The Student Room Group

EPQ in a "relevant subject"...?

Looking at Uni entrance for some courses (namely Sheffield), some Uni offers are reduced by a grade providing you have an EPQ in a "relevant subject", usually at grade B.

What does this mean? I did an EPQ this year examining the Troubles in Northern Ireland 1998-present (kinda Politics/History/Sociology) so it doesn't really fit into any subject bracket. Could this count for say applying to do Maths at Uni? Are they bothered about what you study in the EPQ (obviously it's too late for me to change now since it's been submitted!), or is it more the fact that you can balance a dissertation etc alongside your other subjects?

Thanks in advance :smile:
'Relevant subject' basically just means what you're looking to do at uni. For example, I did my EPQ on the rights and responsibilities of medieval women and I'm applying for history. Yours would be relevant to history or politics, but not something like sciences or maths.

And universities do care - I know someone studying Archaeology and Anthropology at uni, and they didn't get the grades they needed. But when they called up the uni they said that because their EPQ was extremely relevant (something to do with pre-history civilisations I think) they got in with much lower grades because it showed they had an interest in the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That just means that your EPQ topic should relate in some way to the degree you want to do. Even if your EPQ topic isn't relevant though, it can still help your application if you make sure to emphasise in your personal statement the benefits of completing it, e.g. developing skills useful for university such as extended essay writing, referencing and public speaking, being able to manage your time effectively etc.
Reply 3
Original post by ElspethC
'Relevant subject' basically just means what you're looking to do at uni. For example, I did my EPQ on the rights and responsibilities of medieval women and I'm applying for history. Yours would be relevant to history or politics, but not something like sciences or maths.

And universities do care - I know someone studying Archaeology and Anthropology at uni, and they didn't get the grades they needed. But when they called up the uni they said that because their EPQ was extremely relevant (something to do with pre-history civilisations I think) they got in with much lower grades because it showed they had an interest in the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Leviathan1741
That just means that your EPQ topic should relate in some way to the degree you want to do. Even if your EPQ topic isn't relevant though, it can still help your application if you make sure to emphasise in your personal statement the benefits of completing it, e.g. developing skills useful for university such as extended essay writing, referencing and public speaking, being able to manage your time effectively etc.

Okay, so basically the consensus is that it probably won't be considered relevant then, but it may help my application if I reapply next year? Feel kinda stupid now but I just decided to do it on something that interested me and had no idea it would reduce a Uni offer (I just thought it could make up UCAS points).

Thanks for your help! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest