The Student Room Group

6th form choices - WHICH ONE?? ALSO NEED FURTHER MATHS ADVICE!!!

option A: maths biology chemistry psychology (chemical engineering) - A levels

option b: maths, further maths, chem and psychology - A levels

(or if I get crap GCSEs then option c: btec dance JK)

I reckon I got an A in maths for my june 2016 gcse and that I was a few marks off an A*, personally I enjoy maths and I am pretty confident but when it comes to the exam I go blank but do you think it's a risk taking FM for A-levels??

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to take FM then you should be able to get an A* at GCSE easily, but if you know you didn't work hard enough and that you have the ability then of course you can succeed. I would say option 1, but it really depends on how well you think you could do in FM. What did you get in GCSE bio?
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
If you want to take FM then you should be able to get an A* at GCSE easily, but if you know you didn't work hard enough and that you have the ability then of course you can succeed. I would say option 1, but it really depends on how well you think you could do in FM. What did you get in GCSE bio?

I'm good at maths tbh i didn't do as well because I made calculation errors i know that I got 95% of the marks available of the a* questions on both papers but basic things like fractions I messed up on, I'd be lucky to scrape an a* because of this 😒😒 and biology I enjoy but I really dislike data application questions like analysing tables and then applying biology, other than that I'm fine with it, biology is actually my weakest science when it comes to the exams but the easiest when it comes to revision and practice I don't understand why but :/: I find chemistry super easy even without revision in comparison and enjoy studying the periodic table but anyways I'm way more keen on the maths than biology so idk which option to choose

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm in a similar boat as you and have been contemplating doing furthermaths for the last few months...
I would say ask your teacher if they think you're capable and consider the work loads of different course; I know loads of people who did A-level chemistry and flopped at it and from what I have read, it's one of the hardest A levels if not, the hardest.
Obviously this is all down to personal capability but from the sounds of it, you are taking very difficult A-levels, and even psychology there is so much to remember. So bare in mind you'd be taking on an immense workload and make sure you're motivated. If you want to succeed at A-levels (maths and sciences) you can't slack off and you have to revise all the time!

One more thing, if you are looking a chemical engineering, surely physics would be a more sensible option to take since it is a form of engineering?
Reply 4
Original post by nadiakms
option A: maths biology chemistry psychology (chemical engineering) - A levels

option b: maths, further maths, chem and psychology - A levels

(or if I get crap GCSEs then option c: btec dance JK)

I reckon I got an A in maths for my june 2016 gcse and that I was a few marks off an A*, personally I enjoy maths and I am pretty confident but when it comes to the exam I go blank but do you think it's a risk taking FM for A-levels??

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get an A then theres nothing stopping you from doing maths and further maths. I did get an A* at gcse but I did TONNES of revision for it and I have found Alevel maths/ fm to be much more interesting and also easier to get the top grades. If you like maths then I would recommend doing further maths as well, as its a really valuable subject to have and for AS you only have to do one ' further pure' unit but the other 2 modules are from ' normal ' maths.... you could always get the book and see how you find it ? :smile:
Reply 5
People always say that you need specific gcse grades for certain A levels but I know of people with A's in AS who didn't get A/A*'s in the subject they were gonna study so don't think that because you didn't get a certain gcse grade that you're not good enough x
Reply 6
Original post by J.Page
I'm in a similar boat as you and have been contemplating doing furthermaths for the last few months...
I would say ask your teacher if they think you're capable and consider the work loads of different course; I know loads of people who did A-level chemistry and flopped at it and from what I have read, it's one of the hardest A levels if not, the hardest.
Obviously this is all down to personal capability but from the sounds of it, you are taking very difficult A-levels, and even psychology there is so much to remember. So bare in mind you'd be taking on an immense workload and make sure you're motivated. If you want to succeed at A-levels (maths and sciences) you can't slack off and you have to revise all the time!

One more thing, if you are looking a chemical engineering, surely physics would be a more sensible option to take since it is a form of engineering?

I have been told that I don't need physics for chemical engineering so lucky me and universities just expect maths and chemistry if I want to do chemical engineering and thank you for your advice I appreciate it I reckon I can cope with stress tbh I'm actually missing my exams as I had something to focus on !! And I psychology as I kinda want a subject that I could do research on as I enjoy researching and finding out information but memorising will be dreadful but I'll learn to deal with it. Thank youuu good luck btw x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by fefssdf
If you get an A then theres nothing stopping you from doing maths and further maths. I did get an A* at gcse but I did TONNES of revision for it and I have found Alevel maths/ fm to be much more interesting and also easier to get the top grades. If you like maths then I would recommend doing further maths as well, as its a really valuable subject to have and for AS you only have to do one ' further pure' unit but the other 2 modules are from ' normal ' maths.... you could always get the book and see how you find it ? :smile:

Thank you so much I have seen the spec and got a little excited tbh maths I love and enjoy so I'm willing to put effort it. So are you finding it quite easy? I'm happy for you, but is FM harder than normal maths or is it just more things to learn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by fefssdf
People always say that you need specific gcse grades for certain A levels but I know of people with A's in AS who didn't get A/A*'s in the subject they were gonna study so don't think that because you didn't get a certain gcse grade that you're not good enough x

much love thank you so much for motivating me and making me feel better ! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank you so much I have seen the spec and got a little excited tbh maths I love and enjoy so I'm willing to put effort it. So are you finding it quite easy? I'm happy for you, but is FM harder than normal maths or is it just more things to learn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did it at AS level, and I really enjoyed it but unfortunately my school didn't teach it so it was self - taught so i had to drop it at A2.. but yeh I wouldn't say it is harder ... it is just ' different ' . Doing further maths will also mean you become better at normal maths as skills such as differentiation and coordinate geometry are used in both so its like when you revise for further maths you're also revising for normal maths :smile: If i were you id go on youtube and watch some videos from the first chapter of fp1 - search complex numbers fp1 on youtube and you'll learn about imaginary numbers ... yeh square root -1 is a thing in further maths heheh
much love thank you so much for motivating me and making me feel better ! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

its ok, the great thing about alevels is that effort gets you the grades but being smart doesn't because I know of several students who gained straight As at gcse but flopped so honestly just make sure you have self motivation and there's no reason why you can't succeed :smile:
Id say take FM then, but if you want to go into engineering then physics would be a good idea, at least up to AS.
I would advise you to choose maths as you enjoy it more......however there's a lot to learn if you do 4 subjects in a year - but it's achievable if you work hard and don't mind having a full timetable each week. My tip would be to get the relevant books and read ahead over the summer holidays. There's great websites and videos available to help you. It will help you to get ahead of the game and I found that the last 2 maths modules were rushed as time was running out.

Quick Reply

Latest