The Student Room Group

A-level options... HELP!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by glebp
are you planning on doing 5 as levels?

God no! I'd do 4 at the max. The thing now a days though is the AS and A2 have been decoupled for most A-levels so our actual A-level is assessed at the end of year 13. My school tried to discourage people doing 4 because of the silly amount of exams and stress in year 13. However, maths is still done as an AS and A2 that hasn't changed yet; I'll do AS levels in History, Economics, geography, if I choose one of these but the AS doesn't go towards the actual A-level grade... On the other hand, there are no science AS levels as there is just so much to learn and they would be a "distraction" but if I took a science e.g. Physics in year 12 and decided it was too much, I wouldn't have an AS to show for all that work... Decisions, decisions... 🤔😂
Reply 21
Original post by chazwomaq
I did biology, chemistry, English, and Maths at A level (all As in the days before A*s), then natural sciences at Cambridge (1st).

Wow! I wish I was that smart 😂 Do you know any economics graduates from Cambridge? What A-levels they took etc? My concern is that at Cambridge, the entry requirement is so high now for economics: A*A*A I'm worried a forth would jepodise the likelihood of getting the required results... Especially as the fourth isn't included in the offer. Or is it just cold hearted fact that is you can't get an extra A in a fourth, you simply aren't Cambridge material?
Original post by J.Page
Wow! I wish I was that smart 😂 Do you know any economics graduates from Cambridge? What A-levels they took etc? My concern is that at Cambridge, the entry requirement is so high now for economics: A*A*A I'm worried a forth would jepodise the likelihood of getting the required results... Especially as the fourth isn't included in the offer. Or is it just cold hearted fact that is you can't get an extra A in a fourth, you simply aren't Cambridge material?

I don't actually, although several of my friends work in banking and finance.

I would say you should be pretty comfortable getting at least an A in your 4th A level if you really are Cambridge standard. A levels are very easy compared with Oxbridge degree level material.
Reply 23
I don't actually, although several of my friends work in banking and finance.

I would say you should be pretty comfortable getting at least an A in your 4th A level if you really are Cambridge standard. A levels are very easy compared with Oxbridge degree level material.

Thank you to your help! I'll probably start with 4 and see how I cope with them; is it best to take a 4th which is well respected but I'm less likely to get an A e.g physics or something I'm natural very able in such as geography and more likely to get a high grade or something less respectful such as sociology etc?
Original post by J.Page
Thank you to your help! I'll probably start with 4 and see how I cope with them; is it best to take a 4th which is well respected but I'm less likely to get an A e.g physics or something I'm natural very able in such as geography and more likely to get a high grade or something less respectful such as sociology etc?

Geography is well respected even though it's easier than physics. Both are more respected than sociology.
Reply 25
Geography is well respected even though it's easier than physics. Both are more respected than sociology.

How does Maths, History, Geography and Economics sound?
Original post by J.Page
How does Maths, History, Geography and Economics sound?

Reply 27

Thanks 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest