The Student Room Group

Curious - IBD bonus schedule

Asking on behalf of a friend:
Have all banks switched their Analysts on to the calendar year bonus schedule (Jan-Dec) or are some banks still sticking to the traditional schedule (Jul-Jun) in London? If so does this mean that all first year analysts get a stub bonus?

Another query: in the analyst -> associate promo within the new calendar year schedule would Analyst 3s get a stub in July/August before getting promoted?

Also, if you have any bonus numbers for first year stub/full year it would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
doesnt matter. brexit means all the jobs in the financial sector are going to be shipped away to other countries so id recommend you learning some mandarin or german.
Original post by drogon
doesnt matter. brexit means all the jobs in the financial sector are going to be shipped away to other countries so id recommend you learning some mandarin or german.

Doesn't answer the question tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Doesn't answer the question tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. Im just shocked you of all people dont know that answer lol
Reply 4
Ask it on WSO or Canarywharfan. There aren't many currentoy employed bankers on here.
Original post by Trapz99
Ask it on WSO or Canarywharfan. There aren't many currentoy employed bankers on here.

I guess, cheers for the suggestion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Asking on behalf of a friend:
Have all banks switched their Analysts on to the calendar year bonus schedule (Jan-Dec) or are some banks still sticking to the traditional schedule (Jul-Jun) in London? If so does this mean that all first year analysts get a stub bonus?

Another query: in the analyst -> associate promo within the new calendar year schedule would Analyst 3s get a stub in July/August before getting promoted?

Also, if you have any bonus numbers for first year stub/full year it would be much appreciated.

I was under the impression that CS and JPM paid the traditional schedule? Most Continental bank pay calender year though. GS is also calender now I believe.*

No idea what bonus numbers 1st years get these days. My previous firm usually did *between 30-60%. *Some boutiques I talked to did up to 100% supposedly, but with a fairly low base and I tihnk one or two US shops even maintained salaries at 50k for the entire Analyst stint.
Original post by KLL
I was under the impression that CS and JPM paid the traditional schedule? Most Continental bank pay calender year though. GS is also calender now I believe.*

No idea what bonus numbers 1st years get these days. My previous firm usually did *between 30-60%. *Some boutiques I talked to did up to 100% supposedly, but with a fairly low base and I tihnk one or two US shops even maintained salaries at 50k for the entire Analyst stint.

Thanks a lot for this. I heard a lot of the banks were switching to calendar but wasn't sure so wanted to confirm with people in the thick of things. Will pass the info on.

Ouch, no salary bump? That's tough. Thanks for the ranges as well - really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks a lot for this. I heard a lot of the banks were switching to calendar but wasn't sure so wanted to confirm with people in the thick of things. Will pass the info on.

Ouch, no salary bump? That's tough. Thanks for the ranges as well - really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they were American shops, don't remeber the names. Think Jeffries, HL etc. And mind you, that was 2 or 3 years ago.
* By the way, on stubs, my old firm had grads join throughout the year, and I think the rule was if you joined before September you'd get it paid proportionally (or maybe they'd just round it to half year). Before Q2, you'd maybe be lucky to get the full year. Post September - 0. It was fairly arbitrary though, basically based on performance and how much your team valued you. I heard of cases where folks were in the team for roughlt 3/4 of a year and only got a stub and others got a full year after only joining in Q3.
Original post by KLL
Well they were American shops, don't remeber the names. Think Jeffries, HL etc. And mind you, that was 2 or 3 years ago.
* By the way, on stubs, my old firm had grads join throughout the year, and I think the rule was if you joined before September you'd get it paid proportionally (or maybe they'd just round it to half year). Before Q2, you'd maybe be lucky to get the full year. Post September - 0. It was fairly arbitrary though, basically based on performance and how much your team valued you. I heard of cases where folks were in the team for roughlt 3/4 of a year and only got a stub and others got a full year after only joining in Q3.

Ahh, I see. The reason for the question is my friend was contemplating re-recruiting for full time after converting an internship at a non-BB (SocGen, HSBC etc) so was wondering about the mechanics of all this.
Holy.. A full year bonus with only 1/4 year of work? My god. So how does the promotion schedule work?

Presumably for calendar year:
Analyst 0 (6months)
Analyst 1 (12months)
Analyst 2 (12months)
Analyst 3 (6months)?***
Reply 10
Ahh, I see. The reason for the question is my friend was contemplating re-recruiting for full time after converting an internship at a non-BB (SocGen, HSBC etc) so was wondering about the mechanics of all this.
Holy.. A full year bonus with only 1/4 year of work? My god. So how does the promotion schedule work?

Presumably for calendar year:
Analyst 0 (6months)
Analyst 1 (12months)
Analyst 2 (12months)
Analyst 3 (6months)?***

No idea, was on the buyside already when I got promoted. And was promoted at Bonus time, would imagine its the same at most places who are on a CY cycle.
My ld firm it was,*

June or July start (standard grad scheme): analyst 1 till March (i.e bonus time) and then every year bonus and promotions in March.*
Original post by KLL
No idea, was on the buyside already when I got promoted. And was promoted at Bonus time, would imagine its the same at most places who are on a CY cycle.
My ld firm it was,*

June or July start (standard grad scheme): analyst 1 till March (i.e bonus time) and then every year bonus and promotions in March.*

Fair enough, thanks for the insight nonetheless!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending