The Student Room Group

headcount of french fluents

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Indeed it's very cool speaking more than one language :3

Well I can't learn Swedish for now, because I am currently learning Czech. After that I might learn Russian, and/or Spanish. I loooove languages :love:

What languages can you speak :3 ?

Lol How do you know so many languages. Are you still at A level? I can speak a bit spanish too (its spoken in canada too) but thats it.
Original post by ln2u
Lol How do you know so many languages. Are you still at A level? I can speak a bit spanish too (its spoken in canada too) but thats it.

See the post above, They're not the languages I know; but those I am learning / I want to learn :3

I am a French native so French obviously :P also mum is Algerian so I ended up fluent in Arabic, I 'started to learn English and German at school and continued by self teaching. And I might move out to Prague for studies so I thought learning Czech would be a good idea (self teaching)

I'm not at A-level, I am in a gap year :3
Spanish sounds cool :biggrin:
Reply 42
See the post above, They're not the languages I know; but those I am learning / I want to learn :3

I am a French native so French obviously :P also mum is Algerian so I ended up fluent in Arabic, I 'started to learn English and German at school and continued by self teaching. And I might move out to Prague for studies so I thought learning Czech would be a good idea (self teaching)

I'm not at A-level, I am in a gap year :3
Spanish sounds cool :biggrin:

I finished my A2 year :biggrin:. I wish I knew as many languages as you. Do you want to learn some spanish from me maybe I know a lot of basic and intermediate things in spanish but not fluent as i never bothered to look into it that much but because my people speak spanish I do speak it
Original post by ln2u
I finished my A2 year :biggrin:. I wish I knew as many languages as you. Do you want to learn some spanish from me maybe I know a lot of basic and intermediate things in spanish but not fluent as i never bothered to look into it that much but because my people speak spanish I do speak it

Congrats on finishing !! :woo:
So you live in Canada :ahee: ?

Tyvm for the offer :hugs: but I have to concentrate on Czech for now :yep:
You must know your verbs - yes all the horrible irregular ones and be clear about the precise meanings of all the tenses. They are the ones you use the most.

There is no short cut to learning languages. You keep a vocabulary book where you enter every new word, phrase, plus any peculiarities associated ( masculine and feminine forms of adjectives etc.)

Then you learn them. You say them out loud with the English meaning, being strict about pronunciation. Walking up and down is helpful. People will put you down as a nutter and your mother will complain you are wearing out the carpet but still....So, if you pronounce le car in French like car in English you're on the wrong track- 'ar' is a real killer for the English as are French 'r's and words ending in ' ille'. You practise until you are perfect.

Research tells us you need to repeat the word or phrase about 30 times before you know it. This is more difficult than you imagine as your mind wanders with the shear boredom of it.

Then you cover up the French side of the list and try and guess the English meaning - relatively easy. Those words you get wrong you repeat out loud as above, again. Next you cover up the French side and try and remember from the English what the words are in French with the correct spelling - much more difficult than the other way round. No cheating. NO CHEATING.

Every day you go over any new words you've put down like this PLUS you keep tackling the words you put down before. Plus you must keep revising your verbs. Plus you must keep revising new idioms you've entered in your book. Half an hour every day. Half an hour every day. Half an hour every day. I used to do it on the bus to school and back and get my sister to test me.

You cannot get a good mark or make much progress in a language by doing just last minute revision. The vast majority of your work has been done throughout the year, long before your exam.

I learnt French, German to a low level in a 2 year crash course, Latin, Spanish as well as medieval French etc. I did Spanish A level from scratch in just over 2 months ( with the help of a language lab at the end.) We were all raving lunatics trying to keep up with a machine but we learnt a LOT.

Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by pickup
You must know your verbs - yes all the horrible irregular ones and be clear about the precise meanings of all the tenses. They are the ones you use the most.

There is no short cut to learning languages. You keep a vocabulary book where you enter every new word, phrase, plus any peculiarities associated ( masculine and feminine forms of adjectives etc.)

Then you learn them. You say them out loud with the English meaning, being strict about pronunciation. Walking up and down is helpful. People will put you down as a nutter and your mother will complain you are wearing out the carpet but still....So, if you pronounce le car in French like car in English you're on the wrong track- 'ar' is a real killer for the English as are French 'r's and words ending in ' ille'. You practise until you are perfect.

Research tells us you need to repeat the word or phrase about 30 times before you know it. This is more difficult than you imagine as your mind wanders with the shear boredom of it.

Then you cover up the French side of the list and try and guess the English meaning - relatively easy. Those words you get wrong you repeat out loud as above, again. Next you cover up the French side and try and remember from the English what the words are in French with the correct spelling - much more difficult than the other way round. No cheating. NO CHEATING.

Every day you go over any new words you've put down like this PLUS you keep tackling the words you put down before. Plus you must keep revising your verbs. Plus you must keep revising new idioms you've entered in your book. Half an hour every day. Half an hour every day. Half an hour every day. I used to do it on the bus to school and back and get my sister to test me.

You cannot get a good mark or make much progress in a language by doing just last minute revision. The vast majority of your work has been done throughout the year, long before your exam.

I learnt French, German to a low level in a 2 year crash course, Latin, Spanish as well as medieval French etc. I did Spanish A level from scratch in just over 2 months ( with the help of a language lab at the end.) We were all raving lunatics trying to keep up with a machine but we learnt a LOT.

Good luck

Thank u for all the advice. I ll surely try it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of people thought I were something like 16 lol :lol: not my fault if I'm childish :innocent:

Ça va merci 😽😽 et toi :h: ? Ça fait longtemps ! T'as eu les résultats pour le test de français ?

Ca va bien merci :smile: Oui, ca fait longtemps! Non, malheuresement je n'ai pas mes resultats encore :frown: Aujourd'hui etait 'La Jour Francaise' a mon ecole pour des ecoles primaire et j'ai aide a ce programme. Je suis vraiment fatigue maintennant :closedeyes: Et toi, qu est ce que tu a fait aujourd'hui? :h:
Original post by BhavyaB
Ca va bien merci :smile: Oui, ca fait longtemps! Non, malheuresement je n'ai pas mes resultats encore :frown: Aujourd'hui etait 'La Jour Francaise' a mon ecole pour des ecoles primaire et j'ai aide a ce programme. Je suis vraiment fatigue maintennant :closedeyes: Et toi, qu est ce que tu a fait aujourd'hui? :h:

Je suis sûre que tu as été fabuleuse :hugs: tiens moi au courant !!

Ah c'est sympa ça :biggrin: repose toi maintenant :yep:

Aujourd'hui j'ai fait du shopping avec ma sœur et une copine :3
Je suis sûre que tu as été fabuleuse :hugs: tiens moi au courant !!

Ah c'est sympa ça :biggrin: repose toi maintenant :yep:

Aujourd'hui j'ai fait du shopping avec ma sœur et une copine :3

Bien sur :smile: Merci beacoup- tu es fantastique aussi et une incroyable ami :hugs:J'adore faire du shopping mais c'est necessaire que j'aille a l'ecole(j'adore aller a l'ecole :biggrin:)! Je vais aller dormir maintennant car je prefere dormir un peu tot! Bonne nuit
:hugs:
Original post by BhavyaB
Bien sur :smile: Merci beacoup- tu es fantastique aussi et une incroyable ami :hugs:J'adore faire du shopping mais c'est necessaire que j'aille a l'ecole(j'adore aller a l'ecole :biggrin:)! Je vais aller dormir maintennant car je prefere dormir un peu tot! Bonne nuit
:hugs:

Awww merci :blush:

Bonne nuit, repose toi bien :lovehug:
Original post by ln2u
Anyone speak fluent swedish I need help

No sorry.
Original post by tasha_tah
hey evryone.. im a gcse student who studies french for my gcses. i am currently at a grade A/B but need to get up to a grade A*. i just want to ask how many of u are fluent french speakers or know french or have done french so in the future then maybe i can get tips? or it would just be nice to know some french or someone who knows the french language!! :smile:

I consider myself fluent in French, I have a first class Bachelor degree in it and I lived in France for a time. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by ailashes
I consider myself fluent in French, I have a first class Bachelor degree in it and I lived in France for a time. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending