The Student Room Group

Why do women worry about walking alone at night but not men?

Just curious as to why people have this belief.

The reason people would be worried is because of the number of victims, so, when we look at victims, we see that around 33% of violent crime victims are female.

Women are half as likely to be attacked on the street as men, so why do people think this way?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe, in those cases, women suffer from sexual assault which can be worse than getting robbed or injured.
Mass hysteria? Victim complex? Perpetuation by the media that all women are vulnerable, passive sheep? Normalised misandry? Biological instinct from being physically weaker throughout human history?

Probably some combination of all of them. Although I would add, that a LOT of women I know aren't that scared of walking alone at night. Or no more then your average male anyway. Especially not those in our generation.
Reply 3
Well most rape victims are female... howEVER you're way more likely to be raped by someone you know than by a random stranger in the streets so

Probably parents who raise their daughters up in fear of going outside alone at night.
I mean... worked for me :lol:
Women are physically weaker and thus easier targets. I know if I was walking alone at night on the streets and someone threatened to do what they said (like give them my money/phone) I would try and run or just do what they say as I wouldn't stand a chance at fighting. If the same were to happen to my brother or male friends, depending on the situation they would probably resist or fight.
Women are vastly inferior physically to men. No argument.
We're generally smaller and weaker than men, so we feel more vulnerable and less able to protect ourselves.:redface:
women are smol
Original post by littlenorthernlass
We're generally smaller and weaker than men, so we feel more vulnerable and less able to protect ourselves.:redface:

Plus men may exploit that.

Especially when ti comes to physical sexual violence.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Plus men may exploit that.

Especially when ti comes to physical sexual violence.

Well of course. Personally, I know that if I ever get cornered, I'll give them a punch in the balls and bite their arm.
I can't speak for other women, but I'm a 5'1'' girl who sometimes can't open heavy doors, so there goes my chance of protecting myself :colondollar: I mean, I'd obviously try, but I doubt I could do much.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Well of course. Personally, I know that if I ever get cornered, I'll give them a punch in the balls and bite their arm.

:top:

Wetting yourself is also another strategy you can employ.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Women are vastly inferior physically to men. No argument.

This
Maybe...just maybe...because, on average, they are considerably smaller and weaker than their male counterparts and thus make for more vulnerable targets.
Reply 14
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Maybe...just maybe...because, on average, they are considerably smaller and weaker than their male counterparts and thus make for more vulnerable targets.

You've cracked it mate!!
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
:top:

Wetting yourself is also another strategy you can employ.

Unfortunately I cannot wee on command.
I think another problem is that women are more vocal about their fears of going out at night alone, not saying that this is illogical. But I know for a fact I don't really like going out on my own but anyone male saying it if it got out it could be social suicide
Reply 17
As a female I've always been brought up watching crime shows that depict the stereotype of a solo woman, walking in a back alley when some big dude grabs her off the street. That, combined with my parents warning me not to walk at night and various PSAs on the subject has made me paranoid. I am also 5'9 but very skinny and generally unable to defend myself... That, and the fact that I personally do not live in a particularly safe area.... It would probably be naive to think that I would ever feel safe.
It is probably irrational to think that I will be the one to get raped/murdered/kidnapped when there are 1000s of other people and therefore my chances are very low, but.... still. I'd rather not take chances with my life lmao
Well, considering us girls got taught self-defense and what to do if we were ever assaulted when we were 13, told that we shouldn't be listening to music on winter mornings/evenings because we couldn't hear someone coming up behind us in the dark, shown how to hold our keys as a weapon and how to swing our school bag at someone's head or stomach (they were very heavy bags, so it was a pretty good weapon) if they tried to grab us... All in school, when we were either pre-teens or only just teenagers.

We've had it drilled into us for years that there are people out there who are going to take advantage of the fact that we're smaller or weaker, that we're wearing skirts and heels, that we're walking alone in the dark. Statistically it probably won't happen, no. Statistically most rapes are committed by someone that the victim already knew. That doesn't stop us from having that moment of utter terror when we're walking alone and we hear footsteps behind us, or when it's getting dark and a bunch of men slow down to holler at us out of a car window, that we're going to end up being the statistical anomaly.
Are you being serious? Answer this. When was the last time you heard about a man being gang raped on a street corner?

Quick Reply

Latest