The Student Room Group

Your back up plan?

Whilst waiting for that dreaded date in August, I guess its time to start thinking what plan B is, if everything doesn't quite turn out as envisaged.

I hope I'm not alone in thinking that after those exams I'll likely be spending the rest of my life flipping burgers in some seedy motorway cafe (thanks OCR religious studies and Edexcel geography), rather than going to uni!

Just wondering if anybody has started thinking what their options are if things don't go to plan, and what that entails. I'm sure they'll be some self-assured know-it-alls rolling their eyes at the thought of not getting in, but I'm definitely not that confident, and hoping there are others feeling the same out there too!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I need AAA/A*AB for my firm and my incruance . If I don't get it then I don't know what I'm going to do - I have no uni in mind that I'd happyily go to through clearing so I think I will just retake some exams to get the grades . I'm absolute terrified
Live in a cave with my many cats. I am dreading results day I guess if I fail my other plan b would be to redo the year
Reply 3
Original post by 1998RF
Live in a cave with my many cats. I am dreading results day I guess if I fail my other plan b would be to redo the year

Yeh I'm just gotta do the year again as well I think ; I like to know where I stand and the thought of jumping into some random course just doesn't appeal at all; I know some people who are doing year 14 so it could be worse I guess ...
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh I'm just gotta do the year again as well I think ; I like to know where I stand and the thought of jumping into some random course just doesn't appeal at all; I know some people who are doing year 14 so it could be worse I guess ...

I know 😄
You have it all planned out and starting again just seems unnatural on some new course
Original post by Han-
Whilst waiting for that dreaded date in August, I guess its time to start thinking what plan B is, if everything doesn't quite turn out as envisaged.

I hope I'm not alone in thinking that after those exams I'll likely be spending the rest of my life flipping burgers in some seedy motorway cafe (thanks OCR religious studies and Edexcel geography), rather than going to uni!

Just wondering if anybody has started thinking what their options are if things don't go to plan, and what that entails. I'm sure they'll be some self-assured know-it-alls rolling their eyes at the thought of not getting in, but I'm definitely not that confident, and hoping there are others feeling the same out there too!!

I'm sure you won't spend your life flipping burgers. But if it does come to that, maybe it would actually make you happy.

Personally, I already know that my results will not be what I need for my firm or insurance do I've decided to take a gap year, get a job and reapply next year. If needs be, I will retake some exams though I hope it won't come to quite that.
Reply 6
Original post by 1998RF
I know 😄
You have it all planned out and starting again just seems unnatural on some new course

I've told my parents that I've just going to stay on at my school and they don't seem to bothered. I have thought about going to another uni other than my chosen 2 but I am a really anxious person and I need to be somewhere where I feel comfortable and so moving out and living somewhere where I haven't had my heart set on it makes it really hard. I'm just going to retake exams and apply to the same universities cause they told me that they do accept retake students so hopefully they'd give me another offer and I'd get in ... But knowing me I'd probably fail to meet the offer again. I just pray that somehow the uni will accept me with AAB instead of AAA and I can finally start living my life and have fun ; I think a year of retaking would make me pretty depressed - I can't handle this stress at the moment ; it's just awful
My AS grades wont bang, so i guess I shall bangout in A2 and then apply with my A2 grades?
Original post by fefssdf
I've told my parents that I've just going to stay on at my school and they don't seem to bothered. I have thought about going to another uni other than my chosen 2 but I am a really anxious person and I need to be somewhere where I feel comfortable and so moving out and living somewhere where I haven't had my heart set on it makes it really hard. I'm just going to retake exams and apply to the same universities cause they told me that they do accept retake students so hopefully they'd give me another offer and I'd get in ... But knowing me I'd probably fail to meet the offer again. I just pray that somehow the uni will accept me with AAB instead of AAA and I can finally start living my life and have fun ; I think a year of retaking would make me pretty depressed - I can't handle this stress at the moment ; it's just awful

I know exactly how you feel I too get really stressed especially when no one listens to my plan b all saying "you won't need it" when it's really important to plan these things! I should imagine that your uni will accept you with AAB instead my teacher said that most of universities (including Russell accept with a couple of grades lower than your predicted) so you should be fine. Try not to worry there is nothing that you can do now and know that your uni will most likely accept you. I understand that it is important to live somewhere that you feel you will be at home and I'm sure you will be fine 😊
Reply 9
Original post by 1998RF
I know exactly how you feel I too get really stressed especially when no one listens to my plan b all saying "you won't need it" when it's really important to plan these things! I should imagine that your uni will accept you with AAB instead my teacher said that most of universities (including Russell accept with a couple of grades lower than your predicted) so you should be fine. Try not to worry there is nothing that you can do now and know that your uni will most likely accept you. I understand that it is important to live somewhere that you feel you will be at home and I'm sure you will be fine 😊

The unis i have chosen are particularly decent though - Notts and Manchester - so i struggle to see them letting me in but hopefully they like my personal statement enough to give me a chance. I'm not sure what I'd do for a year, like I have a job but it's only a Saturday thing and even if I did some overtime I dunno what I'd do for the rest of the time , if all my mates are at uni . This scares me more than anything - the thought of just sitting around with no plan and just getting confused. I'm just convinced I'm not gonna get in cause I keep imagining myself at the unis - j didn't think alevels would affect me but it's like 50 days to go now and I can want to have my results now so I can prepare for the next stage in my life
My back up plan is to take a gap year and figure out something else to do. I didn't want a biomed insurance and I won't go through clearing, I will just resit and apply for something else since only 2 unis in england (sheffield and plymouth) accept resits for dentistry and I don't want to have to go through all of that again when I can only apply to 2 unis. I just have no idea what other course I'd want to do
Overall my exams weren't bad, it's just that one AQA C3 paper which is supposed to be the easier one and was ridiculously hard this year (over 8000 people signed the petition in like 2 days) and I don't feel I got to show my true ability and it may have cost me the A
To be honest, I do wish I took a gap year this year anyway, so it doesn't sound too bad, just sucks that I won't be doing dentistry if I don't get in this year, after getting an offer from my dream uni for dentistry and I literally have no idea what else I can do
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
My AS grades wont bang, so i guess I shall bangout in A2 and then apply with my A2 grades?

Try and persuade your teachers to give you good predicted grades but from experience this is pretty difficult - I had an argument with my English teacher and she still refused to predict me the grade I wanted - so yeh you probably are better off applying after A2 but also you could just apply and then try and get into somewhere better through adjustment / clearing cause tonnes of Russel groups have places going on results day :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Try and persuade your teachers to give you good predicted grades but from experience this is pretty difficult - I had an argument with my English teacher and she still refused to predict me the grade I wanted - so yeh you probably are better off applying after A2 but also you could just apply and then try and get into somewhere better through adjustment / clearing cause tonnes of Russel groups have places going on results day :smile:

Whatever happens isnt the be all and end all!
Original post by fefssdf
The unis i have chosen are particularly decent though - Notts and Manchester - so i struggle to see them letting me in but hopefully they like my personal statement enough to give me a chance. I'm not sure what I'd do for a year, like I have a job but it's only a Saturday thing and even if I did some overtime I dunno what I'd do for the rest of the time , if all my mates are at uni . This scares me more than anything - the thought of just sitting around with no plan and just getting confused. I'm just convinced I'm not gonna get in cause I keep imagining myself at the unis - j didn't think alevels would affect me but it's like 50 days to go now and I can want to have my results now so I can prepare for the next stage in my life

Nottingham is also my first choice! I think that if you are the kind of student they want (and they've given you an offer so it looks like you are!) then they will accept you with a B which isn't that much different from an A. Even if you don't get in sitting there without a plan is not on the cards as I'm assuming that you'd redo to get in next year so you'll still have a full time plan and education. No matter what happens this year it's not the end of the world (and believe me it's taken a lot of people to persuade me this) the waiting is always the worst part. If you got an offer you clearly have goods GCSEs and as levels so they will see if you don't get your predicted grades that it was a mishap and hopefully let you in or at least give you an offer if you reapply. I know exactly how you feel though all the worries you said have really been getting to me too! I wish you the best of luck for when results day finally arrives 😊
Original post by 1998RF
Nottingham is also my first choice! I think that if you are the kind of student they want (and they've given you an offer so it looks like you are!) then they will accept you with a B which isn't that much different from an A. Even if you don't get in sitting there without a plan is not on the cards as I'm assuming that you'd redo to get in next year so you'll still have a full time plan and education. No matter what happens this year it's not the end of the world (and believe me it's taken a lot of people to persuade me this) the waiting is always the worst part. If you got an offer you clearly have goods GCSEs and as levels so they will see if you don't get your predicted grades that it was a mishap and hopefully let you in or at least give you an offer if you reapply. I know exactly how you feel though all the worries you said have really been getting to me too! I wish you the best of luck for when results day finally arrives 😊

Aww really I'm glad I'm not the not the only one with Notts as my firm who is feeling like this - I'm gonna be in sherwood halls if I get in lol - what about you ? X

Hope we both get in - and best of luck to you too :biggrin:
Original post by fefssdf
Aww really I'm glad I'm not the not the only one with Notts as my firm who is feeling like this - I'm gonna be in sherwood halls if I get in lol - what about you ? X

Hope we both get in - and best of luck to you too :biggrin:

I am in cavendish I think! Thank you 😊
Reply 16
Original post by 1998RF
I know 😄

I'm pretty sure if you wanna retake yr13 you don't have to do the new course?? Am I mistaken??
Original post by goam
I'm pretty sure if you wanna retake yr13 you don't have to do the new course?? Am I mistaken??

I don't think so. I've asked my teachers and whereas none of them were 100% sure they it was just a matter of redoing exams and that they would be willing to help me to do so 😀
Original post by Han-

I'm going to phone up Bangor and try and get on one of their courses 😊 I'm 90% sure I won't get my firm :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by 1998RF
I don't think so. I've asked my teachers and whereas none of them were 100% sure they it was just a matter of redoing exams and that they would be willing to help me to do so 😀

ahh good I was about to panic; my exams went so bad that I'm too scared to throw away any notes/books :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest