The Student Room Group

Harsh truths that you're not afraid to admit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
It's unlikely any academic will read an applicant's personal statement.

whats the point of writing them then
??
I'm probably not going to end up a trillionaire. I'll have to settle for being a billionaire.
Some subjects require them.

Some universities use them for filtering.

Some admissions staff read them.

Sometimes they're used for interviews.

Sometimes they're used to differentiate in confirmation.

The exceptions make them a compulsory part of the application for everyone.

FWIW it's a useful exercise even if they aren't read. If an applicant struggles to express why they want to study a subject then committing to 3+ years isn't likely a good plan....and when it comes to job applications learning to write about your interests, activities and abilities in this way is important.
I can be a little selfish at times, I'm working on it though.

Human ignorance and arrogance will always be our biggest flaws.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
I'm probably not going to end up a trillionaire. I'll have to settle for being a billionaire.

What are you doing to make it happen?
Original post by PQ
It's unlikely any academic will read an applicant's personal statement.

I don't think that's the case, when I got my interview at kent the lecturer had read mine in quite a bit of detail beforehand.
Original post by xobeauty
What are you doing to make it happen?

MAKE it happen? I've already made it happen. I'm worth MANY billions of dollars. I started off in Brooklyn, my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars... and now after using my tremendous brain, I am a billionaire.
MAKE it happen? I've already made it happen. I'm worth MANY billions of dollars. I started off in Brooklyn, my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars... and now after using my tremendous brain, I am a billionaire.

And then you woke up...
i know that religion will never be eradicated, the greatest scourge in history. that and the fact liberals will never understand how the world works :smile:

Hi, Donald.
Original post by Razamataz666
i know that religion will never be eradicated, the greatest scourge in history. that and the fact liberals will never understand how the world works :smile:

That second point - that's not a truth. It's your jaded opinion.
Original post by TercioOfParma
I don't think that's the case, when I got my interview at kent the lecturer had read mine in quite a bit of detail beforehand.

Unlikely <> Never
My diets will never last more than 1 day :frown:
Original post by ivybridge
That second point - that's not a truth. It's your jaded opinion.

some people believe the holocaust never happened, people have their opinions old boy. But when i see that it was liberals who tried to appease in WW1 and 2. when i see it was liberals who did not want to defend the Falklands islands i say to myself - thank god for conservatism.
Original post by InvestmentBankin
You started the thread by dropping the heaviest of the bombs.

Well, how about I add something small and less provocative: I think that religious people, from most denominations, are in fact happier than atheists. I say this as an agnostic. This is a pattern I have observed when interacting with Quakers, Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Modern Orthodox Jews, Methodists, Baptists, Pentecostals and Muslims and etc. Atheists, on the other hand, often seem lost and melancholic, though of course they'll never admit it.

This is true. I think it largely has to do with religious people being a lot more collectivistic, and therefore more tribal in nature, which I think most people are crying out for without realising it. Most atheists and other non-religious people are individualistic, even when it comes to family. They float through life in no particular direction, or with no direction in sight, and try to satisfy their primal longing for tribe by having 'friends' who would disappear at the sound of some gold clattering the floor.

Thats what it feels like for me as an agnostic-atheist compared to myself as a religious young man. I still hang out with those same people without bringing up religion but that bond is missing. Now they feel more like good acquaintances rather than blood-brothers.

Another hard truth: Feminists and feminism give us the impression that women hate to be objectified. This is partially true - for those who are not good looking. Most women would rather have a good looking chap eyeballing her from head to toe.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Unlikely <> Never

Still, I think it is quite likely since I got similar feedback off of lecturers at other unis I put down too.
Given the events of the past couple of days:

STRAIGHT CISGENDER PEOPLE DO NOT A PRIDE DAY/MONTH/YEAR/WHATEVER.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/daveywaveyofficial/videos/10153881384654107/[/video]
Original post by ivybridge
No matter how much progress you make within society, racism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism and general bigotry will never cease to make its loud voices heard.

That is because society is not as progressive or foward thinking as you think it is.
You present yourself as liberal person, but I bet you even look down at people.
Original post by Blue_Mason
That is because society is not as progressive or foward thinking as you think it is.
You present yourself as liberal person, but I bet you even look down at people.

Why is it always necessary, for you to make a dig at me? Legit, step down.

Quick Reply