The Student Room Group

A-level options... HELP!!

I'm intrested in studying economics at degree level, maybe even PPE or history and international relations as they all intrigue me. Furthermore, I have the aspiration to study at a top university such as UCL, Warwich maybe even Oxford or Cambridge... What A-levels would give me the best chance of getting into such prestigious institutions? I'm definitely doing history and maths and was considering: economics, geography, Furthermaths, sociology, English and maybe a science? (Bearing in mind, I only did additional science at GCSE but found it to be not much of a challenge. Also, is it really worth doing 4 A-levels?If I did do 3, I would also do my gold Duke of Edinburgh and develop my French in order to pick it up again at Uni as my school no longer offer MFL at A-level :frown:Sorry to have rambled on, but I would be extremely grateful for any advice!

Scroll to see replies

This is good advice: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

I would suggest further maths and a science or economics. If you are Oxbridge quality, you should be able to handle 4 A levels.
Hi.

For A-levels, especially for Oxbridge, pick the so-called 'traditional' subjects. All of the things you are currently considering are traditional, so you've got no problem with that. Otherwise, you need to find a balance. So, pick whatever you are strong at, but also subject that could relate to your potential subject/field (although this is not necessary, as it is not lways possible). Maths and Further Maths are really good for any discipline, especially for Oxbridge and so are the sciences. Even if you are not applying for maths/science related degree, e.g. Law, PPE, Oxford and Cambridge really value Maths and Sciences, as it adds diversity to your curriculum and enables you to think logically. Also, they are quite hard subjects generally, and top universities like their potential students picking hard subjects.

However, I still think that the best thing you can do is pick whatever you are strong at. Nowadays, especially for Oxbridge it is more about your passion for subject (think about why do you want to do the subject you want to do) and performance at interviews. I am not saying that academics are not important, they REALLY ARE, but there are thousands of applications to Oxbridge each year with excellent grades across the board, therefore, a lot comes down to student's passion for subject and interview performance. As long as you can demonstrate your passion in your Personal Statement and in the interview (if you get one), you will be fine.

Moreover, A-levels are important, but to demonstrate you real passion, you should really do a lot outside the classroom - reading around your chosen subject, reading magazines... If you want to do economics, PPE, I would recommend subscribing to The Economist magazine - reading it would be the best possible preparation and will give you a headstart + you will not have to worry about wider reading when it comes to the application, so it would be less nervous for you, as, of course, you also need to concentrate on your A-levels. So if you seriously considering top universities, WIDER READING SHOULD START NOW.

In summary, as I said, it is not all about A-levels. Pick whatever you are strong at, but keep you options open, have a range of subjects (for example I do Maths and Physics, but also History, Spanish and Russian). Keep it diverse, do not try to restrict yourself, anything could be relevant. I would recommend doing 4 A-levels and drop to three in your last year if you need it. However, wider reading, all the books you've read in preparation for your chosen subject is as important as it would really show your interest OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM for your subject and, ultimately would give you the better chance to succeed in the interview and have an application that would stand out.

P.S. The bits of advice above are more for Oxbridge than for anything else, but if you are seriously considering it, start preparing now, that would be my main advice.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.
Reply 3
Original post by chazwomaq
This is good advice: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

I would suggest further maths and a science or economics. If you are Oxbridge quality, you should be able to handle 4 A levels.

Thank you for your advice! With the A-levels though, would it not be better to achieve top grades in 3 subjects and show lots of additional intrestes and hobbies? Such as the DofE? And lots of extra background reading on topics such as politics and economics etc? Even learning independent language learning? Would these things help me stand out or is 4 A-levels practically the only way in? (For Oxbridge)
Reply 4
Original post by Nikita_2313
Hi.

For A-levels, especially for Oxbridge, pick the so-called 'traditional' subjects. All of the things you are currently considering are traditional, so you've got no problem with that. Otherwise, you need to find a balance. So, pick whatever you are strong at, but also subject that could relate to your potential subject/field (although this is not necessary, as it is not lways possible). Maths and Further Maths are really good for any discipline, especially for Oxbridge and so are the sciences. Even if you are not applying for maths/science related degree, e.g. Law, PPE, Oxford and Cambridge really value Maths and Sciences, as it adds diversity to your curriculum and enables you to think logically. Also, they are quite hard subjects generally, and top universities like their potential students picking hard subjects.

However, I still think that the best thing you can do is pick whatever you are strong at. Nowadays, especially for Oxbridge it is more about your passion for subject (think about why do you want to do the subject you want to do) and performance at interviews. I am not saying that academics are not important, they REALLY ARE, but there are thousands of applications to Oxbridge each year with excellent grades across the board, therefore, a lot comes down to student's passion for subject and interview performance. As long as you can demonstrate your passion in your Personal Statement and in the interview (if you get one), you will be fine.

Moreover, A-levels are important, but to demonstrate you real passion, you should really do a lot outside the classroom - reading around your chosen subject, reading magazines... If you want to do economics, PPE, I would recommend subscribing to The Economist magazine - reading it would be the best possible preparation and will give you a headstart + you will not have to worry about wider reading when it comes to the application, so it would be less nervous for you, as, of course, you also need to concentrate on your A-levels. So if you seriously considering top universities, WIDER READING SHOULD START NOW.

In summary, as I said, it is not all about A-levels. Pick whatever you are strong at, but keep you options open, have a range of subjects (for example I do Maths and Physics, but also History, Spanish and Russian). Keep it diverse, do not try to restrict yourself, anything could be relevant. I would recommend doing 4 A-levels and drop to three in your last year if you need it. However, wider reading, all the books you've read in preparation for your chosen subject is as important as it would really show your interest OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM for your subject and, ultimately would give you the better chance to succeed in the interview and have an application that would stand out.

P.S. The bits of advice above are more for Oxbridge than for anything else, but if you are seriously considering it, start preparing now, that would be my main advice.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply!

The only thing is that now, most the A-levels are reformed hence the AS and A2 are decoupled for most subjects so year 13 is really exam heavy. Maths is still done with the AS in year 12 and A2 in year 13; some subjects such as History, geography and economics are all reformed so I have 3/4 big exams for both at the end of year 13 however, I will still do AS levels in these subjects but they don't count towards my overall A-level. However, sciences don't do AS so if I drop it in the first year, I won't have anything to show for it...

Additionally, my school won't allow us to do Furthermaths and physics... Seems ludicrous, but that's how the timetables have planned out...

So: Maths, Physics, History, Economics.
Sound good?
Although, since I haven't done triple science, I'm not very confident taking it on to A-levels even though I love physics and spent hours watching and reading up on related topics such as space etc.
I'd feel a lot more confident sticking with my humanities like geography...

Like I said to the other person, would it look better to have 3 A-levels with top grades and show lots of outside reading in politics; philosophy; economics etc? As well as my gold DofE and independent language learning?
Would these help me stand out or is 4 A-levels the only way to go?
Original post by J.Page
Thank you so much for the detailed reply!

The only thing is that now, most the A-levels are reformed hence the AS and A2 are decoupled for most subjects so year 13 is really exam heavy. Maths is still done with the AS in year 12 and A2 in year 13; some subjects such as History, geography and economics are all reformed so I have 3/4 big exams for both at the end of year 13 however, I will still do AS levels in these subjects but they don't count towards my overall A-level. However, sciences don't do AS so if I drop it in the first year, I won't have anything to show for it...

Additionally, my school won't allow us to do Furthermaths and physics... Seems ludicrous, but that's how the timetables have planned out...

So: Maths, Physics, History, Economics.
Sound good?
Although, since I haven't done triple science, I'm not very confident taking it on to A-levels even though I love physics and spent hours watching and reading up on related topics such as space etc.
I'd feel a lot more confident sticking with my humanities like geography...

Like I said to the other person, would it look better to have 3 A-levels with top grades and show lots of outside reading in politics; philosophy; economics etc? As well as my gold DofE and independent language learning?
Would these help me stand out or is 4 A-levels the only way to go?

If you think that 3 A-levels would be better for you, do 3 A-levels. Everyone is different. At the end of the day, quality is better than quantity. If you are sure that you will love your three subjects and you are sure that you would be able to get good grades in them, go ahead. 4 subjects just give you more flexibility, as with doing 3 there is a high possibility of having a subject that you end up hating and as you only do three, so you would not be able to drop any. If you are completely sure, then go ahead. Before yo do, I would suggest looking at the syllabus for each subject carefully, so you could understand what does the subject involve.

I completely understand you being not confident, but I can reassure you, that I know people who did only two sciences, of Double Award, took all three sciences fro A-level and walked out with A's. It all depends on your attitude, dedication and work ethic.

The A-levels you've chosen (Maths, History, Econ, Physics) present good platform for PPE application, so this choice sounds good. I would go with this. As I understand, Maths is modular, so you would still get opportunities to resit if you don't do well. If I were you, I would go with those 4 subjects, but ultimately, it is your decision. Do what you feel is better for YOU!

Good luck!
Reply 6
If you think that 3 A-levels would be better for you, do 3 A-levels. Everyone is different. At the end of the day, quality is better than quantity. If you are sure that you will love your three subjects and you are sure that you would be able to get good grades in them, go ahead. 4 subjects just give you more flexibility, as with doing 3 there is a high possibility of having a subject that you end up hating and as you only do three, so you would not be able to drop any. If you are completely sure, then go ahead. Before yo do, I would suggest looking at the syllabus for each subject carefully, so you could understand what does the subject involve.

I completely understand you being not confident, but I can reassure you, that I know people who did only two sciences, of Double Award, took all three sciences fro A-level and walked out with A's. It all depends on your attitude, dedication and work ethic.

The A-levels you've chosen (Maths, History, Econ, Physics) present good platform for PPE application, so this choice sounds good. I would go with this. As I understand, Maths is modular, so you would still get opportunities to resit if you don't do well. If I were you, I would go with those 4 subjects, but ultimately, it is your decision. Do what you feel is better for YOU!

Good luck!

Thank you so so much! :tongue:

I think, if I get an A* in my additional science then I'll take physics but ultimatley, I suppose I won't know 100% what I want to take till I get my results...

If you don't mind me asking, what are you studying? What are your ambitions etc?

Sorry, just wondering what other people want to do and how they plan to get there
Reply 7
I am going off to do joint honours in Spanish and History in Trinity College, Oxford next year, hopefully, if I meet it. I studied Maths, History, Spanish, Russian at A-level, also having done Physics at AS.

How do you best learn languages? And how big was the jump from GCSE to A-level? I hear that languages especially are massive jumps.
Original post by J.Page
Thank you for your advice! With the A-levels though, would it not be better to achieve top grades in 3 subjects and show lots of additional intrestes and hobbies?...Would these things help me stand out or is 4 A-levels practically the only way in? (For Oxbridge)

Well, offers are based on 3 A levels so the fourth won't "count" as such. But it looks good on the application no doubt. Loads of Oxbridge students will have taken 4 (or more) A levels.

If you are Oxbridge quality, you should be confident of straight A if not A*s. So the fourth is an insurance option - if you miss a grade on one subject you have another chance to make it. I would say it's a safer bet than studying 3 subjects for that reason. Of course it's more work but nothing like you can expect at Oxbridge!

You should also have additional interests, hobbies and further reading. But at the end of day it's the grades that count.
Original post by J.Page
How do you best learn languages? And how big was the jump from GCSE to A-level? I hear that languages especially are massive jumps.

They are a big jump, just like in any subject. But if you are prepared to put the work in, learning new vocabulary, immersing yourself into music, culture, history of that language and country, you can easily adapt. I was feeling quite comfortable within a the first 2-3 weeks of doing the course, adapted easily.
Economics, Computing, Mathematics

Further Maths at AS or a MFL (modern foreign language)

^ Best A levels, also have practical use and are on the high end of the spectrum
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by chazwomaq
Well, offers are based on 3 A levels so the fourth won't "count" as such. But it looks good on the application no doubt. Loads of Oxbridge students will have taken 4 (or more) A levels.

If you are Oxbridge quality, you should be confident of straight A if not A*s. So the fourth is an insurance option - if you miss a grade on one subject you have another chance to make it. I would say it's a safer bet than studying 3 subjects for that reason. Of course it's more work but nothing like you can expect at Oxbridge!

You should also have additional interests, hobbies and further reading. But at the end of day it's the grades that count.

Thank you so Much!
If you don't mind me asking, what's your experience with A-levels or university etc?
What did you take?
Reply 12
They are a big jump, just like in any subject. But if you are prepared to put the work in, learning new vocabulary, immersing yourself into music, culture, history of that language and country, you can easily adapt. I was feeling quite comfortable within a the first 2-3 weeks of doing the course, adapted easily.

With my French for example, I can read and write rather comfortably, I can speak but no where near fluency although I can pronounce the words but the listening I find really hard...
How was your Spanish or Russian at GCSE?
Reply 13
Original post by glebp
Economics, Computing, Mathematics

Further Maths at AS or a MFL (modern foreign language)

^ Best A levels, also have practical use and are on the high end of the spectrum

I can't do computing because I didn't do it at GCSE...
What's your experience with A-levels? What did you take etc?
Original post by J.Page
I can't do computing because I didn't do it at GCSE...
What's your experience with A-levels? What did you take etc?

You do not need to do it at GCSE, over summer look through codeacademy.com and you will be set to achieve an A/A* over the two years for the A level

My A level choices aren't that good because I chose the "easy route":

Economics, Russian, Business & IT

however, did not stop me getting an offer from Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester & CASS
Reply 15
Original post by glebp
You do not need to do it at GCSE, over summer look through codeacademy.com and you will be set to achieve an A/A* over the two years for the A level

My A level choices aren't that good because I chose the "easy route":

Economics, Russian, Business & IT

however, did not stop me getting an offer from Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester & CASS

I wouldn't say Russian is easy 😂 What course did you apply to them?

Also, my school say you need a A in computing at GCSE to do the A-level course so...
Original post by J.Page
I wouldn't say Russian is easy 😂 What course did you apply to them?

Also, my school say you need a A in computing at GCSE to do the A-level course so...

Brush up your programming skills using the link I sent you and then convince them. Should be possible, I do not see why such restrictions are placed, especially when you sound fairly ambitious.

Warwick - Management, everything else Economics/Finance
Reply 17
Original post by glebp
Brush up your programming skills using the link I sent you and then convince them. Should be possible, I do not see why such restrictions are placed, especially when you sound fairly ambitious.

Warwick - Management, everything else Economics/Finance

I'll email my maths teacher (who is also head of computing) see what he says...
Maths, Computing, History, Economics, Physics... Which one do you think I should drop?
Original post by J.Page
I'll email my maths teacher (who is also head of computing) see what he says...
Maths, Computing, History, Economics, Physics... Which one do you think I should drop?

are you planning on doing 5 as levels?
Original post by J.Page
Thank you so Much!
If you don't mind me asking, what's your experience with A-levels or university etc?
What did you take?

I did biology, chemistry, English, and Maths at A level (all As in the days before A*s), then natural sciences at Cambridge (1st).

Quick Reply

Latest