The Student Room Group

Boris Johnson rules himself OUT

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SMEGGGY
They say he was only heading it for his own political ambitions (PM job) now Gove has entered the race he's felt backstabbed. Now he'll know how Cameron felt.

Still a shock though. TM for PM! Reminds me of Lady Thatcher.

Imagine UK PM lady, US President Lady, Labour opostion Lady!

Posted from TSR Mobile

History in the making:biggrin:
Reply 41
I haven't looked it up but I bet dollars to doughnuts Sweden has a female PM.

edit: I was wrong, what do you know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSRFT8
LMAO

I wonder why he pulled out, he clearly realised that if he triggers article 50 it will all come back on him and all of his lies will unravel in front of his eyes.

I can't see any reason why the leading figure of the leave campaign is not willing to take the country in the direction he campaigned for

Have you seen the leaked email Gove's wife accidentally sent public? Johnson doesn't have the support of Murdoch, therefore the game is over.
Original post by Good bloke
So you have not considered the possibility that he and Gove do not wish to split the exit-supporting Tory vote and have agreed that Gove would, at this time, be a better bet to win the leadership campaign?

Tories use AV for leadership votes don't they? So you can't split the vote.
Original post by nexttime
Tories use AV for leadership votes don't they? So you can't split the vote.

No. They have a series of FPTP ballots among MPs, the lowest
-ranked dropping out after each, until only two are left for the members to vote on. Having both Boris and Gove could allow a better chance for two others to get through to the members' vote.
So you have not considered the possibility that he and Gove do not wish to split the exit-supporting Tory vote and have agreed that Gove would, at this time, be a better bet to win the leadership campaign?

everyone's considered it, and no ones buying it lmfao
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
everyone's considered it, and no ones buying it lmfao

It's nothing to do with what he said it's just a naive way to look at it. Boris is not stupid he knows triggering Article 50 is political suicide and he knows and has said himself that he still wants free movement of people for access to the single market. Boris has basically very cleverly thrown Gove under the same bus he threw Cameron under a year ago he is playing the long waiting game and knows when Gove triggers article 50 he won't last more then a year and straight after Boris will jump at the next opportunity and have a clean slate as if Boris became PM right now he would have the pressure of brexit and he knows himself he does not want that
Reply 47
They said the same about Chukka Umunna and I don't see anyone putting his name forward yet.
Reply 48
Wow. Heseltine has really put the boot in on Boris.
Original post by moggis
History in the making:biggrin:

Four women (if Merkel survives) to bring down the West, one pro of a May win would be being able to say we've had 2 female leaders and PMs before Labour even get one leader.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. They have a series of FPTP ballots among MPs, the lowest
-ranked dropping out after each, until only two are left for the members to vote on. Having both Boris and Gove could allow a better chance for two others to get through to the members' vote.

Hmm, thinking about it you are basically still describing a drawn-out version of AV. Eventually either Boris or Gove would be voted out, in which case the vote splitting stops for the one who remains and if they are the most popular candidate they should win.

The only scenario under which Gove running might affect Borris would be if MPs were voting on the basis of previous rounds, which if they were being objective they would not.

No?
Original post by nexttime
Hmm, thinking about it you are basically still describing a drawn-out version of AV. Eventually either Boris or Gove would be voted out, in which case the vote splitting stops for the one who remains and if they are the most popular candidate they should win.

The only scenario under which Gove running might affect Borris would be if MPs were voting on the basis of previous rounds, which if they were being objective they would not.

No?

It's an exhaustive vote system

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now that Boris is ruled out, I hope Michael Gove takes a hike too. Don't get how a single student can like that man, and given what a *****y job he did as education secretary, I hope that the Conservatives actually go for sense over stupidity. As much as I dislike Theresa May, she definitely seems like the least bad option and could be OK at running the country.
I'm normally the type of person to tell you all that Boris is smarter than he seems but in this situation i think some of you are in denial. By all accounts Boris went to bed last night expecting to have a solid chance of a slot in the final and woke up to find that Gove had launched a metaphorical torpedo.

The reason Boris is not here is not because of a plan, it's because as popular as he may be among the people, Gove is much popular among MP's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending