The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by myblueheaven339
Hooray my new bike arrived! Have only had a little ride this evening as the weather has been horrible this weekend but it was so much fun :smile: need to get shoes sorted so I can switch to decent pedals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get?
Original post by dhr90
What did you get?

Liv avail 1 disc. I'll admit I know next to nothing about bikes but bought the best one I could afford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm curious to know what bike lights you guys are using. I want to get a new set, but not sure if I want a set that need batteries or ones that are rechargeable with built in batteries.
Original post by ColossalAtom
I'm curious to know what bike lights you guys are using. I want to get a new set, but not sure if I want a set that need batteries or ones that are rechargeable with built in batteries.

I have a lezyne macro xl on the front. Couple of years old, think it's more expensive and different design now. Micro might be good enough iirc. Some cheap lezyne on the back that uses watch batteries. They do the job for me.
How many days does it take you feel a difference if you took a certain amount of time off cycling? Feels like when i take the weekends off, i'm never as strong as I was on Friday etc?
Reply 205
London to Brighton off road bike ride in support of the British Heart Foundation. 24th September 2016. Quite tempted by this, although I know I'm not even close to being able to do that distance, would be a hell of a day though.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/bike-rides/london-to-brighton-off-road-bike-ride/?utm_medium=display&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=display~london+to+brighton+off+road~1606025&utm_content=facebook+image+ad
Anyone see the new Dura Ace release?

The new ST-R9120 and ST-R9170 in particular interest me. Hydraulic brake ST levers. Still watching a video on it but this seems like it could really move things along. As I've mentioned before I'm looking for a road bike with hydraulic disc brakes. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there in the way of hydraulic brakes, I just had a look and there seem to be a couple of [shimano] levers but nothing much really. I guess I don't know as much about road bike components as I should. However, it seems that if more ST levers become available then it would follow that there would be more hydraulic brake caliper models available on the market. On which note, makes me think that perhaps I should consider getting mechanical disc brakes first and then in a couple of years when disc brakes have moved along a bit I could move to hydraulic without huge amounts of hassle with the frame and forks. I don't think what I'm looking for in terms of hydraulic brakes is really going to be available by the time I'm looking to buy the bike.
Original post by alexs2602
Anyone see the new Dura Ace release?

The new ST-R9120 and ST-R9170 in particular interest me. Hydraulic brake ST levers. Still watching a video on it but this seems like it could really move things along. As I've mentioned before I'm looking for a road bike with hydraulic disc brakes. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there in the way of hydraulic brakes, I just had a look and there seem to be a couple of [shimano] levers but nothing much really. I guess I don't know as much about road bike components as I should. However, it seems that if more ST levers become available then it would follow that there would be more hydraulic brake caliper models available on the market. On which note, makes me think that perhaps I should consider getting mechanical disc brakes first and then in a couple of years when disc brakes have moved along a bit I could move to hydraulic without huge amounts of hassle with the frame and forks. I don't think what I'm looking for in terms of hydraulic brakes is really going to be available by the time I'm looking to buy the bike.

Of course there's only a couple of Shimano levers. What were you expecting - 10+ options all from Shimano?

Nothing that you ride will push the current hydraulic technology beyond what they're capable of so there's no point spending several years waiting for something better because it's all already pretty damn good. The RS-685s are the best brake levers I've ever used. Mechanical braking is average, hydraulic braking is superb.

What are you looking for in a hydraulic brake? What type of road riding will you be doing that goes beyond what the technology is capable of doing now?
Original post by Roobsa
Of course there's only a couple of Shimano levers. What were you expecting - 10+ options all from Shimano?

Nothing that you ride will push the current hydraulic technology beyond what they're capable of so there's no point spending several years waiting for something better because it's all already pretty damn good. The RS-685s are the best brake levers I've ever used. Mechanical braking is average, hydraulic braking is superb.

What are you looking for in a hydraulic brake? What type of road riding will you be doing that goes beyond what the technology is capable of doing now?

Bit harsh, weren't you? Ofc not 10+. And I did say I needed to get to know road bike components better. But lets say ultegra, dura ace and the di2 models. When they were established I would expect 5 or 6 models. At least 105 and better, maybe tiagra.

I've got hydraulic brakes on my mtb, I do like them but I'm trying to be cost effective and practical. I'm going to need to take a closer look at specs but without some serious wedge I wouldn't have thought I could expect that much(I'm seeing £1400 for those brake levers on a bike currently).

I don't know what the current tech is capable of, that's the point. I don't think I can be blamed for that since you really need to ride a bike for a while to work out the capabilities and your needs. And this would be my first road bike. It's still very new to road bikes, the fact it's only getting a dura ace model now proves that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is there such thing as too much cycling? Or it doesn't matter as long you get proper rest and eat a lot?
Original post by alexs2602
Bit harsh, weren't you? Ofc not 10+. And I did say I needed to get to know road bike components better. But lets say ultegra, dura ace and the di2 models. When they were established I would expect 5 or 6 models. At least 105 and better, maybe tiagra.

I've got hydraulic brakes on my mtb, I do like them but I'm trying to be cost effective and practical. I'm going to need to take a closer look at specs but without some serious wedge I wouldn't have thought I could expect that much(I'm seeing £1400 for those brake levers on a bike currently).

I don't know what the current tech is capable of, that's the point. I don't think I can be blamed for that since you really need to ride a bike for a while to work out the capabilities and your needs. And this would be my first road bike. It's still very new to road bikes, the fact it's only getting a dura ace model now proves that.

Even doing the slightest bit of Googling shows there is not just Dura Ace levels of hydraulics.

Original post by Roobsa
Even doing the slightest bit of Googling shows there is not just Dura Ace levels of hydraulics.

Someone wake up on the wrong side of bed today? Thanks though. RS505 seems like what I'm looking for.
(edited 7 years ago)
DAY OFF TODAY!!!!

Much riding done, skirting up around the edge of the Peaks, then popping into the shop on the way home to look at nice shiny bikes.... While I was there had a bike fit on what will be my new TT bike and checked that my power output was ok then a quick double check of my road bike fit before my new race bike gets built. Exciting stuff!!!
Learning how to clip into pedals for the first time this morning. Fell over twice and got the hysterical giggles! Will practice on the turbo trainer I think! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Learning how to clip into pedals for the first time this morning. Fell over twice and got the hysterical giggles! Will practice on the turbo trainer I think! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, just sit on the turbo and do it until it becomes automatic and it'll be a lot easier when you're out. Soon you'll forget how hard it was (and then you'll forget to unclip and fall over at a stoplight, it's a right of passage :smile:) *

--

Anyone watching TDF?
Hey all.
I see a new thread has been started; guess the last one got more popular!

Hoping everyone is riding safe, BUT giving their all.

I may have updated a few last year on my personal circumstances regarding a pretty grim accident.
Upshot is, it's just over a year ago today I had the accident and I am still due one further operation to my arm because of the way a pole went right through it and my abdomen as well (August and October are the dates for surgery).

I'm within touching distance of making a comeback. I simply cannot wait.
I've purchased a whole new groupset after my last one was snapped in a few places (shifters; deraileur and scratches to chainset), handlebar (and tape), but my frame survived, although I wouldn't mind an excuse to buy a new one!

It's in the (LBS) shop at the moment, and we're nearly there but for a couple of issues with the new front derailuer not fitting onto the braze on mount in the right direction (and Campag are not good for responding to emails).

I'm so, so bloody happy I'm in this situation. Cycling again.

Give that some thoughts people.
Original post by Serentonin
Anyone watching TDF?

I am! Though ITV is rubbing me the wrong way with the constant adverts...

Hopefully Contador is ok :s-smilie:
Also is anyone else riding in the Prudential this July?
Ngl, bought another bike this week. *

Spoiler

Second hand but pretty much mint, need to change the wheels though. *
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serentonin

And cut that giraffe neck of a steerer tube!

How's your riding been going?

Quick Reply

Latest