The Student Room Group

Bad predicted grades

I received my grades back for the mocks which will be used as predicted grades for my university application, a D in chemistry and B in biology.
I am not unhappy about my grade in biology however I am very disappointed by my grade in chemistry, especially as I was hoping to study it at Birmingham University.
I was hoping someone might have some advice, I'm thinking of applying for chemistry with a foundation year.
Reply 1
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
I received my grades back for the mocks which will be used as predicted grades for my university application, a D in chemistry and B in biology.
I am not unhappy about my grade in biology however I am very disappointed by my grade in chemistry, especially as I was hoping to study it at Birmingham University.
I was hoping someone might have some advice, I'm thinking of applying for chemistry with a foundation year.

your only hope is to beg your teachers but bare in mind most teachers aren't happy with predicting you high grades cause they don't want people to end up gettting rejected .. I had this issue with my english teacher last year cause she wouldn't predict me the grade i wanted and i just couldn't persuaded her at all... just remember that many unis will give offers even if your grades don't match the entry requirements but obviously if you're predicting like a C and they want an A then you're unlikely to get the offer, but the course you're talking about should hopefully be more lenient ... all i can say is try your best to convince your teacher that you can do better :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
your only hope is to beg your teachers but bare in mind most teachers aren't happy with predicting you high grades cause they don't want people to end up gettting rejected .. I had this issue with my english teacher last year cause she wouldn't predict me the grade i wanted and i just couldn't persuaded her at all... just remember that many unis will give offers even if your grades don't match the entry requirements but obviously if you're predicting like a C and they want an A then you're unlikely to get the offer, but the course you're talking about should hopefully be more lenient ... all i can say is try your best to convince your teacher that you can do better :smile:

Thanks for the advice, out of curiosity what did you get for English and what did you need?
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice, out of curiosity what did you get for English and what did you need?

At AS i got a B and was like 14 marks off an A but cause my uni course wanted AAA i tried my best to beg them to predict me an A but they didn't so my prediction was a B... luckily my other teacher saved me with their A* prediction so my predicted grades were still equivalent and i got all my offers but yeh for some reason that teacher just wasnt up for predicting me the high grade :frown:
Original post by fefssdf
At AS i got a B and was like 14 marks off an A but cause my uni course wanted AAA i tried my best to beg them to predict me an A but they didn't so my prediction was a B... luckily my other teacher saved me with their A* prediction so my predicted grades were still equivalent and i got all my offers but yeh for some reason that teacher just wasnt up for predicting me the high grade :frown:

Well that's... great (for you I mean, I'm glad you got the offer). :redface:
:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Well that's... great (for you I mean, I'm glad you got the offer). :redface:
:frown:

thanks and yeh i can't relate to much with your situation as i guess you want predictions that are a lot higher than your mock results . maybe ask your teacher now what you can do for a higher prediction e.g. any extra work to show that you're committed
Original post by fefssdf
thanks and yeh i can't relate to much with your situation as i guess you want predictions that are a lot higher than your mock results . maybe ask your teacher now what you can do for a higher prediction e.g. any extra work to show that you're committed

Thanks for your help, anyway :smile:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Universities know schools can vary a lot in the predicted grades they give out. At my school the teachers just asked what grade we needed for our first choice uni and predicted us that (they really didn't care at all how realistic it was :s-smilie:) and there are schools like yours that will base their prediction on one single test.

Wait and see how your AS results go, if you're getting the grade you need in those then the university can clearly see you're doing fine. After you get your results (which will hopefully be much better than your mock) then go and talk to your teacher and ask if she'd be willing you change your prediction based on that because you need 'X' grade for you first choice uni? I think if you got a 'B' in your AS and then were predicted a 'D' they'd know that didn't match up!

Best of luck! As you want to do a foundation year you should be fine :h:
Original post by Firefly13
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Universities know schools can vary a lot in the predicted grades they give out. At my school the teachers just asked what grade we needed for our first choice uni and predicted us that (they really didn't care at all how realistic it was :s-smilie:) and there are schools like yours that will base their prediction on one single test.

Wait and see how your AS results go, if you're getting the grade you need in those then the university can clearly see you're doing fine. After you get your results (which will hopefully be much better than your mock) then go and talk to your teacher and ask if she'd be willing you change your prediction based on that because you need 'X' grade for you first choice uni? I think if you got a 'B' in your AS and then were predicted a 'D' they'd know that didn't match up!

Best of luck! As you want to do a foundation year you should be fine :h:

Thank you for the help :h:, I'll see if I can get the predicted grade up to at least a C as it is an unusually low result, that way I'll be sure to get a place on the foundation course and maybe change the course during clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending