The Student Room Group

Can I get onto a BA with a certHE

I was thinking of going to do the first year of a four year art course and then leave after the first year to go onto a better uni. Apparently I will get a certificate of higher education for finishing the first year but wondered if this was enough to get into a better uni as I don't have enough a level UCAS points to get into anywhere good this year
Original post by Elfqueen1
I was thinking of going to do the first year of a four year art course and then leave after the first year to go onto a better uni. Apparently I will get a certificate of higher education for finishing the first year but wondered if this was enough to get into a better uni as I don't have enough a level UCAS points to get into anywhere good this year

For art courses grades are generally less important than your portfolio.

Which 4 year course are you looking at? Generally year 1 of a four year art course (for example the courses offered by NUA) won't allow you to be awarded with a CertHE - the credits will be at level 3 or yr 0 level and so not HE level material.

If you go down this route then you will use up your gift year of funding. Usually art applicants who haven't got offers from their preferred universities will do an Art & Design foundation diploma (a level 3/A level qualification that will earn you tariff points to boost your academic profile as well as giving you the time to develop your skills and build up a great portfolio).

I would recommend you contact the universities you are aiming at and asking them directly whether year 1 of this 4 year degree would be a good route to gain admission or whether they would recommend another route for someone in your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest