The Student Room Group

Scotland can't do referendums any time they want

Scroll to see replies

October 15, 2013 on BBC’s Daily Politics. Sturgeon said the referendum was a “once in a generation event, possibly once in a lifetime for Scotland".

How's that for lying to the electorate?
Scotland eould want to leave anyway. EU or not. England treats them awfully and Brexit will only make it worse.
Original post by tengentoppa
Perhaps, but both the Spanish and French leaders have poured cold water on the idea, so in the short term at least I think the vetoes will stick.

In the short term nothing will happen because the UK can't have meaningful negotiations until there is a new PM.
Reply 43
Original post by Duncan2012
October 15, 2013 on BBC’s Daily Politics. Sturgeon said the referendum was a “once in a generation event, possibly once in a lifetime for Scotland".

How's that for lying to the electorate?

It's not lying if the regressive progressives support that side.
Original post by ThatRandomGirl
England treats them awfully

You mean like letting them have their own government, tax raising powers and an extra 15% or so funding per head compared to England? Yeah, that's treating them awfully.
Original post by Josb

Kosovo isn't going to join anytime soon.

Obviously not but I wasn't suggesting they were. The point is that the EU regards Spain has having a nervous tick when it comes to separatism and ignores it. The position in 2014 was different. The EU was supporting the UK's unionism.
Original post by Josb
The Spanish Prime Minister has said today:"I want to be very clear: Scotland does not have the competence to negotiate with the European Union. Spain opposes any negotiation by anyone other than the government of the United Kingdom,” he told a news conference following a summit of European leaders in Brussels.

“I am extremely against it, the treaties are extremely against it and I believe everyone is extremely against it. If the United Kingdom leaves Scotland leaves."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/nicola-sturgeon-scotland-plea-eu-leaders-sympathy-little-hope

Doesn't sound good.

Yes, that's why I said the EU won't necessarily accept an independent Scotland. I agree, it doesn't sound good for them at all!
You mean like letting them have their own government, tax raising powers and an extra 15% or so funding per head compared to England? Yeah, that's treating them awfully.

You clearly don't know what England does to them. Then again neither did I until I asked them.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Westminster can deny it. They better had. Time of the month for Nicola it seems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you for real??
Reply 49
Original post by RoyalMarine
They voted to remain in the UK so they're not a free and independent nation. They voted to remain in the UK and having a small population it means the English rule on Scotland. If they voted for independence then they would have the right to join the EU. The English will concede a new referendum in 2036. Till then, 'Better Together' :biggrin:

They voted to remain in the UK before England committed an act of economic self-harm and stupidity.

Now, if the support is there, Scotland should be able to gain independence if it wishes. If I were living in Scotland, I'd want to get away from England: England used Project Fear on Scotland to get them to stay and then went and left the EU.

In fact, I think a new country should be formed, consisting of London, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Scotland and Northern Island. We'll see how everyone else does then.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
Why are some of the people who show such animosity towards Scotland so obsessed with insisting Scotland shoudn't be allowed another independence referendum?

Just make up your minds and get on with living in post-Brexit (in a sense) Britain.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think they'll have a referendum but I'm not sure the EU is interested in Scotland.
Original post by ThatRandomGirl
You clearly don't know what England does to them. Then again neither did I until I asked them.

I'm Scottish. I live in Scotland. I won't say where I work but I have a pretty good idea what goes on up here.
Reply 53
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I think they'll have a referendum but I'm not sure the EU is interested in Scotland.

The EU is interested in all European countries that meet the requirements. The EU cannot begin formal discussions with an entity that is not yet an independent country though, hence the stonewalling of Scotland just now.

Whether or not Spain would use its veto however is another matter, although personally I think the rejection of a country for political reasons is against the very principles of the EU.
I'm Scottish. I live in Scotland. I won't say where I work but I have a pretty good idea what goes on up here.

Then are you sure you know what's happening. The fact that you get legislation before us like you're a test area. Possibly the blocking of the advancement of something that would bring you more money. Or possibly England taking your money. These things happen to Scotland because of England.
Original post by viddy9
They voted to remain in the UK before England committed an act of economic self-harm and stupidity.

Now, if the support is there, Scotland should be able to gain independence if it wishes. If I were living in Scotland, I'd want to get away from England: England used Project Fear on Scotland to get them to stay and then went and left the EU.

In fact, I think a new country should be formed, consisting of London, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Scotland and Northern Island. We'll see how everyone else does then.

Anything someone disagrees with can be simply dismissed as 'self-harm' and 'stupidity'. It's clear that on that basis the SNP's criteria for another independence vote is anything at all not going their way.

It is not reasonable to expect all parts of the country to agree on everything at all times. There are entire regions of England with a larger population than Scotland that are dominated by the Tories and/or Brexit. Will they get special concessions any time votes go the other way?

Scotland can not expect to be taken seriously when it whinges about voting results being unfair to it when it's remedy is simply to turn the tables and make it unfair on the other side. If they could they'd happily nullify a legitimate national referendum and keep the entire UK in the EU even though England and Wales voted to leave. You'll have to excuse many English people then when they shed not one single tear over Scotland's 'plight'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wee Nic knows the challenges she faces. :eviltongue:
I back her all the way though, she's a great politician. She wouldn't risk a loss at a referendum so she isn't just gonna jump into another independence referendum unless she thought she would win. :h: And yes the UK voted to leave but Scotland isn't just a region, dont treat it as such, imagine if England voted to leave and were forced to stay because the rest of the U.K. said stay, you'd be annoyed and upset too.
Reply 57
Original post by offhegoes

Whether or not Spain would use its veto however is another matter, although personally I think the rejection of a country for political reasons is against the very principles of the EU.

It's been done since the beginning of the EU. Cf. when France vetoed the admission of the UK in the 1960s.
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Wee Nic knows the challenges she faces. :eviltongue:
I back her all the way though, she's a great politician. She wouldn't risk a loss at a referendum so she isn't just gonna jump into another independence referendum unless she thought she would win. :h: And yes the UK voted to leave but Scotland isn't just a region, dont treat it as such, imagine if England voted to leave and were forced to stay because the rest of the U.K. said stay, you'd be annoyed and upset too.

That's exactly what the SNP originally wanted to do. They were looking at blocking Brexit completely for the UK. You can not complain about something that you'd absolutely do yourself given the opportunity.
Original post by pol pot noodles
That's exactly what the SNP originally wanted to do. They were looking at blocking Brexit completely for the UK. You can not complain about something that you'd absolutely do yourself given the opportunity.

What is it they wanted to do? ( not sure which part you're talking about. )
And secondly, I'm highly doubtful they would have done that, if anything they would have only used it as leverage so Westminster don't block another independence referendum. :yep: Though, seems like they can't do that now because apparently Westminster don't need Scottish parliaments permission to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending