The Student Room Group

grammar school? Is it right for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mediaya
Oh okay, i never had to make a personal statement....... Dont even know how u make it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got help from someone :tongue:

You just have to summarise your situation and tell 'em why you wanna go to that PARTICULAR school (obv using good vocab)

Mine was a little easier as my current/previous school is sh*t, and the students get sh*t grades, I wrote about my school's GCSE pass rate, which was like 23% in 2014, so I knew that if I mention that and then they look at my predicted grades, they would be impressed even though I may not have 10 A*'s, coz coming from a school where people get mostly D's, F's and U's, getting a few A*'s(in my case) is equivalent or more than getting 10A*'s in a high performing school, to them.

So I guess you could say I got lucky, however when I say teaching at my school was sh*t, I mean SH*T! :tongue:

And I'm also fortunate that I realised that I had to get good grades about 4/5 months ago and started studying, coz at that time I was getting D's, F's and U's for most, if not all, of my subjects(Including English, Maths and Science)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hamza772000
I got help from someone :tongue:

You just have to summarise your situation and tell 'em why you wanna go to that PARTICULAR school (obv using good vocab)

Mine was a little easier as my current/previous school is sh*t, and the students get sh*t grades, I wrote about my school's GCSE pass rate, which was like 23% in 2014, so I knew that if I mention that and then they look at my predicted grades, they would be impressed even though I may not have 10 A*'s, coz coming from a school where people get mostly D's, F's and U's, getting a few A*'s(in my case) is equivalent or more than getting 10A*'s in a high performing school, to them.

So I guess you could say I got lucky, however when I say teaching at my school was sh*t, I mean SH*T! :tongue:

And I'm also fortunate that I realised that I had to get good grades about 4/5 months ago and started studying, coz at that time I was getting D's, F's and U's for most, if not all, of my subjects(Including English, Maths and Science)

23%.....:K:.... Seriously that's....... Super low... You must have self taught yourself there :redface:, but that shows how clever and independent you are :biggrin:, if i was the sixth form i would have begged you to come there....

WELL DONE BRO !!!!!!! proud of you (now i feel well inferior than you coz am not expecting to get ALL A*s eventhough i come from a good school (well better than yours at least) :ashamed2:.... But still am fine with that:biggrin:
Oh thanks, u wrote alot for me :colondollar:
So ur saying that sixth forms are attached to you high school, further education college have adults too (16+ years old) and sixth firm college only teach level 3 qualifications such as alevel and btec etc.... (16-19 years old). Correct me if am wrong, thanks
Original post by mediaya
23%.....:K:.... Seriously that's....... Super low... You must have self taught yourself there :redface:, but that shows how clever and independent you are :biggrin:, if i was the sixth form i would have begged you to come there....

WELL DONE BRO !!!!!!! proud of you (now i feel well inferior than you coz am not expecting to get ALL A*s eventhough i come from a good school (well better than yours at least) :ashamed2:.... But still am fine with that:biggrin:
Yeah, its super sh*t :tongue:

I did self teach myself, yeah, had to :smile:

I'm not clever at all, I would say I'm average.

WTH!! I'm not superior to no one, just coz I went to a sh*t school, doesn't mean I'm superior to anyone, I hate when people think they're superior or even inferior, its not your fault I went to a sh*t school!

It has taught me and helped me a lot though, in terms of independent learning and not relying on teachers for almost ANYTHING.

Not everyone gets all A*'s, as long as you're happy with yourself, no one can say anything to you :wink:

Thanks for the kind words :smile:

btw, nice use of emojis :biggrin:
LOL, I was going to give you a rep but got busy replying to other post, but it's done now :h:

I knew what they were, but just didnt know which one was which.... But niw i know thanks. No worrues for the details... That shows how much you want to help me :colondollar:

Oohh of course i love ur new pic :smile:
Yeah, its super sh*t :tongue:

I did self teach myself, yeah, had to :smile:

I'm not clever at all, I would say I'm average.

WTH!! I'm not superior to no one, just coz I went to a sh*t school, doesn't mean I'm superior to anyone, I hate when people think they're superior or even inferior, its not your fault I went to a sh*t school!

It has taught me and helped me a lot though, in terms of independent learning and not relying on teachers for almost ANYTHING.

Not everyone gets all A*'s, as long as you're happy with yourself, no one can say anything to you :wink:

Thanks for the kind words :smile:

btw, nice use of emojis :biggrin:

Wow calm down! I never said u were superior to me, only said i FELT inferior...... Not the same thing:wink:

You're welcome and thanks:u:, i love to use emojis:smile::wink::biggrin:
Original post by mediaya
Wow calm down! I never said u were superior to me, only said i FELT inferior...... Not the same thing:wink:

You're welcome and thanks:u:, i love to use emojis:smile::wink::biggrin:
lol, sorry :redface:

What I meant was I don't want you to feel inferior, ygm? coz then that makes me feel like sh*t. :frown:
Oh yes i hate when i rep someone and they say "you have already reped this person", it makes me sooooooooo angry...... But yh it's life.....

I love super mario, i used to play it on wii and then my little sister broke it :sigh: by throwing it (she didnt know, she was just being curious.....)

Btw, how many brothers and sisters do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol, sorry :redface:

What I meant was I don't want you to feel inferior, ygm? coz then that makes me feel like sh*t. :frown:

I know that's what u meant, lol :yep:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mediaya
I know that's what u meant, lol :yep:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dunno its just my sh*t, lol erm.. it was the appropriate word to describe my school and situation so...........
I dunno its just my sh*t, lol erm.. it was the appropriate word to describe my school and situation so...........

That means u know what is the dictionary definition..... So what is it?
I have a 2 brothers, 17 and 14 and a younger sister, 2 :biggrin:
Original post by mediaya
That means u know what is the dictionary definition..... So what is it?
Yes, I do........POO!
Yes i am grateful to have brothers:biggrin: (that really annoy me alot:sigh:)
Don't be sad if u dont have brothers (well you probably have hamza :yep::biggrin:)
I wish i had a sister of my age, i only had her recently and before i used to be all alone :dontknow:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I do........POO!

:ahee: hahahah, never thought of such a simple definition :yes: but now i am........... No nothing:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mediaya
:ahee: hahahah, never thought of such a simple definition :yes: but know i am........... No nothing:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh c'mon you can't do this, mine was different, finish it off!!! PLEASE :tongue:
Oh c'mon you can't do this, mine was different, finish it off!!! PLEASE :tongue:

LOL, i dont know what i was gonna write myself, i put the "i am..." just to make you feel like i feel when you that :biggrin::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mediaya
LOL, i dont know what i was gonna write myself, i put the "i am..." just to make you feel like i feel when you that :biggrin::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, tbh I didn't know what I was gonna write too..... :tongue:
Grammar Schools expect their pupils to be independent in student's learning and organisation. You are expected to know a lot of the basics before you enter a lesson so you should spend your time going over the textbooks. In terms of the students, they are quite competitive with each other (ie they are always comparing grades and sport achievements). The grammar school that i am currently attending has a major focus on extra-curricular activities such as chess, debating, STEM challenges, national competitions so there are lots of clubs and societies you can join. So, if you want to join a grammar school you should be prepared to an active learner, a social person and a confident person.
After doing these exams, I feel like I have definitely met the requirements. Wbu?

:crossedf: Hoping I do! But I'm unsure :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest