The Student Room Group

Why do women worry about walking alone at night but not men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katty-ish
I can't speak for other women, but I'm a 5'1'' girl who sometimes can't open heavy doors, so there goes my chance of protecting myself :colondollar: I mean, I'd obviously try, but I doubt I could do much.

I love short women, Im nuts over them (or thereabouts).
Original post by katty-ish
I can't speak for other women, but I'm a 5'1'' girl who sometimes can't open heavy doors, so there goes my chance of protecting myself :colondollar: I mean, I'd obviously try, but I doubt I could do much.

What do you do when you get to a heavy door then, do you have to wait at the door for someone else to come along and open it :tongue:. I'm 5ft but can open all doors, but then I can do 11 pull ups and climb a rope without using my feet. I'd be useless if I got attacked though as I feel all weak and lethargic when I'm scared!
I think a lot of women are naturally more scared of that kinda stuff. For example i went on holiday with my cousin a few years ago and the hotel resort where we were saying she was scared to walk back to her apartment by herself at night so i had to frequently accompany her while she went back. Even though there was a zero chance of anything bad happening to her she still wasn't comftorable walking home by herself even though she was 14. I don't really get it tbh i mean i could literally walk down a dark alley at 4 in the morning and not even feel anxious or scared at all.
Reply 43
Original post by z33
Well most rape victims are female... howEVER you're way more likely to be raped by someone you know than by a random stranger in the streets so

Probably parents who raise their daughters up in fear of going outside alone at night.
I mean... worked for me :lol:

Idk what it's like in the UK but in the US men are raped much more if you include prisons.
Original post by balanced
Just curious as to why people have this belief.

The reason people would be worried is because of the number of victims, so, when we look at victims, we see that around 33% of violent crime victims are female.

Women are half as likely to be attacked on the street as men, so why do people think this way?

Cos people got no love for a brother. Dey only wana know when its some female up in hurr but when a brother gets blang blowed on the mean streets nobody stops or blinks gnomesayn?
Original post by welcometoib
because if someone steps to me i have little hesitation in knocking them the **** out. i think ladies in general arent as keen to start throwing hands.

ohh sheeet wassup cuzzz wassup cuzzz
I've no idea why people are even answering this question in the title.

Who says men ain't scared when they're walking home alone at night? lol Can't tell me that, I'm sure loads are worried they'd get nicked. Women are worried for being raped.

Original post by SeanFM
Maybe, in those cases, women suffer from sexual assault which can be worse than getting robbed or injured.

Who agreed with this, even though it's not your fault whoever repped you is clearly not a critical thinker or living in the real world. They're both as traumatising getting mugged and getting raped but as @z33 said you're more likely to get raped by someone you know and not whilst out on road. And this can still include men and women. Also men can be getting sexually assaulted as well. And getting mugged entails more than just whatever image you have in your head; there's often violence associated that can kill you... I'm sure you can sit here typing saying mugging isn't scary but you try getting mugged. So your post is all over the place, Sean.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Cos people got no love for a brother. Dey only wana know when its some female up in hurr but when a brother gets blang blowed on the mean streets nobody stops or blinks gnomesayn?

ohh sheeet wassup cuzzz wassup cuzzz

Dunno but maybe you have a 16 yr old in your home who also used acid who snuck in your account because your recent posts seem like it
Original post by 0to100
Dunno but maybe you have a 16 yr old in your home who also used acid who snuck in your account because your recent posts seem like it

[video="youtube;ZdG5jsuLzrU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdG5jsuLzrU[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by welcometoib
because if someone steps to me i have little hesitation in knocking them the **** out. i think ladies in general arent as keen to start throwing hands.

we can hire you as a body guard
[video="youtube;ZdG5jsuLzrU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdG5jsuLzrU[/video]

Right but...it still seems you're high. I was just gettin worried for ya mate.
Original post by 0to100

All that Brexit stuff was heavy.. need some lighthearted posting for a while lol
All that Brexit stuff was heavy.. need some lighthearted posting for a while lol

Your av is making me spaz. It's so...colourful.
I'm pretty sure it's fear of sexual assault. If it were just fear of not being able to fight off an attacker, then smaller and weaker men wouldn't go out at night either. The problem is that women draw the wrong kind of attention from men just by being women, through no fault of their own. It also depends on where they live... there are some places where women wouldn't be as afraid to walk the streets at night as others. Even though I don't have a problem with homosexuality in principle, knowing that a guy swings that way makes me not want to change clothes in front of him, or risk finding myself in a situation where I'd have to be alone with him. I imagine that women have to deal with feeling that way all the time around straight men, worrying about sending the wrong signals.

But the thing is, I'm a lot less likely to be sexually assaulted at night by a gay miscreant, than a woman is to be sexually assaulted at night by a straight one. And even if I am, I'm not likely to get pregnant. I might feel really violated and need therapy, but that's about it.

Now, I don't know how I'd feel if I were actually strong enough to fight people off. I'm a 5'6" computer nerd with a sedentary lifestyle... I'm not exactly going to be a better fighter than a lot of women. A mugger will probably just take my money. I can always limit the amount of cash I carry and report any credit cards stolen before they're used. But despite not being very strong, just knowing that I'm not the sort of target most perverts are looking for helps me feel considerably safer at night than the average woman probably would.
Original post by Madeline_H95
Are you being serious? Answer this. When was the last time you heard about a man being gang raped on a street corner?

Are you being serious?

When was to last time your heard of a man becoming a victim of a violent crime?

Men are far more likely to be attacked by a stranger than a woman is to be raped by a stranger.
Original post by Dinklebot
Are you being serious?

When was to last time your heard of a man becoming a victim of a violent crime?

Men are far more likely to be attacked by a stranger than a woman is to be raped by a stranger.

I understand your logic but it's time to prove this with research
Original post by jeremy1988
I'm pretty sure it's fear of sexual assault. If it were just fear of not being able to fight off an attacker, then smaller and weaker men wouldn't go out at night either. The problem is that women draw the wrong kind of attention from men just by being women, through no fault of their own. It also depends on where they live... there are some places where women wouldn't be as afraid to walk the streets at night as others. Even though I don't have a problem with homosexuality in principle, knowing that a guy swings that way makes me not want to change clothes in front of him, or risk finding myself in a situation where I'd have to be alone with him. I imagine that women have to deal with feeling that way all the time around straight men, worrying about sending the wrong signals.

But the thing is, I'm a lot less likely to be sexually assaulted at night by a gay miscreant, than a woman is to be sexually assaulted at night by a straight one. And even if I am, I'm not likely to get pregnant. I might feel really violated and need therapy, but that's about it.

Now, I don't know how I'd feel if I were actually strong enough to fight people off. I'm a 5'6" computer nerd with a sedentary lifestyle... I'm not exactly going to be a better fighter than a lot of women. A mugger will probably just take my money. I can always limit the amount of cash I carry and report any credit cards stolen before they're used. But despite not being very strong, just knowing that I'm not the sort of target most perverts are looking for helps me feel considerably safer at night than the average woman probably would.

Omg this is so close minded :facepalm: Why are you only concerned about perverts? What about violent criminals?

The posts on this thread shows just how sheltered and presumptuous people on here are and then they have nerve to be dogmatic about it. I'm just about sick of it.
Original post by 0to100

look at post 55. Why the **** do you have to click "see more" for the video widget :rofl:
Original post by 0to100
Omg this is so close minded :facepalm: Why are you only concerned about perverts? What about violent criminals?

Well, most criminals only get violent if you don't give in to their demands, insult them, or do something that makes them feel threatened. There could be a crazy one that will try to harm you no matter what, but it's far more likely that if you cooperate with someone, they'll leave you alive. Even if they rough you up a little bit.
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, most criminals only get violent if you don't give in to their demands, insult them, or do something that makes them feel threatened. There could be a crazy one that will try to harm you no matter what, but it's far more likely that if you cooperate with someone, they'll leave you alive. Even if they rough you up a little bit.

Like I said and you conveniently cropped it out: sheltered. How do you know? Just how? lmao how do you know what muggers do?! How many people do you know have been hospitalised almost killed for getting poked in the back with a blade and their lungs almost collapsing, mind their own business beforehand? You don't know any do you. Lucky you yea but you don't know wtf you're on about. People are violently attacked for minding their business and a madman walked by and preemptively whacked em and walked off. I was! Walking home by myself and SWEAR to you I got tapped on the shoulder, asked a question and looked away and next I know I can't see. Check into ER they tell me I've got a hyphema and could go ****ing blind. I didn't react violently because I wasn't approached violently. But it ended violently. Because they made up their mind they wanted to attack someone. Apparently the lad didn't liek me and thought I nicked his bird. We had never spoken before though. And I know this has happened to other people, just randomly attacked. And you say "leave you alive" lol maybe that's an American term or something or just you personally talking rubbish but where I'm from people get left for dead, not left alive! :rolleyes: ANYWAY EVERYONE is vulnerable to being attacked whether mugged or rapped or violently by a madman. Man, woman, child, elderly, small, big, tough, coward, poor, rich. And it's all horrible. So don't sit there typing it's only horrible for a certain group and a certain type of attack?! Live a little, learn a little. Eugh.

Quick Reply

Latest