The Student Room Group

EU said UK is now a third world country?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Not a lot of use if the unwieldy nature of the EU and the need for consensus mean the EU takes three times longer to make deals.

I agree things take longer within the EU and time is of the essence

As with all things there are always negatives and positives
Reply 21
I don't know, obviously, but we have a steadily growing trade surplus with the non-EU world, despite tariffs, and it is a far bigger market than the EU and growing much faster. The EU actively constrains us from developing better links with it at the moment.

Ok. So the largest contributor to our exports was cars. $46bn worth.

60% of that goes to the EU.

Might make sense for those carmakers to locate their plants IN the EU...

BTW I don't anything like this will happen. We are heading for a Norway deal.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
So the largest contributor to our exports was cars. $46bn worth.

Of course! They could import cars into the UK into the face of a 10% lower pound and a 10% tariff barrier, while spending billions to relocate and giving up the opportunity to increase exports outside the EU on the basis of the lower pound, eh?
Reply 23
Of course! They could import cars into the UK into the face of a 10% lower pound and a 10% tariff barrier, while spending billions to relocate and giving up the opportunity to increase exports outside the EU on the basis of the lower pound, eh?

Those factories are in the UK because they give Honda, Nissan, Toyota, BMW MINI, etc access to the EU market. I'm sure they won't be closed tomorrow, but future investment decisions WILL be affected.
Original post by jneill
Ok. So the largest contributor to our exports was cars. $46bn worth.

BTW I don't anything like this will happen. We are heading for a Norway deal.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think she means after the ~2 years that will take to negotiate the terms of exit from EU and the WTO regulations kick in, then we would enter negotiations for a EU trade deal that could very well take 5 or 6 years.
Reply 25
Original post by Alba2013
I think she means after the ~2 years that will take to negotiate the terms of exit from EU and the WTO regulations kick in, then we would enter negotiations for a EU trade deal that could very well take 5 or 6 years.

She? Theresa May?

I'd hope they negotiate something more than WTO in the coming 2 years. But either way, if it's 2 years or 2+6 years, we'll end up with a Norway-style deal, paid for by all the intervening uncertainty and gaining us very little...
If our country is less appealing to the thousands who flock here, ****ing brilliant! Population of 65 million! Reduce it to 55 million!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
She? Theresa May?

I'd hope they negotiate something more than WTO in the coming 2 years. But either way, if it's 2 years or 2+6 years, we'll end up with a Norway-style deal, paid for by all the intervening uncertainty and gaining us very little...

Sorry, the EU Trade Commissioner is the one who said this third country thing, and she's implying that the ~2 years of negotiations are only about the terms of exit out of the EU, not trade.

"First you exit then you negotiate," Cecilia Malmstrom told BBC Newsnight.

Which potentially means that after exit negotiations, WTO regulations would kick in until a trade agreement is reached with the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222
Original post by jneill
Those factories are in the UK because they give Honda, Nissan, Toyota, BMW MINI, etc access to the EU market. I'm sure they won't be closed tomorrow, but future investment decisions WILL be affected.

Maybe VW Audi and BMW will be driven to opening factories in the UK to avoid the consequences of 10% tariffs in the UK market, and to better access the worldwide market.
Original post by shawn_o1
well it is now 6th richest...

if the EU wants to respond to our "political statement" with "economic damage" then go ahead. At least everything will be cheaper in this country and people won't want to work here :biggrin:

Damage your country and it will surely be less appealing to the world , very nice plan :biggrin: .
Reply 30
Original post by Alba2013
Two things:

It says third country, not third world country.

History is irrelevant to your current situation.

He misquoted the article, it is meant to be 'third world country' not 'third country'
Reply 31
The EU are just panicking because one of their main contributers has actually had the balls to leave what is now a corrupt, pointless organisation.
Original post by ckfeister
" After Brexit, the UK would become a "third country" in EU terms, she said - meaning trade would be carried out based on World Trade Organisation rules until a new deal was complete. "

5th richest economy with rich history is now somehow a third world country???? Does this sound stupid to anyone else?

Errr no you might want to read and understand the article first.

She says a third country and not a third wold country , which means something else. Your thread is ridiculously misleading.
Reply 33
Original post by Crb822
The EU are just panicking because one of their main contributers has actually had the balls to leave what is now a corrupt, pointless organisation.

Lolol... you must be kidding yourself.
Reply 34
Original post by *Stefan*
Lolol... you must be kidding yourself.

Then why are other countries such as Holland considering leaving then?
Reply 35
Original post by 999tigger
Errr no you might want to read and understand the article first.

She says a third country and not a third wold country , which means something else. Your thread is ridiculously misleading.

The articles I've googled suggest it was 'third world country' not third country'
I googled : Britain third country
Top 3 results: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157055/Why-Britain-join-Third-World.html
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/06/02/multicultural-surrender-has-turned-britain-into-a-third-world-country/
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/sep/20/third-world-britain-sartre-mandela
Not a lot of use if the unwieldy nature of the EU and the need for consensus mean the EU takes three times longer to make deals.
there is no need for consensus

decisions in Council with regard to the common trade policy are taken by qualified majority voting, not by unanimity

on many agreements, there is of course the need of approval by the European Parliament (however, just by a simple majority)

this is not at all cumbersome
Reply 37
Original post by Crb822

Just because they are considering it doesn't mean they will.

Although the UK leaving does set an uncomfortable precedent for the others. Which is why the EU won't want to make it easy for the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you being serious? Did you even bother to read the links you posted?
Reply 39
Original post by Crb822

We'll talk about that when they'll have left. And when Britain itself actually leaves without being dragged into making a deal which will change nothing.

Britain is not the British Empire.

Quick Reply

Latest