The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
@KingBradly Did someone hack your account? One day you're ranting about remainers and the next you're delicately correlating nationalism to Brexit?

Well he has Jimmy Hendrix in his avatar and other than his music Hendrix was known for :o:o:redface:
Original post by 0to100
I'm saying I can't fathom they human being who needs work right and turns it down lol if they do that screw em! If I were in need of work and often times have been I WILL TAKE WHATEVER I can get that doesnt compromise my morals like drug dealing or prostituting someone/myself. And I'm sure I'm NOT alone. So the argument here is, for those people who do want to work but are still unemployed, many of them (granted not all) wanted (needed) to be a plumber, electrician, nanny, cook, cleaner but many times it's not Brtis doing this and so people have come to believe it's Brits "begging and choosing" when the truth is more often than not it's that there's a corrupt system taking in cheap foreign labour and treating em bad most likely underpaying as well, and ignoring Brits who wanted the job, not Brits in general. OR treating em just fine but why not an actual citizen? >_>

Firstly I wasn't saying that, secondly saying from personal work experience, some British workers don't want work; I once employed a few 18 year olds, studying at college (My parents own a restaurant takeaway). When we were quiet, most of them were on their phones most of the time, without using their initiative to look for things to do, and I 'had' to pay them, not that they deserved it.
Original post by 0to100
If you were desperate though you wouldn't think about work though. Think about it mate. Do you seriously believe a Brit in need of a job wouldn't take a job as a plumber, electrician, nanny, cleaner, cashier etc (the jobs "no one wants")?

If desperate, yes.
Poor pay, little security,no progression.
Original post by 0to100
But many of their countries the social mobility is harder so poverty is more...I guess...inevitable for some people and with no chance to escape on top of that. However that doesn't mean they can't live well there either. I get the concept of migrating. I don't get the concept of hiring over your own, as I also said to Boreism if you wanna read the comment I just left them. And I also don't get the concept of turning down work, even though I feel most people would take it. This is why I say it's imperative to start working young so you can build up the experience with all the "jobs no one wants." So it's not as degrading or whatever to do it when you're older. If they didn't go for the job proactively fine but still there's corruption :\

I think employers should just hire whoever can do the job best regardless of race and they should treat all employees with respect. I don't think its fair that they get paid less. I think everyone should be paid equally based on the quality of the work they do. I agree with most of what you say, just not that anyone has entitlement to a job. I think that whoever can do the work best and is willing to work the hardest deserves the job. Just out of interest what would have been your answer to @Blue_Mason 's question:-

"Would you pick fruit for seven days a week for £7.00 an hour?
Sat and Sunday you will work only half a day shift,so a day shift is six hours
Despite having to do a total commute of over two hours a day? "
Original post by ODES_PDES
Well he has Jimmy Hendrix in his avatar and other than his music Hendrix was known for :o:o:redface:

O...kay?

Original post by Boreism
Firstly I wasn't saying that, secondly saying from personal work experience, some British workers don't want work; I once employed a few 18 year olds, studying at college (My parents own a restaurant takeaway). When we were quiet, most of them were on their phones most of the time, without using their initiative to look for things to do, and I 'had' to pay them, not that they deserved it.

Wasn't saying what?
I agree some don't want work and I've said I don't understand those types of people. Then I moved on to say myself and many others would take this embarrassing work like bricklaying or whatever (I know it's not just me because there are Brits who do blue collar work so no one can say no one "wants those jobs"). The anomaly is being offered work and refusing it. So moving on from them the ones who want the work will obviously be the ones looking for it and getting hired or rejected. Many times they are rejected and for a migrant and for unscrupulous reasons to boot. This is why I emphasise 1st off people do want these jobs, and 2ndly, might not be getting them for cheap labour getting them instead. Is this not a problem?
Reply 65
Actually the whole premise for "so desperate they'd take any job" is completely wrong. Brits claim benefits instead because they can. As i said, lazy people who blame migrants for taking their non existent job whilst claiming benefits, money which immigrants funnily enough pay for.
Original post by Blue_Mason
If desperate, yes.
Poor pay, little security,no progression.

Yep. And guess what? Who's easier to toss this kind of work to?? A knowing Brit albeit desperate or a vulnerable peasant worker from another country??

Original post by niv1234
I think employers should just hire whoever can do the job best regardless of race and they should treat all employees with respect. I don't think its fair that they get paid less. I think everyone should be paid equally based on the quality of the work they do. I agree with most of what you say, just not that anyone has entitlement to a job. I think that whoever can do the work best and is willing to work the hardest deserves the job. Just out of interest what would have been your answer to @Blue_Mason 's question:-

"Would you pick fruit for seven days a week for £7.00 an hour?
Sat and Sunday you will work only half a day shift,so a day shift is six hours
Despite having to do a total commute of over two hours a day? "

I hope it's not coming across as me preaching there's entitlement to a job? Entitlement to rights to get a job as a citizen and not getting the job because it's easier to hire people who aren't entitled to those rights I as a citizen have is my issue. You don't know who can do the best anything until you hire them. The issue is hard to compare when some jobs beeline foreigners to be hired all because of this false advertising that no one wants the work! Not yelling at you just those people who do that.

And yes I would do embarrassing work as I've said to other posters just now if I needed the work lol like picking fruit for low pay. However I as a citizen has worker rights that can make sure I get paid properly and work decent hours...the migrant cannot do that and those filthy employers know that.
Does anyone know how benefits work? You can't get many benefits without working or work experience before.

There's JSA and you can only get that if you have in fact WORKED before and for a certain quota of time to be eligible

And there's all sorts of benefits like tax credits but that normally is down to rights as being self employed or having a certain number of kids proportioned with the work you do, and each person gets different amounts according to their personal situation.

Then there's disability rights, like ESA when some people can't work because disabled but used to work, and get support, so let's not have a go at the disabled now :colonhash:

There is literally no one getting for nothing. There is eligibility and even stricter now than before. The cliche of being lazy is moronic and archaic.

Because foreigners aren't entitled to all these benefits and shouldn't be they're not citizens, they instead are accommodated with immediate housing many times. Over British citizens. Fact.
Original post by 0to100
Yep. And guess what? Who's easier to toss this kind of work to?? A knowing Brit albeit desperate or a vulnerable peasant worker from another country??

I hope it's not coming across as me preaching there's entitlement to a job? Entitlement to rights to get a job as a citizen and not getting the job because it's easier to hire people who aren't entitled to those rights I as a citizen have is my issue. You don't know who can do the best anything until you hire them. The issue is hard to compare when some jobs beeline foreigners to be hired all because of this false advertising that no one wants the work! Not yelling at you just those people who do that.

And yes I would do embarrassing work as I've said to other posters just now if I needed the work lol like picking fruit for low pay. However I as a citizen has worker rights that can make sure I get paid properly and work decent hours...the migrant cannot do that and those filthy employers know that.

Yeah, I thought from what you had said that you think that some people are entitled to get a job over others. I apologise if that was not what you meant. If there Eastern Europeans aren't they allowed to work here without a work permit anyway? Also do any employers just hire people on the spot without checking the quality of their work or their credentials? I have never seen any type of jobs that prefer a certain type of person, would that not be illegal anyway?

I completely agree with you, I would too if the situation called for it. I don't think its fair that migrants have to work in these conditions so I think that we need to make working conditions and pay better and more equal.
I think it's always been there. Personally all the Eastern European immigrants I've met have been hard-working, decent folk. You generally have to have something about you to travel across a continent to find work. I'm sure there are undesirable Eastern Europeans, but I suspect they largely stay in Eastern Europe.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to control immigration from Eastern Europe, obviously.
Original post by niv1234
Yeah, I thought from what you had said that you think that some people are entitled to get a job over others. I apologise if that was not what you meant. If there Eastern Europeans aren't they allowed to work here without a work permit anyway? Also do any employers just hire people on the spot without checking the quality of their work or their credentials? I have never seen any type of jobs that prefer a certain type of person, would that not be illegal anyway?

I completely agree with you, I would too if the situation called for it. I don't think its fair that migrants have to work in these conditions so I think that we need to make working conditions and pay better and more equal.

Well in the EU that was a major issue, that they didn't need this paperwork to come here, to work, etc. However that meant obviously if you don't have to deal with the "burden" (I've heard employers/owners/landlords call the interviewing process a burden) of checking paperwork and all these procedures, then being able to circumvent or get around these formalities that you have to do with the citizen (because if you don't it'll be on record) would be more advantageous for the employer/owner/landlord. Don't you think so? And so why not take in someone who gives no fuss? This is where the myth of "having amazing work ethic" comes in.

People say it to sound democratic but don't realise or are completely aware actually that it's a cover up for so much as we both agree corruption. So no I can't agree and the less informed people will have a go at me for being this and that when I honestly just can't perpetuate this ********. And yes equality is great but I still believe in prioritisation. Human rights is one thing, like foreigners I have always said do not deserve to be treated horribly, and called these names. Check my post history, I have argued with @Zargabaath @MrsSheldonCooper and @TheOpinion (I hope that's how his name goes) for "being a cuck" as in confronting xenophobic attitudes towards foreigners.

However while they deserve to be treated like human beings and don't deserve these stigmas of being "rapist scum," I still believe each country not just ours has to prioritise ITS PEOPLE 1ST. Well yea it was nice discussing this with you, niv, you're very rational. :smile:
Reply 71
I'm sure not all Eastern European are like this but the ones I have seen over the years are no angels

# They beg outside supermarkets whilst pretending to be homeless
# They are loud and not civilised they throw rubbish everywhere making what once was a clean area a complete dump, then the council has to step in to clean it
# They use their kids to beg people for money
# They don't send their kids to schools and they are up all night in the streets playing loud music making it hard for the neighbours to sleep
# They work in cash in hand jobs therefore no tax is paid
#They don't bother to learn English
#They steal and pickpocket
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I think it's always been there. Personally all the Eastern European immigrants I've met have been hard-working, decent folk. You generally have to have something about you to travel across a continent to find work. I'm sure there are undesirable Eastern Europeans, but I suspect they largely stay in Eastern Europe.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to control immigration from Eastern Europe, obviously.

Its their culture most of the times...
Yes I agree undesirable, yes I agree we need to control immigration, yes I agree it's obvious, no I don't agree they're generally hard working and decent lol Maybe on the job but that's kind of standard. How are they hard working though when the work they get is jobs "no one wants" like manual labour? It's not that they're hard working, it's that manual labour is hard work that they came here to do or are only able to do this work.
Original post by 0to100
Well in the EU that was a major issue, that they didn't need this paperwork to come here, to work, etc. However that meant obviously if you don't have to deal with the "burden" (I've heard employers/owners/landlords call the interviewing process a burden) of checking paperwork and all these procedures, then being able to circumvent or get around these formalities that you have to do with the citizen (because if you don't it'll be on record) would be more advantageous for the employer/owner/landlord. Don't you think so? And so why not take in someone who gives no fuss? This is where the myth of "having amazing work ethic" comes in.

People say it to sound democratic but don't realise or are completely aware actually that it's a cover up for so much as we both agree corruption. So no I can't agree and the less informed people will have a go at me for being this and that when I honestly just can't perpetuate this ********. And yes equality is great but I still believe in prioritisation. Human rights is one thing, like foreigners I have always said do not deserve to be treated horribly, and called these names. Check my post history, I have argued with @Zargabaath @MrsSheldonCooper and @TheOpinion (I hope that's how his name goes) for "being a cuck" as in confronting xenophobic attitudes towards foreigners.

However while they deserve to be treated like human beings and don't deserve these stigmas of being "rapist scum," I still believe each country not just ours has to prioritise ITS PEOPLE 1ST. Well yea it was nice discussing this with you, niv, you're very rational. :smile:

Yes I completely agree with you on most things except that last bit. I think that in any country whoever can do the job the best should be given it but you are of course entitled to your own opinion. It was nice discussing with you too, you are thankfully able to form a valid argument much better than certain others and you do it in such a pleasant manner too without resorting to meaningless arguing. You are very rational too. Goodnight.
Original post by Esoteric-
lol what the f*** are you talking about? You are talking absolute sh*&*t.

Firstly britain is like 85% white, and secondly most of the hatred towards Eastern Europeans is from British whites angry at them for taking their jobs.

Again, British whites are self loathing. They pile it on the Eastern Euro's because they're white & therefore 'safer' to attack. You are deluded if you think that these Britons dislike Poles more than Pakistanis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by niv1234
Yes I completely agree with you on most things except that last bit. I think that in any country whoever can do the job the best should be given it but you are of course entitled to your own opinion. It was nice discussing with you too, you are thankfully able to form a valid argument much better than certain others and you do it in such a pleasant manner too without resorting to meaningless arguing. You are very rational too. Goodnight.

It is almost 11 isn't it :erm: And yea we agree to disagree there. I don't exactly disagree that skills and ability should be the primary factor in hiring. I definitely don't think hiring someone just because they're from the country is sensible or right lol but yea when it comes to the work most foreigners immediately or commonly go for, the hiring procedures and workers rights should be more equal for them as people and Brits as citizens. :yes:

Well yea nite :biggrin: lol
Original post by KingBradly
I've heard there's been some hostility towards Eastern Europeans recently, especially after Brexit. Just seems odd as the Eastern Europeans I've met have been decent people, and their values are not entirely unlike our own. I've worked with Romanians, travelled to various Eastern European countries, and I live in an area where lots of Romainians and Poles live and I honestly cannot understand the hostility towards them other than the fact they take jobs. I can see why people would be frustrated about that but the Eastern Europeans themselves don't deserve it, they completely understandably are just taking an opportunity to make a better life for themselves. Just seems pretty uncalled for to bully them.

Like all hatreds or loathing, it's a combination of history, misinformation and old fears projected onto current events or people.

In the case of E. Europe, there's a lot of ignorance to start with - people here are generally not very well informed, either about the history of E. Europe, or about E. European people generally. So for example, the epic history of suffering and fighting for freedom of the Poles is not something that most British people would be all that aware of.

Then there is a lot of misinformation - for example, old nastiness towards gypsies, never far from the surface, is used against countries like Romania or Bulgaria that are known to have Roma populations and the people of those countries are confused with Roma or seen as basically the same.

We are also regularly informed by the right wing press that E. European people are squalid, dirty, unkempt, criminal or misbehaved. There is a lurid focus on their poverty and criminality. The fact that most E. European countries have very educated populations is not widely circulated here. Nor do we get good role models depicted in the media of cultured, educated, interesting people coming here from those countries to better themselves and their lives and to be good citizens and contribute positively. We are not given the idea that E. Europeans can be 'attractive', 'friendly' or 'good', although in reality they are often all those things.

This kind of bad information suits the agenda of right wing politicians like Nigel Farage or Tory people because they have an anti-EU stance and want to do anything they can to paint it black.
Original post by ...Charlie...
Again, British whites are self loathing. They pile it on the Eastern Euro's because they're white & therefore 'safer' to attack. You are deluded if you think that these Britons dislike Poles more than Pakistanis.

British whites gave been coddled into thinking they can obtain a middleclass lifestyle from doing jobs that have granted their grandparents a pension.
Original post by 0to100
Does anyone know how benefits work? You can't get many benefits without working or work experience before.

There's JSA and you can only get that if you have in fact WORKED before and for a certain quota of time to be eligible

And there's all sorts of benefits like tax credits but that normally is down to rights as being self employed or having a certain number of kids proportioned with the work you do, and each person gets different amounts according to their personal situation.

Then there's disability rights, like ESA when some people can't work because disabled but used to work, and get support, so let's not have a go at the disabled now :colonhash:

There is literally no one getting for nothing. There is eligibility and even stricter now than before. The cliche of being lazy is moronic and archaic.

Because foreigners aren't entitled to all these benefits and shouldn't be they're not citizens, they instead are accommodated with immediate housing many times. Over British citizens. Fact.

As you know councils have a duty of care to families with children or vulnerable people. Single people with no dependents have no priority - over British citizens or anyone. Council housing departments allocate housing according to a points system.

The problem is the failure of successive Governments to build social housing, or houses to buy with either rents or mortgages that people can afford ie that are linked to earnings not what unscrupulous landlords can demand . ( See Labour's campaign at the mayoral elections.)

This housing problem has been worsened because of Mrs Thatcher's policy of selling off council housing at reduced prices and then forbidding councils to use the money to build more houses.

We need to think this through. Do we need immigrants to bolster our economy because our population is too old to support the things we need? Yes. We need young immigrants. Young immigrants work hard, young immigrants also have children and need housing. This is precisely why we need them - because they are young and because they will have children.

That being so, we should help them into housing like anyone else here.We want them to come, we want them to stay and work. Bringing up children for all our futures is a job, a vital job too. ( A reason why, incidentally, that our criticism and punitive treatment of young single parents is so ill placed on so many levels- they are doing vital work for society by bringing up children).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pickup
As you know councils have a duty of care to families with children or vulnerable people. Single people with no dependents have no priority - over British citizens or anyone. Council housing departments allocate housing according to a points system.

The problem is the failure of successive Governments to build social housing, or houses to buy with either rents or mortgages that people can afford ie that are linked to earnings not what unscrupulous landlords can demand . ( See Labour's campaign at the mayoral elections.)

This housing problem has been worsened because of Mrs Thatcher's policy of selling off council housing at reduced prices and then forbidding councils to use the money to build more houses.

We need to think this through. Do we need immigrants to bolster our economy because our population is too old to support the things we need? Yes. We need young immigrants. Young immigrants work hard, young immigrants also have children and need housing. This is precisely why we need them - because they are young and because they will have children.

That being so, we should help them into housing like anyone else here.We want them to come, we want them to stay and work. Bringing up children for all our futures is a job, a vital job too. ( A reason why, incidentally, that our criticism and punitive treatment of young single parents is so ill placed on so many levels- they are doing vital work for society by bringing up children).

Great. Never denied any of this about needing young people and children to continue the population? Not sure what this has to do with what I said about many people giving undocumented foreigners jobs and homes before a citizen because it's easier and cheaper to do so...I mean whilst needing young people is rather irrelevant of you to point out it can be true but then you're stating it like it's therefore the only truth. What I said is not anywhere near make believe either. However your 1st statement is completely false, no idea what hat you pulled that out of.

Single people with no dependents are often held at some kind of priority, never no priority. Maybe not as high as someone with dependents, of course. But this wild sweeping statement that they're of no priority is aggressively false. They get benefits all the time, depending on what they apply for obviously. If you're applying for child tax credits and single, you're obviously not in the same situation as a single person applying for EPA for themselves >_> And in that situation it's not even about priority, it's just their right to apply and get it as long as they're eligible. The migrant thing was totally irrelevant, mentioning that they don't have a right to claim benefits because they're not documented was just me trying to connect it back to the topic at hand after drogon kept trying to get attention saying people on benefits are lazy. I pointed out all the different types and eligibility of benefits and most requiring work experience to debunk his stupid biased claims. So I've little idea why you're capitalising off of that to mention the necessity of young people. It's got **** all to do with the main point which is that there's often corruption behind wanting foreigners in. You give me this fairytale about needing them because they're "young and hardworking." Weird. Not all foreigners are young or hardworking. A lot of times they make the women stay home. So there are loads of female foreigners who aren't hard working at all...because they're not working at all. And I'm on about migrants not immigrants so how does someone who plans to leave in a few months maybe having a kid benefiting us...? >_>

Latest

Trending

Trending