The Student Room Group

Ladies, How would you feel if your man got fat?

<<Should state this isn't something personal, just curious as to opinions>>

If you dated a guy that you found attractive then a year into the relationship some dramatic change happened,
(i.e. He got fat, lost all of his hair, needs a wheelchair, hearing aid)

Do you think attraction would disappear?
Would you stay with them?

Suppose this applies to guys too!

Scroll to see replies

I would stay because attraction goes beyond the physical and the things that you listed can be fixed. If he got fat then I would motivate him to join the gym with me and make him eat healthier. If he lost all his hair- I would be really concerned and try and find ways to fix it but then he might also have cancer so that would be really dramatic.
If you truly love the person then you'd stay with them.
Most young people would not stay

I'd stay with him through all of those. Loss of hair could happen as he ages and that's not his fault. Neither would be having to use a wheelchair or get an hearing aid. However, if he got fat purely because of self indulgence and laziness then I'd kick his ass back into shape.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Most young people would not stay

I thought this too. It would be a shame for someone to leave due to these reasons, but I'm not sure you could really argue if they did, as they kind of ended up dating someone that looked so different to when it started?
Reply 6
My boyfriend gained 4 stone over the course of 3 years and is classed as overweight now. It hasn't changed how I feel towards him. The only thing I worry about is that the extra weight will affect his health but he is slowly starting to lose a bit now. I wouldn't ever leave someone for simply gaining weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucarious30
I thought this too. It would be a shame for someone to leave due to these reasons, but I'm not sure you could really argue if they did, as they kind of ended up dating someone that looked so different to when it started?

Trust me, it is quite a common thing.
I am just being honest, and say if my gf became fat, I would leave.
If I am in shape I expect my gf to do her part and be in shape, or ill find another person to be with.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Trust me, it is quite a common thing.
I am just being honest, and say if my gf became fat, I would leave.
If I am in shape I expect my gf to do her part and be in shape, or ill find another person to be with.

Surely that's not love?
Original post by WishfulThinker1
Surely that's not love?

Also if you are with someone you should respect their values, not expect them to automatically accept and follow your values :smile:

If you dated a guy that you found attractive then a year into the relationship some dramatic change happened,

i would stay... cuz i would not fall in love with physical attractions because they are just temporary but finding about who they are and personality is something that would never change... eventually everyone has to get old...
Well considering my weight, I hope my lady's weight remain proportional.

I don't think it really matters though. My big bros and sis are married (5+ years) and they have changed in many ways. Their relationship with the spouse is still strong af.
Original post by WishfulThinker1
Surely that's not love?

But attraction is one of the fundamental parts of a healthy relationship.
Without attraction, you might as well be friends

Depends. Does he need the wheelchair because he is too overweight to walk (through his own fault)? If not, then yes I'd stay with him. If he was just voluntarily eating himself into the grave I'd leave, same as if he was addicted to drugs and refusing help.
These days they'd find a replacement on Blebdr, Grindr etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TaintedLight
My big bro and sis are married (5+ years)

wuuuuut :s-smilie:

I think this is a bigger issue than the one proposed by the OP
Reply 16
Original post by Kieran1996

Not to each other lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Lol at everyone acting like they'd decide rationally whether it was the partners fault before losing attraction to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kieran1996

Lol I can see your confusion :laugh:
Original post by difeo
Not to each other lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TaintedLight
Lol I can see your confusion :laugh:

OHHHH

I just re-read it and I really should have finished reading it :K:

But yeah people can change in so many ways, if you're not willing to accept things in all aspects of life will change then you'll have a fun life

Quick Reply

Latest