The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gregorius
So do I; and since I have published with him, my erdos number is 3. :u:

There are quite a lot of us...:colonhash:

Okay you win
Original post by Insight314
Wow. So this is like a pretty usual lemma? I got so excited when I saw how this simple identity is used to prove such a general result, and then how they took out the 1r!\frac{1}{r!} to get to binomial coefficient and binomial expansion just made me rock solid (not literally ofc).

I haven't done stats since Year 9, but I talked to that experienced teacher I was telling you about before and he adviced me to do V&M then Groups and then Analysis, and not to touch D&R nor Probability since D&R requires VC and Probability should be taught sensibly to me since it is first time I do big boy stats.

Well I am not talking about this prticular thing but I mean nested sums in general and switching between our standard sums and double sums as they have done is pretty common in combinatorics and expectation algebra. It is really satisfying when done in stats proofs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Well I am not talking about this prticular thing but I mean nested sums in general and switching between our standard sums and double sums as they have done is pretty common in combinatorics and expectation algebra. It is really satisfying when done in stats proofs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true. Handy hint for anyone who is intimidated by these sorts of formulae: write out the terms of a finite version and arrange them in the patterns suggested by the summation indices. Most of them become blindingly obvious once you do this.
I tried to get a cheap massage today, which ended with me being held hostage in a room with a bunch of thugs that wanted to blackmail me for cash.
My life...
Original post by Gregorius
Very true. Handy hint for anyone who is intimidated by these sorts of formulae: write out the terms of a finite version and arrange them in the patterns suggested by the summation indices. Most of them become blindingly obvious once you do this.

I recall a very nice first prt of a STEP I stats question.
Q12
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/STEP%20I%202010.pdf
There is a trick writing it out if you do it normally but rhe double sum approach works it out nicely aswell even though they essentially do the same thing on summing n copies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EricPiphany
I tried to get a cheap massage today, which ended with me being held hostage in a room with a bunch of thugs that wanted to blackmail me for cash.
My life...

Wat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. Relaxing 5 hours of maths is done for today, gonna continue with V&M tomorrow. It's time for some GoT now! :drool:
Wat

What I said.

I also shaved one of my legs today. I'm not sure why. I gave up before the second leg.
What I said.

I also shaved one of my legs today. I'm not sure why. I gave up before the second leg.

Damn m8. I've never been mugged before and I live in a pretty rough area lol.
My life...

Serious what happened.
Were you on ur ones.
Were they strapped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn m8. I've never been mugged before and I live in a pretty rough area lol.

I didn't actually lose much money, I wasn't having their blackmail, and they were pseudo thugs. Just scared the life out of me.
I didn't actually lose much money, I wasn't having their blackmail, and they were pseudo thugs. Just scared the life out of me.

At least you are well now, ready to do some maths. :biggrin:
Serious what happened.
Were you on ur ones.
Were they strapped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even know what that means. They let me go after I convinced them that I wasn't married, that I didn't have a job, and that I didn't give a **** what people thought of me.

It wasn't that bad, just scared the **** out of me. I'm not tough at all.
I don't even know what that means. They let me go after I convinced them that I wasn't married, that I didn't have a job, and that I didn't give a **** what people thought of me.

It wasn't that bad, just scared the **** out of me. I'm not tough at all.

were you by yourself.
did they have a knife.
were you by yourself.
did they have a knife.

I was by myself. They didn't threaten me with a knife.

He pops in while I'm getting the massage and does something like take a picture and says something to the extent of 'I've got evidence see you later'. I didn't have my glasses on so I'm not sure.

The lady attempts to tell me the guy is crazy, using the two words of English she knows. She also tells me that he wants my money and to hide the cash I had. I only had a spare twenty which went in my shoe. (She insisted I hide it somewhere).

When the guy came in, I tried to brush past him but he pushed me down onto the couch, and then eventually two others came in. But retrospectively they were terrified to leave evidence of doing something illegal, they just wanted to blackmail. I was thinking they were going to pull out knives and get me to strip. But none of that happened, one of the ladies eventually came in and said that I was young and frightened and she wouldn't leave, so they let me go.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was by myself. They didn't threaten me with a knife.

He pops in while I'm getting the massage and does something like take a picture and says something to the extent of 'I've got evidence see you later'. I didn't have my glasses on so I'm not sure.

The lady attempts to tell me the guy is crazy, using the two words of English she knows. She also tells me that he wants my money and to hide the cash I had. I only had a spare twenty which went in my shoe. (She insisted I hide it somewhere).

When the guy came in, I tried to brush past him but he pushed me down onto the couch, and then eventually two others came in. But retrospectively they were terrified to leave evidence of doing something illegal, they just wanted to blackmail. I was thinking they were going to pull out knives and get me to strip. But none of that happened, one of the ladies eventually came in and said that I was young and frightened and she wouldn't leave, so they let me go.

If I were in that situation, I'd try to 'act' (not much acting needed tbh) completely insane

Like babble loads of maths or something

It wouldn't be worth their while to harass a completely insane person, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
If I were in that situation, I'd try to act completely insane

They probably wudda tied you up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I were in that situation, I'd try to act completely insane

I suppose. But these people are brain dead. I told them I was due to a party and people would notice I was missing. Then when I told them I was studying maths and science they said I should've done drama lololol (I can laugh now)
My life...

:gasp:

I would've started crying and screaming
If I were in that situation, I'd try to 'act' (not much acting needed tbh) completely insane

They'd probably poke a hole in you because you're distressing them

Latest

Trending

Trending