The Student Room Group

I'm gay and my family won't accept me

My family don't accept me because I'm gay, I live in the same house as my mother and I haven't spoken to her properly for 5 days , just because I'm a lesbian she don't wanna talk to me she thinks I'm disgusting
Sorry to hear that :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by Tia1996
My family don't accept me because I'm gay, I live in the same house as my mother and I haven't spoken to her properly for 5 days , just because I'm a lesbian she don't wanna talk to me she thinks I'm disgusting

I'd say to give it time and she might get over it; I'm so sorry to hear your parents aren't supportive :frown:
Original post by Tia1996

That's awful, I'm sorry. I hope that she will come round. If not, do you have any other family or friends you could stay with?
Reply 4
Original post by fefssdf
I'd say to give it time and she might get over it; I'm so sorry to hear your parents aren't supportive :frown:

Thank you & I just live with my mum.
Your mother honestly sounds like an awful person. I would tell her how it is and say 'accept me for who I am or we're finished' and I don't mean to rub it in, but you're better off without her. Also, cred for telling people online about your sexuality, especially since anti-LGBT attitudes are rife on the WWW these days.
Reply 6
Original post by Platopus
That's awful, I'm sorry. I hope that she will come round. If not, do you have any other family or friends you could stay with?

I have no one I can go stay with , my whole family don't like the fact that I'm gay, so I'm just gonor keep my head down until I save enough money to move out. Thank you though
Original post by Tia1996
I have no one I can go stay with , my whole family don't like the fact that I'm gay, so I'm just gonor keep my head down until I save enough money to move out. Thank you though

I wish I had better advice for you, that is truly horrendous. Could you talk to a teacher at school? Or call childline? Alternatively, you could talk to social services and either get a social worker to try and help smooth things over at home or, failing that, provide you with an alternative residence.
Reply 8
Original post by Tia1996

What huge knobs.
I hate people who don't accept other people for who they are because there's nothing wrong with them, you're a lesbian so what? What does that change about you besides your sexual preference, you're not having a ****ing plastic surgery to make you look different, what's the bloody big deal????
Reply 9
Original post by Adamski191
Your mother honestly sounds like an awful person. I would tell her how it is and say 'accept me for who I am or we're finished' and I don't mean to rub it in, but you're better off without her. Also, cred for telling people online about your sexuality, especially since anti-LGBT attitudes are rife on the WWW these days.

Getting a lot of good feed back and support from a lot of people on here. I respect what your saying and also I guess some ppl will never understand smh! , thanks though
my dad cried his eyes out when he came out to me cuz he thought id cut contact with him and he said hed understand if thats what i wanted to do.
when he told me, i literally just said "yea, and?" and carried on eating my dinner

wish your mum was as supportive as i was with my dad
Reply 11
Original post by shawtyb
my dad cried his eyes out when he came out to me cuz he thought id cut contact with him and he said hed understand if thats what i wanted to do.
when he told me, i literally just said "yea, and?" and carried on eating my dinner

wish your mum was as supportive as i was with my dad

Aww; that sounds so sad but good also , I'm glad your dad took it in that way, wish my mum and family did .. I'll be alright doe, thank you
Original post by Tia1996
Aww; that sounds so sad but good also , I'm glad your dad took it in that way, wish my mum and family did .. I'll be alright doe, thank you

i remember it like it was yesterday but it was over 5 years ago.
he was that relieved, he went and called his friends (he obviously told them his plan to tell me)

well theyv not exactly got an option but to like it or lump it im afraid so just be who you are
1996? So you are 20? To be fair you are old enough to be living at uni or get your own place so if she chucks that at you, then it's likely time that you did.

As far as sexuality goes, you need to have a talk about sex, sexuality is not an ultimatum - either one or the other and she as a mother might have completely missed something important with you discovering more about the world and how you define your identity.

It would be good to sit down and have a conversation about the future and what a relationship is and how it can develop in to something serious which then leads to marriage and settling together into a home and starting a family and with the decision to choose a particular sex means not the traditional route for these things to happen.

Some girls have a phase when developing their sexuality from 16 years to 17, 18, 19 and find other girls attractive but then settle with a man. To be honest to like both men and women is not a bad things when you can get to have as much choice as you like!

I don't really know too much of what I am talking about so just have a conversation about where you are at, where she is in your life and what plans can happen in the future and most of all you need understanding not just of you but of your mother who doesn't want you feeling confused and hurt but too learn and love :biggrin:
Original post by post-grad-u-ate

It would be good to sit down and have a conversation about the future and what a relationship is and how it can develop in to something serious which then leads to marriage and settling together into a home and starting a family and with the decision to choose a particular sex means not the traditional route for these things to happen.

Some girls have a phase when developing their sexuality from 16 years to 17, 18, 19 and find other girls attractive but then settle with a man. To be honest to like both men and women is not a bad things when you can get to have as much choice as you like!

I don't really know too much of what I am talking about so just have a conversation about where you are at, where she is in your life and what plans can happen in the future and most of all you need understanding not just of you but of your mother who doesn't want you feeling confused and hurt but too learn and love :biggrin:

She didn't choose a particular sex, it's just that way.

You sound like you're dismissing her sexuality as a lesbian and trying to get her to identify as bi instead. (Kinda really rude tbh, you don't see LGBT people telling straight people 'it's a phase! you never know!')

If the mother didn't want her to hurt, she wouldn't ignore her. Pretty sure OP isn't the confused one in this scenario.
Original post by Tia1996

Try to use the word lezza, lesbian or other lesbo derivative. Altho your technically correct, gay is typically used to describe man love rather than female minge munchers.

Anyway sexuality is very personal. I never see the need to "come out". To avoid issues such as this, best to not mention it at all. I know how you feel tho because I am the only gay in my village.
I'm so sorry you're going through this! Hopefully in time things will get better. Show her that you're just the same beautiful person as you were before - nothings changed, she just knows your real sexuality colour now. Now you should tell her yours eye colour, hair colour, height. She'll accept them for what they are because you can't change them, and it's the same for one's sexuality. xx

Quick Reply

Latest