The Student Room Group

Ladies, How would you feel if your man got fat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
But attraction is one of the fundamental parts of a healthy relationship.
Without attraction, you might as well be friends

My arguement would be, I agree that attraction is fundamental, but we don't get more attractive the older we get, if you were to be with someone for 5-10 years and their hair was thinning with a hint of grey, surely that isn't a valid reason to leave?
Original post by Spock's Socks
My boyfriend gained 4 stone over the course of 3 years and is classed as overweight now. It hasn't changed how I feel towards him. The only thing I worry about is that the extra weight will affect his health but he is slowly starting to lose a bit now. I wouldn't ever leave someone for simply gaining weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This made me happy to read! I'd imagine anyone would feel self conscious gaining so much weight, but it takes a special person to stay with them and say 'Ok, this is how we're going to move forward' :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
depends how fat... if they put on a lot of weight then I'd probably tell them to go and do some exercise or something tbh but if it was just a bit then i wouldn't really mind i guess..
Original post by Lucarious30
My arguement would be, I agree that attraction is fundamental, but we don't get more attractive the older we get, if you were to be with someone for 5-10 years and their hair was thinning with a hint of grey, surely that isn't a valid reason to leave?

If I do not leave then I would likely be tempted to cheat, and it is better to be honest and just leave.
I would just end up being miserable if I stayed.
Your hair should only be greying in your fifties
"Dad-bod":sexface:

If their personality doesn't change, then there's little reason why those things would stop you loving someone.:smile: When you really love somebody, I think that you just love their existence, in whatever form that that may take.
Depends. If they got a bit fat they can always be motivated to loose it. Why are they in a wheel chair tho? If it's bc they're too fat BYE bc they brought that upon their self. Hearing aid isn't really a problem. The combination of no hair and becoming fat though could have an affect on physical attraction. However all these factors depend on how long we have been in a relationship. If they happened gradually I don't think it would be a problem, for example it's natural to lose hair as you get older. However if we were in a relationship for like a year or two and all of this started happening I'd probably leave.
Loss of hair? Well bimey some of you aren't gonna be in relationships all your life are you.
Original post by Inexorably
Loss of hair? Well bimey some of you aren't gonna be in relationships all your life are you.

They're young so they have a different understanding of a relationship
Let's be honest for a change people. If your man got fat balding ugly hairy etc you would not stay with him. Have some conviction and backbone for a change and admit it. If my hypothetical girlfriend totally let herself go, started gorging like a pig every meal, became fat hairy ugly lazy etc I would have no problem at all in ending things. It may not be the popular or right on thing to say but you know what I don't care and never have ha
Original post by Lucarious30
<<Should state this isn't something personal, just curious as to opinions>>

If you dated a guy that you found attractive then a year into the relationship some dramatic change happened,
(i.e. He got fat, lost all of his hair, needs a wheelchair, hearing aid)

Do you think attraction would disappear?
Would you stay with them?

Suppose this applies to guys too!

It would depend on what brought me to him in the first place
I'd stay and offer them support*
If they refuse to change their ways then i would probably leave*
Chubby is cuddly! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Original post by Cocopops121
Chubby is cuddly! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

My thoughts exactly!
Although I feel I have a biased opinion as someone that likes curvy people aha
We can be fat together lol

But seriously I'd still stay with him. If he's happy with the way I look then I shouldn't complain about him. Anyway things you've mentioned like needing a hearing aid wouldn't put me off, my best friend wears a hearing aid and it doesn't stop me from being friends with her.
(edited 7 years ago)
Great.

Free hog roast.
Original post by queen-bee
I'd stay and offer them support*
If they refuse to change their ways then i would probably leave*

You're either going to be FA or have a lot of problems. It will be one or the other though
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
You're either going to be FA or have a lot of problems. It will be one or the other though

why? The whole reason to stay is to support them in losing weight and obviously if they refuse then just leave them be and move on*
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
We can be fat together lol

But seriously I'd still stay with him. If he's happy with the way I look then I shouldn't complain about him. Anyway things you've mentioned like needing a hearing aid wouldn't put me off, my best friend wears a hearing aid and it doesn't stop me from being friends with her.

I don't know a great deal about what it's like to have a hearing aid, but it's a shame that some people wouldn't want to pursue something like that just because it's classed as a disabilty.
Original post by neal95
Let's be honest for a change people. If your man got fat balding ugly hairy etc you would not stay with him. Have some conviction and backbone for a change and admit it. If my hypothetical girlfriend totally let herself go, started gorging like a pig every meal, became fat hairy ugly lazy etc I would have no problem at all in ending things. It may not be the popular or right on thing to say but you know what I don't care and never have ha

This is true.. though the responses have been interesting i think most people wouldn't admit to leaving their partners so they dont sound shallow

Original post by queen-bee
why? The whole reason to stay is to support them in losing weight and obviously if they refuse then just leave them be and move on*

What is so wrong with being someone because they like being fat?

If your other half gets unattractive when with them then you must still like them? i know you arent married, but you cant just hop off and hop on relationships surely
Original post by WishfulThinker1
This is true.. though the responses have been interesting i think most people wouldn't admit to leaving their partners so they dont sound shallow

What is so wrong with being someone because they like being fat?

If your other half gets unattractive when with them then you must still like them? i know you arent married, but you cant just hop off and hop on relationships surely

you're just basically repeating the point I was trying to make*

Quick Reply

Latest