The Student Room Group

Becoming an MP

Hello!
I know it's a most obscure thing to ask anyone to know about, but I am really inspired to become an MP and want some guidance about how this may be possible to achieve? I'm talking things like qualifications, process of actually becoming an MP, how does one stand for election?

Thank you very much in advance,
Joshua
Reply 1
Anybody can stand in an election, you don't even need to be associated with a party. Qualifications, experience and so on are completely irrelevant. If you get the most votes, you are elected.
Any qualification is acceptable (ideally at degree standard but not essential), but the main thing is establishing good ties and putting good ground work within a party. Although you can run as an independent its very difficult.
To start with you need to get actively involved with the party of your choice(unless you're starting your own or running as an independent). If you're going alone all you need is £500 for a deposit.
Thank you all. I am going to run for a party as I am already a member of it, so I suppose I just need to try and speak to the party?
Reply 5
Original post by jhuk510
Thank you all. I am going to run for a party as I am already a member of it, so I suppose I just need to try and speak to the party?

Yes.

And
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/memberofparliament(mp).aspx
Original post by jhuk510
Hello!
I know it's a most obscure thing to ask anyone to know about, but I am really inspired to become an MP and want some guidance about how this may be possible to achieve? I'm talking things like qualifications, process of actually becoming an MP, how does one stand for election?

Joshua

I was thinking about this too :h:

Great question, thank you for asking it. And good luck with it too :smile:
You have a while to wait TBH. :biggrin: Unless Boris...
But in all seriousness, there are MP's with no degree, MP's with degrees in history, English etc. Mhairi Black who was elected last year, was not even finished her degree yet and she got elected, youngest MP in years. Probably should join a party and maybe gain work experience in the politics area but generally there are MP's from a variety of backgrounds so there aren't guarantees, you know?
Original post by jhuk510

Becoming a politician at any level is pretty ruthless. You need a very thick skin and lots of cunning. By all means start attending your local party meetings and networking but you need to also get the lay of the land and see who else you might be competing against.

Good luck - but my-oh-my.
Original post by jhuk510
Hello!

Joshua

I do too, but in about 40 years time... go in with a passion, purpose and experience.
Easiest way is to join a political party and work your way up to being selected as a candidate, but that will likely need several years of commitment to the party first to show hard working etc. Even when selected as a candidate, becoming an MP is not guaranteed.

But to help get selected, it's good to also get experience of being involved in organisations, charities, businesses or campaign groups.

Alternatively, you could stand as an independent at the next election - but you'd need to fund your own deposit (I think maybe £5000, but it is refundable if you get at least 5% of the votes) and need a sufficient number of nominators - something like 20 or 50 I think.

But this is the hard way as few independents get elected. But it is possible - we have one directly elected independent from Northern Ireland at the moment and back in the 90s Martin Bell, a journalist, unseated the Tory Neil Hamilton in what is now George Osborne's constituency. Neil Hamiliton is now back, having just been elected to the Welsh Assembly for UKIP.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending