The Student Room Group

Would A*AB a level grades get me into medicine

So I have just finished year 13 and I have completed my A levels. If i were to get A* in biology, A in chemistry and B in maths would these grades get me into any medicine courses. I applied last year with me poor AS grades but received all rejections and a biomed course. On the ucas course website it says AAA needed but would they accept A*AB? Thanks very much.
Reply 1
No chance noobie
If I may ask, what were your AS grades ?
Look at all the requirements. If it says AAA or equivalent(have a feeling it's talking about UCAS points) then A*AB will be accepted, that's as far as I know.

I'd look abroad personally, Oceania or North America is good if you want to remain in a English speaking country but countries such as Germany or the Netherlands in Europe is very good as well. I'd avoid Spain, Italy or Portugal if you don't speak their native languages, but otherwise English is very well spoken all over Europe
(edited 7 years ago)
Most universities don't except it I'm afraid. But some may, you have to call up or email the university admissions office to find out, but don't be surprised if none accept it.
Alternative options would be to go abroad and study medicine or to apply for medicine as a graduate.
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Look at all the requirements. If it says AAA or equivalent(have a feeling it's talking about UCAS points) then A*AB will be accepted, that's as far as I know.

I'd look abroad personally, Oceania or North America is good if you want to remain in a English speaking country but Europe is very good as well

Be aware of north america, you can only do medicine over there as a graduate, plus when you transfer into the UK you have to sit a PLAB exam which can take some people years to pass!
My offer from Keele was A*AB / AAA :smile:
Original post by alexthompson1998
Be aware of north america, you can only do medicine over there as a graduate, plus when you transfer into the UK you have to sit a PLAB exam which can take some people years to pass!

Ah didn't know that, Oceania or Europe sounds like the best option in that case
Original post by GeekyAlec
My offer from Keele was A*AB / AAA :smile:

The requirements have changed now though for 2017 entry - now you need A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Ah didn't know that, Oceania or Europe sounds like the best option in that case

I haven't really researched oceania, but Europe is the best option since your degree is recognised by the GMC. Best places may be bulgaria, romania, italy (which needs the IMAT test). Also ireland which don't conduct any interviews however they require a very tough 3A* to gain entry there lol
Original post by nomophobia
The requirements have changed now though for 2017 entry - now you need A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or AAA + and A grade at AS level or EPQ for those with achieved a levels. Keele is all about a "roles and responsibility form" to get an interview.
Original post by alexthompson1998
I haven't really researched oceania, but Europe is the best option since your degree is recognised by the GMC. Best places may be bulgaria, romania, italy (which needs the IMAT test). Also ireland which don't conduct any interviews however they require a very tough 3A* to gain entry there lol

I've been looking into Otago for Commerce(basically a general business degree with a choice of which major you want to do) and New Zealand have very low grade requirements. The best one only needs CCC to get in to the uni(courses have own requirements). Australia have low grade requirements as well. But as you said, Europe is a very good place to stay in, but is vastly dependent on the EU exit talks
Original post by whitgift01
So I have just finished year 13 and I have completed my A levels. If i were to get A* in biology, A in chemistry and B in maths would these grades get me into any medicine courses. I applied last year with me poor AS grades but received all rejections and a biomed course. On the ucas course website it says AAA needed but would they accept A*AB? Thanks very much.

Sadly you need AAA, if you are holding an offer at a medical school then A*AB may be accepted on results day, but you are unlikely to gain an interview with those grades as it just doesnt meet the minimum requirements for all medical schools.
Original post by ln2u
No chance noobie

The boy got A*AA not much of a noobie after all u prick.
Original post by whitgift01

Nope but you would definitely be accepted with A*AA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending