The Student Room Group

Should I have failed?!?

So yesterday I took my second driving test. I drove so well (usually I am very self critical) parked up at the end was so sure I passed.."unfortunately you have failed"
The reason for my "serious" fault was I drove round a corner in second which then went straight up a steep hill, gear number two wasn't quite cutting it and was slowing so I dropped to one... That's why I failed... Because the car behind was slowed when in my eyes their on the same hill and I didn't invent physics! Was this harsh or am I just bitter?!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

We weren't there, your examiner was.

Ok so it looks like my point might not have been taken the way it was meant. Without being there in the car, experiencing the conditions and the traffic at the time, experiencing the speeds, engine revs, braking distances and hazard perception it's impossible for us to come to any objective opinion on OP's driving and the examiner's harshness. My comment simply stated that fact, while noting that the examiner was best placed to assess OP's driving, as one would expect. I never commented negatively but people started being abusive, when they had no need to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
We weren't there, your examiner was.

Sorry I gave an explanation so you could decide for yourself maybe you missed the point
Original post by Cherrrose
Sorry I gave an explanation so you could decide for yourself maybe you missed the point

Why look for back-up from anonymous strangers who weren't with you when you failed? Your examiner, who is almost certainly a more experienced and better qualified driver than all of us here, decided you failed. That's the end of it. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's annoying. It's tough but that's life. I failed my first test too. I didn't go whinging to people asking if I should have passed. Move on, have another couple of lessons, learn from where you went wrong, and ace the test next time. Good luck.
Reply 4
Why look for back-up from anonymous strangers who weren't with you when you failed? Your examiner, who is almost certainly a more experienced and better qualified driver than all of us here, decided you failed. That's the end of it. Yes, it sucks. Yes, it's annoying. It's tough but that's life. I failed my first test too. I didn't go whinging to people asking if I should have passed. Move on, have another couple of lessons, learn from where you went wrong, and ace the test next time. Good luck.

Im not looking for back up from anonymous strangers I just wanted opinions as to wether the decision was a little harsh. My driving instructor who is also qualified to be a examiner said it is extremely harsh and she has not heard of any one failing for this ever. It wasn't my first test you glowing beam of wisdom and I most certainly did not whinge when I have previously failed cause I know I did wrong I just feel this decision was harsh and wanted some feedback not a rude response. You can go now.
Im not looking for back up from anonymous strangers I just wanted opinions as to wether the decision was a little harsh. My driving instructor who is also qualified to be a examiner said it is extremely harsh and she has not heard of any one failing for this ever. It wasn't my first test you glowing beam of wisdom and I most certainly did not whinge when I have previously failed cause I know I did wrong I just feel this decision was harsh and wanted some feedback not a rude response. You can go now.

Ok, here you go. I assume this is what you were looking for.

I can't believe he did that! You're such a good driver, the examiner was way out of order and was clearly too harsh on you. I know the hill you mean, first gear is fine for going up it. Stupid car behind you shouldn't have been so close anyway. All the best drivers pass third time anyway. You'll do great!
Reply 6
Ok, here you go. I assume this is what you were looking for.

I can't believe he did that! You're such a good driver, the examiner was way out of order and was clearly too harsh on you. I know the hill you mean, first gear is fine for going up it. Stupid car behind you shouldn't have been so close anyway. All the best drivers pass third time anyway. You'll do great!

No not really.. Some thing along the lines of any of the following;"Yeah that happened to me instead I did xxxxx""The reason that is a fail is xxxxx""I was told to do xxxx instead to avoid a fail"Not "we weren't there your examiner was"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
1 - you really shouldn't be driving in first gear, even up a steep hill, unless you're pulling off or moving very slowly. You can pull off in second gear in most cars, so I'm sure it would have been no trouble getting up the hill. (I've managed to pull off in 3rd gear too).

2 - 'dropping down to first' usually comes with a rather sudden drop in speed. If the car behind was moving at the same speed round the corner, you suddenly slowing down like that could have been a problem if they weren't concentrating fully on your speed (you generally don't expect cars in front to slow down without indication).

It was definitely a fault, but whether it should be considered a major fault was fully up to the examiner's assessment of the situation. Just remember to keep an eye on how your movements could impact other road users :cute:
-- I think the examiner was very harsh. I almost always drop down to first going up very steep hills. My *****y little 1.4L engine cant handle it in second gear if I'm going up a really steep one - especially since there are ****ing speed bumps on the way up and I need to slow to like 15 MPH to go over them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Alexion
1 - you really shouldn't be driving in first gear, even up a steep hill, unless you're pulling off or moving very slowly. You can pull off in second gear in most cars, so I'm sure it would have been no trouble getting up the hill. (I've managed to pull off in 3rd gear too).

2 - 'dropping down to first' usually comes with a rather sudden drop in speed. If the car behind was moving at the same speed round the corner, you suddenly slowing down like that could have been a problem if they weren't concentrating fully on your speed (you generally don't expect cars in front to slow down without indication).

It was definitely a fault, but whether it should be considered a major fault was fully up to the examiner's assessment of the situation. Just remember to keep an eye on how your movements could impact other road users :cute:

Hello

I was going up the hill in second originally but it was getting slower and slower as the car was not powerful enough or the hill was too steep so I dropped it to gear one then the car speed up! Maybe I should of really put my foot down in second to give it enough "welly" to get up the hill! It was tricky because the view of what was around the corner was blocked by bushes and trees so I couldn't see it was a hill :frown:
So yesterday I took my second driving test. I drove so well (usually I am very self critical) parked up at the end was so sure I passed.."unfortunately you have failed"
The reason for my "serious" fault was I drove round a corner in second which then went straight up a steep hill, gear number two wasn't quite cutting it and was slowing so I dropped to one... That's why I failed... Because the car behind was slowed when in my eyes their on the same hill and I didn't invent physics! Was this harsh or am I just bitter?!

This happened to me on my first driving test. I drove exceptionally well for me all the way through the test then five minutes before the end I parked up and was told to move off, I checked all around me and set off and a van sped (literally at 60mph) up from the roundabout and because he was going so fast of course had to slow down, but the examiner said because i moved off I caused him slowing down, when actually if he was going at the correct speed he wouldnt have even got to me before I was well away, I failed to, yes its unfair, but keep going.
Reply 11
Original post by Natalierm2707
This happened to me on my first driving test. I drove exceptionally well for me all the way through the test then five minutes before the end I parked up and was told to move off, I checked all around me and set off and a van sped (literally at 60mph) up from the roundabout and because he was going so fast of course had to slow down, but the examiner said because i moved off I caused him slowing down, when actually if he was going at the correct speed he wouldnt have even got to me before I was well away, I failed to, yes its unfair, but keep going.

The same examiner failed my sister. She said please pull over on a safe place on the left like they do.. She checked her mirrors signalled and pulled in.. The examiner failed her because the car behind had to slow down... I don't understand that! Of course the car had to slow down you were pulling in but that isn't dangerous. Will you fail for a car having to slow behind you when you turn a corner at 15 mph? Lol
Reply 12
You must have been going really slow to need 1st gear. I mean that is like <10mph surely. I don't see how the car could struggle in second gear.
The same examiner failed my sister. She said please pull over on a safe place on the left like they do.. She checked her mirrors signalled and pulled in.. The examiner failed her because the car behind had to slow down... I don't understand that! Of course the car had to slow down you were pulling in but that isn't dangerous. Will you fail for a car having to slow behind you when you turn a corner at 15 mph? Lol

Its so stupid, I understand the safety issue behind it, but if the car is speeding and you leave an appropriate distance you shouldnt fail.
I passed my theory the first time but my driving at my fourth attempt. My second attempt was failed because I wrongly judged the distance of another car passing by and my third because I was passing by too close to another car which was - as the examiner admitted - parked in the wrong way. Just have another go, no big deal.
I can't say I recall ever using 1st gear to get up a hill other than when I've literally moved off from the hill from being parked on it or in traffic. If you're in motion and approached it correctly, I see no reason why you'd need to drop to 1st (below 10mph!) - you must have been absolutely crawling in 2nd or 3rd to have to do that. I say that as a person whose first car was a 1.2 and I didn't live in a flat place. It's pretty dangerous to be in motion and drop to first like that because other drivers won't be expecting it - they'll be getting ready to rev it up in 2nd or 3rd whilst you're crawling up. I understand you're examiners concern tbh. But anyway, nothing you can do about it now - get more practice and try again.
Reply 16
Original post by B_9710
You must have been going really slow to need 1st gear. I mean that is like <10mph surely. I don't see how the car could struggle in second gear.

Possibly I was going at around 15mph around the corner then straight into the very steep. You know when like your going up a hill and it feels like the car is slowly dying and reducing speed even though you're putting you're foot down it was like that so I dropped to first and it sped up. What should I of done really put my foot down at the very start when I was at the bottom of the hill?
Reply 17
Original post by KatieBlogger
I can't say I recall ever using 1st gear to get up a hill other than when I've literally moved off from the hill from being parked on it or in traffic. If you're in motion and approached it correctly, I see no reason why you'd need to drop to 1st (below 10mph!) - you must have been absolutely crawling in 2nd or 3rd to have to do that. I say that as a person whose first car was a 1.2 and I didn't live in a flat place. It's pretty dangerous to be in motion and drop to first like that because other drivers won't be expecting it - they'll be getting ready to rev it up in 2nd or 3rd whilst you're crawling up. I understand you're examiners concern tbh. But anyway, nothing you can do about it now - get more practice and try again.

I've never needed to drop to first either before. What should I of done ? If I carried on in second I think I would of eventually started rolling abckwards😝

The hill was so so steep and I didn't have much speed behind me due to the corner
I've never needed to drop to first either before. What should I of done ? If I carried on in second I think I would of eventually started rolling abckwards😝...
You should have gunned it in second as soon as you began straightening out of the corner.

Never put your foot down half way up a hill, it puts load on the engine.
if you really need to drop a gear do it very quickly and try to keep the revs up, almost like double de-clutching.

Get you instructor to take you back there to practice.

And it is 'would/should have' not "would/should of".
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by mphysical
You should have gunned it in second as soon as you began straightening out of the corner.

Never put your foot down half way up a hill, it puts load on the engine.
if you really need to drop a gear do it very quickly and try to keep the revs up, almost like double de-clutching.

Get you instructor to take you back there to practice.

And it is 'would/should have' not "would/should of".

I didn't know it was a hill around the corner as the view was completely restricted by bushes and trees so was unprepared for the gunning it tactic ha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending