The Student Room Group

Why do women worry about walking alone at night but not men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
"Erm" nothing. Being bullied is the same in regards to being randomly attacked. So again I ask you, what about physically inferior men who get attacked? Or are you just gonna cry about being a female.

Like I said I'm going from my own experience. I don't understand why you feel the need to belittle my own experience. I can't speak for physically inferior men because I'm not one. I shouldn't have to also. I won't reply to you again.I have nothing more to say to you. You have no idea about my personal experiences. Pretty shocked how you've reacted I actually liked your threads.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Like I said I'm going from my own experience. I don't understand why you feel the need to belittle my own experience. I can't speak for physically inferior men because I'm not one. I shouldn't have to also. I won't reply to you again.I have nothing more to say to you. You have no idea about my personal experiences. Pretty shocked how you've reacted I actually liked your threads.

I dont understand why you think I'm belittling you. I wanna understand why you're trivialising what physically inferior men could go through. The onesidedness of people on women's behalf in these discussions are troubling. Because it exempts people from taking responsibility for being horrible to both men and women.
I am mentally weak so if someone tried to rob me or whtever I would probably start crying
Reply 83
Original post by 0to100
Ok 1st off yea screaming is stupid. Trust me they're on edge and use weapons as intimidation initially even though many times they come to use it in panic or ruthlessness. So startling them they'll use the weapon. Also self defense experts preach to never antagonise someone with a weapon or an assailant even without a weapon. It's just stupid. I know you were tryna be funny but that's stupid advice no one should try.

2ndly, you're presenting it like it is yes foolproof. If you didn't think it wasn't a good idea/foolproof, then why'd you post it...

Don't get me started on your fanciful and if real foolish claims of vandalism.

Keeping them "occupied?" Lol they wanna mug you, not have a conversation. There's realistically no reason nor time to try to keep them "occupied." Once they get the money they would clear out, walking backwards making sure you're stood there, and then they take off. They're not orcs from Lord of the Rings standing guard at a tower to be kept "occupied." They're muggers with one clear quick goal which you made easy when you supposedly threw 200 quid at their feet. Carrying 4k around oh yea I forgot about that part mostly because I barely believed it. Unless you owe a bookie or a dealer cash there's no need or sense to carry around 4k. Maybe a money order for 4k. But don't bother backpedaling about that now. Here's a final note: don't scream, don't throw a ****ing rock, and don't take the piss in a discussion about safety.

First of all if you doubt the veracity of the story just pm me and I will happily give you the address of the house and or I daresay I could get a copy of the report from the police station although this happened in 2006. But I don't see why it still wouldn't be on record.

Now obviously I don't expect you to do that but I don't like being called a liar .

As for the seriousness of this thread however. That point I accept. I didn't know it was a serious thread because I often just read the title of a thread and post.

FYI I've been a professional gambler since 2004 and that money was for a vitally important hegde bet that I need ed to place the following day. I was coming back from the cash point although I had most of it on me already.

My gambling exploits have been reported in a national newspaper. Perhaps you don't believe that either though?

Funnily enough I had a problem explaining to the police why I had so much cash on me and it was quite funny because they took me to the station after driving around trying to find these people and they asked me how much money exactly I had give or take the £200 and I didn't know exactly. So I had to count it out and this made them even more suspicious for some reason.

Now as for your comment about what muggers would or wouldn't do. If you are saying that they might have just gone off with the £200 then of course there was a chance they would.
But I had to assume that they might well have wondered how much more I might be carrying. I don't know how they saw my action.

Apart from that every single mugging is different and the circumstances of each victim are different.

So please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do in any such situation.

Unless you are a mugger of course?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
First of all if you doubt the veracity of the story just pm me and I will happily give you the address of the house and or I daresay I could get a copy of the report from the police station although this happened in 2006. But I don't see why it still wouldn't be on record.

Now obviously I don't expect you to do that but I don't like being called a liar .

As for the seriousness of this thread however. That point I accept. I didn't know it was a serious thread because I often just read the title of a thread and post.

FYI I've been a professional gambler since 2004 and that money was for a vitally important hegde bet that I need ed to place the following day. I was coming back from the cash point although I had most of it on me already.

My gambling exploits have been reported in a national newspaper. Perhaps you don't believe that either though?

Funnily enough I had a problem explaining to the police why I had so much cash on me and it was quite funny because they took me to the station after driving around trying to find these people and they asked me how much money exactly I had give or take the £200 and I didn't know exactly. So I had to count it out and this made them even more suspicious for some reason.

Now as for your comment about what muggers would or wouldn't do. If you are saying that they might have just gone off with the £200 then of course there was a chance they would.
But I had to assume that they might well have wondered how much more I might be carrying. I don't know how they saw my action.

Apart from that every single mugging is different and the circumstances of each victim are different.

So please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do in any such situation.

Unless you are a mugger of course?

Right all of this is great but as I said even if its true it's foolish.
I have no idea why I get so petrified walking home at night.
Like I literally run home after I get off the bus, I think I get anxiety walking home in the dark.
I have no idea why this behaviour is learnt.
Original post by 0to100
Wtf nah you made the claim! All you gotta do is google "do men get attacked more than women?" Or google "attacks on men", then "attacks on women." Or keep posting **** without evidence, but I'm willing to believe that statement you made.

I'll take a miss on that.
Original post by 0to100
Women women women. What about the short physically inferior men walking around getting bullied?

It's not about getting 'bullied'. I'm from a rough area and can take care of myself if anyone wants to start anything like that. It's more about actual harassment, as in walking home alone after a night out and getting a gang of drunk boys/men come up to you. I know nothing really bad is going to happen, but it's still not a great position to be in.

I don't understand your point anyway, are you suggesting women somehow have no 'right' to be fearful? Because 'men also have reasons to fear!'? The tone of a lot of responses to this thread appear to think this way. I think a lot of anti-feminists resent the fact that women have this problem, and at any opportunity want to ridicule and demean women for 'victimising' themselves while in turn attempting to show them how men are 'victims' also. It's like they view this as a game, and they don't want women to score 'points' on the fact that they aren't entirely free to walk the streets at night without some level of fear.
Original post by 0to100
Women women women. What about the short physically inferior men walking around getting bullied?

Yep.
Original post by queen-bee
we can hire you as a body guard

no ty, im not a fan of looking for trouble and im defo not going to do it for someone random lol. if you paid well, maybe :biggrin: just take boxing lessons yourself though innit :s-smilie:
Original post by welcometoib
no ty, im not a fan of looking for trouble and im defo not going to do it for someone random lol. if you paid well, maybe :biggrin: just take boxing lessons yourself though innit :s-smilie:

very rude :haughty:
Original post by queen-bee
very rude :haughty:

its rude to encourage you and other ladies to learn how to defend yourselves better? :colonhash: peak, ul, gg, gl
Reply 92
I don't get scared I'm dench m8
Reply 93
Original post by Foo.mp3
Women are generally more weak and feeble/prone to getting randomly raped/murdered sans (direct) provocation. Real tea :tea:

Internet bravado / 10 :colonhash:

Spoiler

Hurting you is my only option at this point:colonhash:
It's the obvious bla bla that men are stronger than women but it does not apply to every single man in the world, at least not to me. I even occasionally turn back during broad daylight because I have this feeling like someone is following me due to being a victim of a weirdos who attacked me and threatened to slit my throat :erm:
Original post by SophiaNeuning
It's not about getting 'bullied'. I'm from a rough area and can take care of myself if anyone wants to start anything like that. It's more about actual harassment, as in walking home alone after a night out and getting a gang of drunk boys/men come up to you. I know nothing really bad is going to happen, but it's still not a great position to be in.

I don't understand your point anyway, are you suggesting women somehow have no 'right' to be fearful? Because 'men also have reasons to fear!'? The tone of a lot of responses to this thread appear to think this way. I think a lot of anti-feminists resent the fact that women have this problem, and at any opportunity want to ridicule and demean women for 'victimising' themselves while in turn attempting to show them how men are 'victims' also. It's like they view this as a game, and they don't want women to score 'points' on the fact that they aren't entirely free to walk the streets at night without some level of fear.

What? Just because you accuse me of that and say it matter of factly it doesn't mean that's what I was doing...

WHo repped you? Desperately repped you? Did you not see my posts all throughout this thread saying exactly this:

Original post by 0to100

EVERYONE is vulnerable to being attacked whether mugged or rapped or violently by a madman. Man, woman, child, elderly, small, big, tough, coward, poor, rich. And it's all horrible. So don't sit there typing it's only horrible for a certain group and a certain type of attack?! Live a little, learn a little.
I wanna understand why you're trivialising what physically inferior men could go through. The onesidedness of people on women's behalf in these discussions are troubling. Because it exempts people from taking responsibility for being horrible to both men and women.
Original post by 0to100
What? Just because you accuse me of that and say it matter of factly it doesn't mean that's what I was doing...

WHo repped you? Desperately repped you? Did you not see my posts all throughout this thread saying exactly this:

Okay, firstly, I should have made clear that my post wasn't directed entirely at you. Secondly, maybe I was repped because I made a point that someone agreed with.

Lastly, I will say, that this actually is something new. I've never seen someone respond this way before. So someone asks why women are nervous walking alone at night, and you go on a bit of a rant about how people should consider petite men. The main thing women fear in this kind of situation is sexual harassment. Unless I'm in an infamously rough area, with stabbings/muggings etc that doesn't really enter my head. But in this case, yes, everyone is nervous. And I'd never dream of saying otherwise, and I've had instances where I have male friends who go certain places alone at night and I'm like 'how can you go there!?'.

Regardless, I still find your response odd. It still reeks of 'men too! How dare you not consider men!!'. 2 women were raped on my campus after walking alone after a night out last year, and several more sexually harassed, so forgive me if I place an emphasis on women. No need to be jealous. There is plenty of misery in the world that we can share around. And hey, if only! If only we could cut off some of the added stress and anxieties women have by virtue of being women, and give it to you. I'd gladly give you this added anxiety of sexual harassment when walking alone on TOP of the already present anxiety you have of violent non-sexual attack.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't usually worry because I live in a good area.
Reply 98
Original post by balanced
Just curious as to why people have this belief.

The reason people would be worried is because of the number of victims, so, when we look at victims, we see that around 33% of violent crime victims are female.

Women are half as likely to be attacked on the street as men, so why do people think this way?

Getting shanked isn't as bad as getting raped 🤷🏿*♂️
but twice as likely as a man to be raped walking home alone...

Quick Reply

Latest