The Student Room Group

How much pocket money do you get ?

I get £80 a month and I wondered whether other people get similar amounts - by the way my parents aren't rich or anything - I'm getting the max amount from student finance... but just wondered whether other people get pocket money ?

Scroll to see replies

So, I would get around £30 per week. On top of that I also work part time in a theatre and the pay is good. It depends on how many shifts I do during the week but I can make around £90 - £150 during a busy week. Which is just perfect for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never get pocket money. When I want to buy something or go out with my friends i'll ask for some money.
None, it's not a thing in my family
Reply 4
Isn't pocket money something little children get?
Never heard of teenagers getting it, let alone students.
My parents just help me out where needed.
Original post by Inazuma

I think one can class pocket money differently. Some people use the words to describe the support (money support) your get from your parents and so on. It normally means that that support is given weekly or monthly.

Just asked Mr Google and the definition for pocket money is... "small amount of money given to a child by its parents, typically on a regular basis."

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get £200 a month from my parents
Reply 7
Original post by Jackieox
I get £200 a month from my parents

Damnnnnnnnnn - what do you do with that ?!!!
Original post by Inazuma

Lots of students get 'pocket money' or financial assistance from parents/family. As do (young) adults. Things like a new car or wedding/house deposit, it's not totally uncommon for parents to help out.
Original post by fefssdf
I get £80 a month and I wondered whether other people get similar amounts - by the way my parents aren't rich or anything - I'm getting the max amount from student finance... but just wondered whether other people get pocket money ?

I'm 18 and I get £8 a month to pay for my phone, clothes and days out with. However, now that I've finished school my mum is going to stop paying me pocket money in September when I will either be getting a job or going to uni and receiving student finance.
I don't get any pocket money - I just pester my mum whenever I need cash :s-smilie:

Can't wait to get a job one day

Posted from TSR Mobile
80 a month? I get 5 a week, although if I'm going out with friends my mum will give me extra.
Reply 12
I get £10 a week to get lunch during the weekdays. You get money while at uni? Shouldn't you be taking care of yourself by now?
I haven't asked anyone for money for years.
Reply 13
I get £563 per month.

Then again, I do have a job.
Reply 14
I used to get 15 a week for food alone after school but now i just ask my parents for whatever i want then they get if for me:u:
I've always earnt my own money, never been given pocket money by the parents :P I work part time and make around about £87 a week.
I used to get £20/week

Pocket money for me, my sister and now my brother was always a weird one. We were given money, however we weren't allowed to actually spend it.. And if we did, we'd get in trouble. Very weird, we both thought. ANy how, it's made us both pretty decent with money. My brother however, being the youngest definitely needs more control.

He's the one that still gets pocket money, cos..age.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Ano123
I get £10 a week to get lunch during the weekdays. You get money while at uni? Shouldn't you be taking care of yourself by now?
I haven't asked anyone for money for years.

I'm not at uni know - I'm in year 13
From my mum - about a tenner a month :laugh:

From my grandparents - around £100 a month. They help me out with my driving lessons and things like gas and electricity sometimes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Just noticed the sixth formers getting little and commenting on 80 a month...
..you don't have to pay for food, electricity, rent etc guys hahaha!

To be honest student finance isn't enough to live on at all. I get 65 a week off my dad, which is a lot and idk why I get it.. but thats his way of excusing himself from seeing me. I think Id rather have a dad than money really. But compared to other friends at uni I get very little.

My mum was quite good at bringing me up with money, I got a part time job 15 but even at 11 she gave me 30 a month and said I had to buy everthing myself, apart from toiletries. Now I'm a pro at saving money :P

Quick Reply

Latest