The Student Room Group

advice for going to lanzarote?

HIya,
I'm going on holiday for the first time in 6 years with friends to lanzarote I'm just wondering if anyones been before (or somewhere similar) and has any advice? Like any essentials that I should take, spending money ect, what the prices are like out there, and what you reccomend to do? We have half board, so breakfast and dinner so food isnt too much of an issue.
This may surprise you, but Lanzarote in the Canary Islands is turning into a rather upmarket destination. Don’t expect anything glitzy or flashy though; this quiet revolution is all about staying in chic, eco-friendly places and spending your days cycling, walking, surfing or sampling the local wines.
Original post by frankie040897
HIya,
I'm going on holiday for the first time in 6 years with friends to lanzarote I'm just wondering if anyones been before (or somewhere similar) and has any advice? Like any essentials that I should take, spending money ect, what the prices are like out there, and what you reccomend to do? We have half board, so breakfast and dinner so food isnt too much of an issue.

I went a few years ago you can't drink the water unless it been boiled so bottled water is a must and you will go through about 3 gallons in a week

Spoiler

Reply 3
Where are you staying?

Rent a car if you are old enough, easiest way to visit places. Be warned though, alcohol level for driving is less than in England, it's essentially the same as in Scotland.
Reply 4
Original post by jamesthehustler
I went a few years ago you can't drink the water unless it been boiled so bottled water is a must and you will go through about 3 gallons in a week

Spoiler

Water is generally fine to drink in Lanzarote. Tastes not great but doesn't need to be boiled. But at €1,50 for 5 litres it makes sense to buy it.
Original post by offhegoes
Water is generally fine to drink in Lanzarote. Tastes not great but doesn't need to be boiled. But at €1,50 for 5 litres it makes sense to buy it.

that changed since i went then
admittedly it was 11 years ago
I went in 2007 ... great place. Definitely check out the big volcano that you can drive up to the top, that's pretty cool. Definitely check out Tito's karaoke bar if its still there and the club near it and then the Centro further down where all the bars and clubs are, it's a cool night out and right by the beach too. Atomic Revolution is worth checking out for the cheap shots. You can literally stumble across the road and be laying on the beach, or doing whatever else you want to on the beach. :wink:

Wear plenty of sunscreen and watch out for gangs of Moroccans late at night, pickpockets, rogue taxi drivers and all the usual southern Europe warnings.
Original post by Elton Brown
This may surprise you, but Lanzarote in the Canary Islands is turning into a rather upmarket destination. Don’t expect anything glitzy or flashy though; this quiet revolution is all about staying in chic, eco-friendly places and spending your days cycling, walking, surfing or sampling the local wines.

When I went it was all about fire shows, ladies in bikinis dancing on the bars pouring cheap rum into your mouth, €10 happy hours, mix shots, loud music, drugs, street fights and copious amounts of intercourse. Well, in Del Carmen anyway maybe not the rest of the island.

Sounds like it's going proper downhill now! ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest