The Student Room Group

DSA Accomodation

Hi everyone,

Please can you help me with my query.

Due to my difficulties in HE caused by my disability, my GP has recommended that I am housed in ensuite accomodation.

I understand that this used to be under the remit of DSA, where the additional costs between standard and ensuite accomodation would be funded by DSA.

However, unfortunately, at my needs assessment, I was advised that enhanced accomodation was no longer provided for through the DSA.

Could you please advise me what the procedure is now about the provision of extra accomodation costs due to a disability?

Is it the responsibility of the HEI to fund the additional costs, do the Equality Act (2010)?

Or are there any other sources of funding to cover the extra costs?

I would be grateful if you could please advise me, or sign post me to relevant websites which provide information on this.

Also, there must be students who were half way through their course when funding for enhanced accomodation was stopped by DSA. What happened to them? Surely they did not just lose their funding?

The extra charge really is a concern for me, especially given that I am at a Uni where accomodation costs are rising significantly every year!

Thank you for any help,

DailyMailIsALiar
You need to talk to the uni about this.
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
Hi everyone,

Due to my difficulties in HE caused by my disability, my GP has recommended that I am housed in ensuite accomodation.

I understand that this used to be under the remit of DSA, where the additional costs between standard and ensuite accomodation would be funded by DSA.

However, unfortunately, at my needs assessment, I was advised that enhanced accomodation was no longer provided for through the DSA.

Could you please advise me what the procedure is now about the provision of extra accomodation costs due to a disability?

Is it the responsibility of the HEI to fund the additional costs, do the Equality Act (2010)?

I would be grateful if you could please advise me, or sign post me to relevant websites which provide information on this.

Also, there must be students who were half way through their course when funding for enhanced accomodation was stopped by DSA. What happened to them? Surely they did not just lose their funding?

The extra charge really is a concern for me, especially given that I am at a Uni where accomodation costs are rising significantly every year!

Thank you for any help,

DailyMailIsALiar

I would talk directly to your uni, someone should be able to help in the diabilities dept. I am really sorry to hear about your situation but it is great you have the letter from the GP as evidence to support your cause. As someone who gets DSAs I know how hard it is doing the meetings and paperwork!

wishing you well
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
Hi everyone,

Thank you for any help,

DailyMailIsALiar

I think your DSA Assessor was right that he DSA can no longer fund ensuite accommodation- as personally I need an adapted ensuite bathroom and have also had no help from SFE/DSA for that having applied this year.

So you do really need to talk to your uni- I believe some have taken on that responsibility and will fund the difference. Others are more stingy- it really depends how the institution feels about funding the accommodation costs. As someone applied waiting for A level results am not yet at Uni.

No student will be halfway through their course with funding stopped as the funding regulations applied to your case are the ones current at the point of Application. So if DSA was applied for and granted previous years it is previous regulations that apply that student.

Potentially if it becomes a real problem you maybe able to access the hardship fund.
If your parents income is below a certain level, you can get a bursary from uni. For 2016-2017, it's £1800. Ask your uni if you can use it to pay accommodation costs. If yes, then this will probably cover a good proportion of the difference between the cost of non ensuite room and ensuite. If you won't be entitled to the bursary then send in the gp letter and ask what uni can do.
Original post by Cate1976
If your parents income is below a certain level, you can get a bursary from uni. For 2016-2017, it's £1800. Ask your uni if you can use it to pay accommodation costs. If yes, then this will probably cover a good proportion of the difference between the cost of non ensuite room and ensuite. If you won't be entitled to the bursary then send in the gp letter and ask what uni can do.

The bursary and the income thresholds vary by uni.
Original post by Tiger Rag
The bursary and the income thresholds vary by uni.

I didn't know the bursary amounts varied between uni's. Figure I've quoted is UEA who have reduction in fees as the default but you can use it to get £1800 off accommodation costs. You can also have it as 'cash' paid into your bank account.

Quick Reply

Latest