The Student Room Group

Which gender is under more pressure nowadays?

So I was watching a documentary by Reggie Yates a while back called Extreme UK (it isn't on BBC iplayer anymore so I can't link it) and he was talking about the rise of men getting their bodies surgically altered in order to look more toned, so they would get more attention. He interviewed a guy who had plastic fillers put into his pectorals and while I was watching, it got me thinking. Are men under more pressure or is it women? Nowadays on the media and all, models are photoshopped to look as if they actually do conform to Western standards of beauty and so we all feel a pressure of some sort at some point.

So yeah, the question basically is, are men under more pressure to look good or are women under a lot more pressure?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So I was watching a documentary by Reggie Yates a while back called Extreme UK (it isn't on BBC iplayer anymore so I can't link it) and he was talking about the rise of men getting their bodies surgically altered in order to look more toned, so they would get more attention. He interviewed a guy who had plastic fillers put into his pectorals and while I was watching, it got me thinking. Are men under more pressure or is it women? Nowadays on the media and all, models are photoshopped to look as if they actually do conform to Western standards of beauty and so we all feel a pressure of some sort at some point.

So yeah, the question basically is, are men under more pressure to look good or are women under a lot more pressure?

I've seen that documentary too. It was pretty shocking. Personally, I think both genders are now under equal pressure but it expresses itself in different ways.
Original post by Platopus
I've seen that documentary too. It was pretty shocking. Personally, I think both genders are now under equal pressure but it expresses itself in different ways.

It shocked me so much tbh. But Reggie did put it across pretty well.

What do mean by expressing in different ways?

Answer has been reached in one post :lol:
Original post by SeanFM
Answer has been reached in one post :lol:

:colonhash:
It shocked me so much tbh. But Reggie did put it across pretty well.

What do mean by expressing in different ways?

Well, for example, men are under pressure to work out and have a six pack while women are under pressure to be stick thin. That leads to a lot of men developing an unhealthy obsession with exercise and a lot of women, with dieting (though obviously there are instances where this is reversed).
Reply 6
If i had $1 for every gender there is, i'd have precisely $2.
Well, for example, men are under pressure to work out and have a six pack while women are under pressure to be stick thin. That leads to a lot of men developing an unhealthy obsession with exercise and a lot of women, with dieting (though obviously there are instances where this is reversed).

Ahh yeah. Women are under pressure to have big boobs, a big ass, a flat stomach, skinny legs and a thigh gap. Honestly sounds so unrealistic to me :/
Ahh yeah. Women are under pressure to have big boobs, a big ass, a flat stomach, skinny legs and a thigh gap. Honestly sounds so unrealistic to me :/

Couldn't agree more. And equally, it's unrealistic to expect every man to have perfect six pack abs,
Couldn't agree more. And equally, it's unrealistic to expect every man to have perfect six pack abs,

It is so sad that it's got to the point where men are doing plastic surgery. The guy who was interviewed was like in his early 20s or something?
It is so sad that it's got to the point where men are doing plastic surgery. The guy who was interviewed was like in his early 20s or something?

It is awful :frown: As a woman, I would find an unattractive out of shape man infinitely more attractive than one who looked athletic but had had plastic surgery. Not that that guy looked very attractive...
It is awful :frown: As a woman, I would find an unattractive out of shape man infinitely more attractive than one who looked athletic but had had plastic surgery. Not that that guy looked very attractive...

I think one of the reasons as to why people don't realise men are under a lot of pressure too is because men don't openly talk about insecurities as much as women do.
Original post by saeed9758

Transphobe :colonhash:

What about agender, bigender and genderfluid?
I think one of the reasons as to why people don't realise men are under a lot of pressure too is because men don't openly talk about insecurities as much as women do.

Yes, it's seen as immasculine to express any sort of weakness which is such a pity. I see it in my brother.
Original post by chemting

no
Reply 15
guys mirin [video="youtube;VRQA2iGnvzg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQA2iGnvzg[/video]brah
Original post by chemting

^ Cant tell if troll or actual regressive. We can exclude obvious troll though.

Original post by saeed9758

Very triggering.
(edited 7 years ago)
By the sound of it they were just lazy and couldn't be bothered to put the time/effort in to get the physique naturally. Only the mentally weak feel the pressure of the media BS and actually act on it by getting surgery. That being said, a lot of this generation and the coming ones are going to be mentally weak so this is going to be the norm soon.
First off this is my opinion.

From an aestetic and body image point of view I think both genders are under almost equal amounts of pressure, however women's issues seem to be addressed far more often than mens. I don't think I've seen anything that addresses male body issues.

From a society point of view I would probably say men. Men's issues just get laughed at, ignored and third wave feminists seem to act like they don't exist or that they shouldn't be addressed at all because according to their backwards, hypocritical logic, women's issues are more important. We seem to be expected to grit our teeth and stay quiet about things that affect us.

Regardless of which gender is under more or less pressure they should both be worked on as much as each other.

This is the result of celebrities and the media portrayal. Every girl wants to be like kim kardashian, thats why they would do anything to get a big ass or big tits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending