The Student Room Group

Describing migrants in terms like "waves" is "dangerous, incorrect, and wrong"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oShahpo
Murders... Murders is a great word, we should use it more often.
"A murder of migrants arrives in Heathrow"... Can't see why it could be confusing.

You're thinking of crows. Common mistake.
I dunno if I'd go as far as "dangerous, incorrect, and wrong", but it's a bit dehumanising to treat immigrants as some sort of mass entity rather than the individual people they are.

Politicians and journalists catch a lot of flak for telling people what words they can and can't use, but the words we use to talk and think about people are important. If you hear a certain type of person called a rat enough times, and really get it into your head, you can do practically anything to them.
Reply 42
Original post by oShahpo
It's obvious that a lot of the refugees choose coming here because they have higher chances of having a better future. Yea we should control our migration, but to think that they just want to come here and scrounge on benefits is not true, at least unsubstantiated. Also to say they have no respect for women is even more unsubstantiated. Yea Islam is one of the most sexist ideologies in the world, but you have no idea whether those refugees are orthodox Muslims or normal Muslims.
*and yes there are normal Muslims. My family is Muslim and they don't believe in any of the **** propagated by the Quran, they just believe in a God, who happened to be called Allah because they were born in the Middle East, and they know this*

As soon as they decide to leave a safe country for a better future please refer to them as what they actually are economic migrants.

If we help anyone it should be the people stuck in Syria etc rather than turkey.
Reply 43
Original post by YaliaV
Well, the spree of rapes by Muslims wasn't very politically correct either. Why did no politician speak out against that? Ah, I forgot that censorship and criticism only ever works one way.

One did speak out, in defence of the Muslims involved.

That mp was called Jess Phillips who seems to get upset over no rape rather than rape
Original post by oShahpo
Murders... Murders is a great word, we should use it more often.
"A murder of migrants arrives in Heathrow"... Can't see why it could be confusing.

Isn't murder just the collective noun for crows.
Reply 45
Original post by KingBradly
Maybe you should keep your boring self-righteousness to Tumblr.

Do you prefer a gaggle of bigots?
Original post by oShahpo
I am not saying that, I am just saying it's, at the very least, evil to suggest that those people are coming to Europe with the sole purpose of "milking it". If they had the chance to go to work in an Arab country with a decent GDP, they'd probably do so, but sadly the only countries that do have high GDPs do not accept refugees.

Look to be honest I don't agree with just letting in people to the country just because they made a long journey from where they live "not talking about Syrians or Iraqis whose homes have been brought down by ISIS", but we should be a little more humane than to demand shooting them down.

Yup, that.
Original post by hovado
Do you prefer a gaggle of bigots?

I prefer people who actually use arguments rather than simply trying to discredit them with nasty labels.
Reply 48
Original post by KingBradly
I prefer people who actually use arguments rather than simply trying to discredit them with nasty labels.

:frown: But it's in the spirit of the thread. :frown:
Reply 49
ex pats
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
Another TSR closet-racist gathering thread

you should have one megathread to keep your hateful rants isolated from the rest of the site

What race are they hating? Thanks!

Quite an extremist view wow!

No people have freedom of speech in this country, they can say what they want! Have some respect for basic human rights man, seriously.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by balanced
What race are they hating? Thanks!

Quite an extremist view wow!

No people have freedom of speech in this country, they can say what they want! Have some respect for basic human rights man, seriously.

except this is an online forum and not a country lmfao, the mods can and will remove anything they want if they desired, are you gonna cry to them about democracy then?
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
except this is an online forum and not a country lmfao, the mods can and will remove anything they want if they desired, are you gonna cry to them about democracy then?

No, they just shoot themselves in the foot, it's why most countries have freedom of speech :biggrin:
What's even more dangerous is having enough culturally incompatible migrants that words "waves" are used.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending