The Student Room Group

Putin dares Britain to go through with Brexit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/01/putin-dares-britain-to-go-through-with-brexit/

“We will see how their principles of democracy get realised in practice,” the Russian president said in an apparent expression of doubt that Britain’s political elite would follow through.

Mr Putin’s remarks came after days of discussions among disappointed ‘Remain’ supporters about the possibility of not ever invoking Article 50 proceedings to leave the EU, or signing a Norway-style trade deal that would mean accepting unrestrained EU migration.

Scroll to see replies

Putin is a joker,let's see eh
If Europe tries to screw us we should commit the ultimate sin and lift our blockade on Russia.
Original post by 34908seikj
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/01/putin-dares-britain-to-go-through-with-brexit/

“We will see how their principles of democracy get realised in practice,” the Russian president said in an apparent expression of doubt that Britain’s political elite would follow through.

Mr Putin’s remarks came after days of discussions among disappointed ‘Remain’ supporters about the possibility of not ever invoking Article 50 proceedings to leave the EU, or signing a Norway-style trade deal that would mean accepting unrestrained EU migration.

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks that nobody in Parliament actually has the stones to go through with Brexit?
Lets build a friendship with Russia.
Original post by 34908seikj

Putin talking about democracy, what a comedian
Why do you think they won't do it?
I would die for Russia before I die for Europe anyday. While I wish to stay in the EU, our main ally should be Russia and not Germans
Original post by lolakirk
Why do you think they won't do it?

They haven't taken any action on it thus far and now Gove has come out saying there will be no further EU exit talks this year
Well they are obviously *****ing themselves as none of these clowns actually thought Brexit would happen so they dont know what to do with themselves now. They will definitely go with the result though, a lot of seem seem to have come out and say the decision must be respected blah blah blah (even though they should not, then again the referendum shoud've never happened in the first place), UNLESS there's another referendum when the negotiations have taken place and people decide they dont want it. However the EU says there will be no negotiations until the UK triggers article 50 which is irreversible apparently, so a second referendum isnt a feasible option.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well they are obviously *****ing themselves as none of these clowns actually thought Brexit would happen so they dont know what to do with themselves now. They will definitely go with the result though, a lot of seem seem to have come out and say the decision must be respected blah blah blah (even though they should not, then again the referendum shoud've never happened in the first place), UNLESS there's another referendum when the negotiations have taken place and people decide they dont want it. However the EU says there will be no negotiations until the UK triggers article 50 which is irreversible apparently, so a second referendum isnt a feasible option.

Cameron has confirmed more recently there will be no second referendum despite most of the Remain camp pushing for it. Furthermore I'm not sure the EU will take us back after the nation has (by small margin) voted to Leave. Personally I think there should be another, early, General Election.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Lets build a friendship with Russia.

I would agree.. if they didn't treat LBGT so bad. We're the gayest nation in Europe, they are the most homophobic nation in Europe totally get along.
My hunch is that the UK will probably be forced to accept pretty much everything the EU wants if they want to be in the single market, so Brexit will only really happen on paper.

About David Cameron, he will be gone soon so it doesn't really matter how he imagines things will go at this point.
My hunch is that the UK will probably be forced to accept pretty much everything the EU wants if they want to be in the single market, so Brexit will only really happen on paper.

About David Cameron, he will be gone soon so it doesn't really matter how he imagines things will go at this point.

I agree, although one can remain optimistic about our bargaining power. I just hope May gets in, not Gove.
Original post by Manchester_123
I would die for Russia before I die for Europe anyday. While I wish to stay in the EU, our main ally should be Russia and not Germans

I agree, the Russians have a backbone- something which many European countries lack.
Reply 16
on the flip side dont you think it would be silly to rush it? The referendum is after all not legally binding and we've got at least 2 years of negotiations to go through.
Original post by datboii
on the flip side dont you think it would be silly to rush it? The referendum is after all not legally binding and we've got at least 2 years of negotiations to go through.

That is true but I'm not entirely convinced antagonising the EU by dragging it unnecessarily will work in our best interests when it comes down to negotiating
Reply 18
Interesting. We can only hope that the EU deals with this pragmatically. Thats also why a pro establishment person like May is needed as our PM. Hopefully the EU wont hold grudges against us.
Original post by datboii
Interesting. We can only hope that the EU deals with this pragmatically. Thats also why a pro establishment person like May is needed as our PM. Hopefully the EU wont hold grudges against us.

I agree 100%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending