The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RamPaigeTheSky
Not trying to sound funny, but PLEASE go to the GP and check to see if you have panic disorder. What you've just said about the feeling of hopelessness and failure as well as the shaking, hyperventilating etc. are all signs of panic disorder. I had similar symptoms and I ended up being diagnoed with panic disorder. [This doesn't mean that there's a 100% chance that you've got it, it could be something more complex or simple]

I think a trip to the GP will have to wait until I've had another or a few more, I don't want to attribute one panic attack to having a disorder, at least to stay positive I shouldn't think that I do have it.

By hopeless I don't mean in life or in general, I mean with our relationship. She is suffering from possible depression due to reasons I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing even though I am anonymous. I feel like she doesn't accept any of my help and our conversations have become less frequent and I panic that it's all because of me and in panicking I do stupid things like double message her when she doesn't reply, but in not replying she's properly busy. I need to stop doing that. With a 4 month summer holiday ahead with a few trips out with friends planned, I feel like I have nothing but my own brain to combat and my own thoughts which catalyses the stupidity that I display. I don't feel that I'm mentally ill, I just feel extremely down for everything that has happened and I attribute it to myself when I know that it isn't me, but I can't help but think it is me.

I can't really explain it well, but there you go
i hate what my meds have done to me. i was warned i would gain weight but i wasnt noticing any changes until the other day.

weight

. this is the first bit of motivation i have had in ages to get something done. i haven't taken them in a few days but i feel ok for now we'll see how it goes
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lettherebedrums
i hate what my meds have done to me. i was warned i would gain weight but i wasnt noticing any changes until the other day. 5 ****ing stone in less than two months. this is the first bit of motivation i have had in ages to get something done. i haven't taken them in a few days but i feel ok for now we'll see how it goes

I know how you feel -

weight

(edited 7 years ago)
BTW guys, I've spoilered a couple of posts. Some people with EDs in particular can find discussions of weight triggering - just a heads up. :smile:

Original post by lettherebedrums
i hate what my meds have done to me. i was warned i would gain weight but i wasnt noticing any changes until the other day.

weight

. this is the first bit of motivation i have had in ages to get something done. i haven't taken them in a few days but i feel ok for now we'll see how it goes

Same here. :frown:

weight

It might be worth you going to your GP to ask for blood tests to see if anything else is causing/contributing to this. And definitely tell your psychiatrist.
(edited 7 years ago)
I just had a lab exam. There were 80 questions, I knew maybe 6..... I even forgot really simple things like the name for the retina. :facepalm: Voices were so loud, I couldn't think at all. I can't believe I let them get to me so much. I'm such a loser.
(edited 7 years ago)
Booked a private counselling session for next week. No idea how to get there or keep it a secret from my parents...
Should have done this while I was still at uni
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, yesterday night I had a huge panic attack, I couldn't stop hyperventilating or shaking. I couldn't sleep, nor have I been able to sleep for a good two weeks now. I can't get on with my day, I can't think straight and I can't focus on anything.
My life objectively would be seen as probably very good, I come from a quite fortunate background, I'm studying the degree that I want (Physical Natural Sciences) at the University I want (Cambridge) achieving the grades that I want (Currently on a comfortable first class). My life has been successful all around. But something nags me. I'm not quite willing to share why I think I had this panic attack, but I don't have a history with mental health or anything, I have been very clean with regards to that. However, I have had to deal with very close friends who are/have gone/going through depression for various reasons, but I'm quite sure that this has nothing to do with it.
How do you deal with a panic attack? I would like to think it was a one off, but recently I'm not too sure anymore.

I've been feeling quite down recently with various events striking me. Things that I thought were going well, weren't. Things that I thought I had under control, weren't. I feel like I'm being pushed away, neglected. And my responses to those are negative and filled with emotion. I don't know how to deal with it.

:hi: Fellow NatSci here. I would say that you are right not to go rushing to your doctor after one panic attack, but keep an eye on things (especially if you start getting them completely out of the blue/with no kind of trigger whatsoever) I'd say that speaking to your wellbeing services might be a good place to start. They will usually have sessions where you can talk about general things that you are finding hard to deal with, and they should be able to support/refer you on if appropriate. It can't hurt to talk to someone.
Original post by Sabertooth
I just had a lab exam. There were 80 questions, I knew maybe 6..... I even forgot really simple things like the name for the retina. :facepalm: Voices were so loud, I couldn't think at all. I can't believe I let them get to me so much. I'm such a loser.

Just gonna leave this here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9UJVtgPZY
Original post by Ezme39
Thank you :biggrin:

No worries!!
What are you studying? xxxxx
Thats me ^^^^
Original post by ScaryScience
:hi: Fellow NatSci here. I would say that you are right not to go rushing to your doctor after one panic attack, but keep an eye on things (especially if you start getting them completely out of the blue/with no kind of trigger whatsoever) I'd say that speaking to your wellbeing services might be a good place to start. They will usually have sessions where you can talk about general things that you are finding hard to deal with, and they should be able to support/refer you on if appropriate. It can't hurt to talk to someone.

I'm at home right now. I'd definitely consider the wellbeing services when I get back if my panic attacks continue, right now I'm quite calm, but still quite down. I just hate being like this knowing that everything could've been so much better, but things happen
Had a lot of palpitations today :redface: i hope they go off a bit and that this hasn't brought them back again because they have eased off a bit recently.

~Anon 1
Have ****ed this completely up.
No support from now on because I'm leaving college for good. (Have now officially left) I'm so ****ed and I don't know what to do because I can't tell my parents about this as they think I'm just stupid.
Can't see my GP as can't get a appointment for like 2 weeks and it'll mess work up. Not sure how to tell her (the counsellor) I'm not coming back to college either.

I've completely shot myself in the foot. I'm back at square one and work have no clue about any of this at all. Not only do I loose support, means I have to now maybe pay for my meds from September which means that I'm going to be paying a lot of money each month because of the stupid system.
Original post by Midnightmemories
No support from now on because I'm leaving college for good. (Have now officially left) I'm so ****ed and I don't know what to do because I can't tell my parents about this as they think I'm just stupid.
Can't see my GP as can't get a appointment for like 2 weeks and it'll mess work up. Not sure how to tell her (the counsellor) I'm not coming back to college either.

I've completely shot myself in the foot. I'm back at square one and work have no clue about any of this at all. Not only do I loose support, means I have to now maybe pay for my meds from September which means that I'm going to be paying a lot of money each month because of the stupid system.

Sorry to hear that :console: Maybe it's just not the right time for you at the moment, but it doesn't mean everything is over. In terms of meds, you have 2 options: if you have a low income, then try filling in a HC1 form, which will assess finances and could give you free prescriptions. If not, you can buy a prepayment certificate which I believe is around £25 for three months of prescriptions. (so if you're getting more than one a month, you'll be saving money).
Original post by Anonymous
I'm at home right now. I'd definitely consider the wellbeing services when I get back if my panic attacks continue, right now I'm quite calm, but still quite down. I just hate being like this knowing that everything could've been so much better, but things happen

Unfortunately you can't change the way you feel. It's good you're becoming aware of it early on and it's likely you will be able to nip it in the bud if things progress. A lot of people have to deal with challenges and things that throw them off (I had everything going for me on the outside, but have endured years of hell only to be diagnosed with a personality disorder a couple of years ago) but you can and will get through. All the best.
Had my first appointment with my psychotherapist today (turns out the psychologist is too busy for me but this guy works for her).
I'm pleasantly suprised! He's understood what I'm going through already whereas the previous two never really understood it properly!
I'm impressed and can already feel like he's great at what he does!
Very happy!
Not happy at the damn NHS!
They want me to go to 4 group appointments which are gonna be absolutely useless!
I'm pretty appalled by the NHS and their lack of interest in my family (not just me).

But yes I'm very happy with the new counsellor!
Original post by FireFreezer77
Had my first appointment with my psychotherapist today (turns out the psychologist is too busy for me but this guy works for her).
I'm pleasantly suprised! He's understood what I'm going through already whereas the previous two never really understood it properly!
I'm impressed and can already feel like he's great at what he does!
Very happy!
Not happy at the damn NHS!
They want me to go to 4 group appointments which are gonna be absolutely useless!
I'm pretty appalled by the NHS and their lack of interest in my family (not just me).

But yes I'm very happy with the new counsellor!

So is this guy a private psychotherapist? Can I ask how much he charges? (if you don't want to say don't worry :smile: )

Glad to hear you're getting on so well with him. I really hope he helps you.

As for the NHS, I understand your frustrations. Their incompetence lead to the death of someone very close to me not that long ago. Of course the inquiry turned out to be "lessons have been learned". Scum. :mad:
Original post by Midnightmemories

Have you considered an apprenticeship? (Sorry if I already asked you this before). That way you can learn and get paid at the same time.

Have you looked into getting an NHS 12 month prepayment certificate? It's a bit over 100 pounds but that's for all prescriptions for a year.
Original post by Sabertooth
So is this guy a private psychotherapist? Can I ask how much he charges? (if you don't want to say don't worry :smile: )

Glad to hear you're getting on so well with him. I really hope he helps you.

As for the NHS, I understand your frustrations. Their incompetence lead to the death of someone very close to me not that long ago. Of course the inquiry turned out to be "lessons have been learned". Scum. :mad:

He sure is.
I'll PM you the costs (it's not cheap!)

Thankyou! Me too tbh, my last two therapists were rubbish. There's something about this one that indicates he's a good one.

They're damn awful!
Aw no I'm so sorry to hear that! That's just awful!
That's just ridiculous! Surely they're supposed to help people and know what to do?!
Scum indeed!

How have you been recently? Haven't been here as much as I would've liked.
Original post by ScaryScience
Just gonna leave this here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9UJVtgPZY

Thank you for posting that. I have seen it before but I forgot how much he struggled. I feel less like a failure now.

How I'll feel after I fail the final exam tomorrow, well I'll probably need reminding again. :frown: :colondollar:
Hope everyone is doing well and :hugs: to those who need them!

Have been doing okayish recently, one of my close friends is going through a tough time so am trying to be as supportive as I can for him, but other than that things are alright.

Bought a couple of self-help books online which I am planning to read and implement in my life this summer so I become stronger and tougher mentally.

Latest