The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinpeaks
Where's your office based?

I'm not in for tit for tat, just message me? I'd rather feel better about the situation, so if you have valid points I'll be happy to hear.

We are based in the city and as I said you are more than welcome to come in and meet us but so far all I have seen from you is claims of me being uneducated and unable to back up my views or understand economics so you have nothing to lose by coming in if I am supposedly clueless.

I'm not interested in private messages back and forth with a faceless person hiding behind a screen, we aren't going to jump you or attack you and I enjoy a good debate as much as anyone so back yourself up and come in it's really that simple and given your earlier response where you are so sure I'm wrong and do not have any understanding you therefore have nothing to worry about.

Otherwise it will appear you are just a troll who attacks people online because I am calling you out right now and giving you a chance to back up your claims yet strangely for being so outspoken earlier you are suddenly backing away.
Original post by JordanL_
Because 1. when an EU immigrant gets treatment on the NHS, their government pays.

2. EU immigrant contribute 34% more to the economy than they take in welfare and services. They more than cover their own costs, and cover the costs of the rest of our society too, since British natives are a net receiver.

The Tories are going to make cuts whether we're in the EU or not. That's our elected government, it has absolutely nothing to do with the EU or immigrants.

The difference is, when EU immigrants are making a net contribution of 34%, we actually have the money to put into the NHS if we elect a better government.

This is the old mistake. Looking at our economy as a whole does not give a realistic picture.

If you actually take a look at what some economists are saying, those who look at the problem more deeply, then immigration is in fact economically catastrophic on the ground. Services and benefits are all one side of the argument and that one is trickier because it's hard to get all of the relevant facts and figures. I did say facts there because it's not all about figures, sometimes it comes down to more than just money.

Where immigration is absolutely undeniably crushing is when it comes to housing. Mass immigration has tipped the balance massively between supply and demand. It has been the driver to skyrocketing house prices. Houses are now starting to cost more than people will make in their life time. When it comes to affording security, on the ground people are many times poorer in that respect. There's a huge divide in wealth growing between those with land and those without. A significant amount more people are not renting instead of buying houses. The prospects for around half of the current and next one or two generations are extremely bleak where as the prospects for the other half are very good.

Before mass immigration housing was much more affordable. People could achieve it while still young and have security. Young voters are complaining, so are immigrants but they are new and don't understand how bad they have it now. They might have their iPhones and toys, but many of them will never have housing security.

I'm genuinely a bit depressed by this whole affair on many fronts. Although actually, UK politics has only depressed me moderately and while I expected stocks to drop massively, I am pleasantly surprised that the economic market has not overreacted to nearly the extent I thought they might. It's really the people still going on with their worship of immigration histrionics and the EU's overreaction that is giving me great anxiety and depression.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Desi123
Disgusting. :rolleyes: I'm glad I didn't know anyone at my university like this. Agree 100% with the poster who told you to get a grip. Do one. :h: See above. :rofl:

Harsh words
Original post by StopCrying
We are based in the city and as I said you are more than welcome to come in and meet us but so far all I have seen from you is claims of me being uneducated and unable to back up my views or understand economics so you have nothing to lose by coming in if I am supposedly clueless.

I'm not interested in private messages back and forth with a faceless person hiding behind a screen, we aren't going to jump you or attack you and I enjoy a good debate as much as anyone so back yourself up and come in it's really that simple and given your earlier response where you are so sure I'm wrong and do not have any understanding you therefore have nothing to worry about.

Otherwise it will appear you are just a troll who attacks people online because I am calling you out right now and giving you a chance to back up your claims yet strangely for being so outspoken earlier you are suddenly backing away.

Why should I take a 4/5 hour journey to London when you can clearly tell me online?

You are just coming across as completely dishonest. You don't even tell me your company.

I'm not the one claiming to be an economist, so what claims do I have to back up? The only claim I made was in regards to a majority of economists expressing strong concern for Brexit. You cannot deny that is the case, because it is. Most of the economists that have voiced opinions concerning Brexit, think it is not a good idea.

What other "claims" do I have to back up?

You know what I think? I think you are completely and utterly full of bull ****. I've provided you with multiple opportunities to tell me why this may benefit our economy. I'm asking for answers. I've asked numerous people who voted leave to provide these answers. And I've yet to hear one.

So you back up your claims. As far as I'm concerned, I've nothing to back up.
Original post by Desi123

Why is she being disgusting? I'm not being dense here, genuine question. She's entitled to say what she wants just as much as anyone else is.
Why should I take a 4/5 hour journey to London when you can clearly tell me online?

You are just coming across as completely dishonest. You don't even tell me your company.

I'm not the one claiming to be an economist, so what claims do I have to back up? The only claim I made was in regards to a majority of economists expressing strong concern for Brexit. You cannot deny that is the case, because it is. Most of the economists that have voiced opinions concerning Brexit, think it is not a good idea.

What other "claims" do I have to back up?

You know what I think? I think you are completely and utterly full of bull ****. I've provided you with multiple opportunities to tell me why this may benefit our economy. I'm asking for answers. I've asked numerous people who voted leave to provide these answers. And I've yet to hear one.

So you back up your claims. As far as I'm concerned, I've nothing to back up.

Lol you're simply a little troll you sprouted your crap about your views and how dumb everyone is compared to you and then when I call you out and invite you to come in and chat you suddenly cower like a little scared dog because you realise you're talking crap.

I'm not looking to argue back and forth online you say I am full of crap yet I tell you to private message me to arrange a meeting with myself and my team and funnily enough I get no reply and that's because you're a scared little troll who only feels safe berating people from behind his computer screen. People like you are pathetic and disgust me so if you can't get out from behind that screen then why would I waste my time messaging an utter moron like you because you only have to check your post history to see that 99% of your posts are you insulting others. Hopefully mummy and daddy chuck you out of the basement you dwell in and maybe some forced social interaction will teach you not to be such a little twerp but until then don't come to London cause we crush little kids like you who think they know it all when they have zero life experience.

Not to mention the reason you won't come in is because your one argument to present to a team of economists, traders, portfolio managers and risk personnel is simply "I read articles where they say it's not good" lol utterly pathetic.

You have been called out on your utter crap now go run along and troll someone else because I have no more time to waste on you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Np. Her posts are classist, and she's also desperately trying to push her whole "poor, uneducated" stereotype onto StopCrying.
Okay, stupid question, of course you do.

I've felt so down all day because of this, and just have this constant sick feeling in my stomach. I genuinely feel like I'm grieving.

I feel like I'm grieving for our growing economy (slow but steady).

I'm grieving for our loss of cultural enrichment. If we weren't a part of the EU I'd never have met people from the likes France, Norway, Germany, who have so much to offer to our country. We have so much to gain from these cultures.

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

I just feel so disgusted and sickened that we chose to make these people unwelcome. These who have such much to contribute to us.

I feel genuinely depressed about this. Can anyone who voted Stay shine a light on this for me please. And anyone who voted Leave, **** off, you should be made to pick up the pieces.

Move on
Original post by Desi123
Np. Her posts are classist, and she's also desperately trying to push her whole "poor, uneducated" stereotype onto StopCrying.

Can one really be classist against their own socioeconomic group though? I'm not denying that she is being quite presumptious and making a lot of assumptions but she is working class herself.
Yes, the same way some women are sexist towards their own gender :yep:
twinpeaks just comes across as a total tool who makes assumptions about someone, she was so quick to call me out yet when suddenly she is invited to come in for a chat she cowers away. She's a troll who probably never gets out from behind the computer screen. Social class or education does not come into it at all it's the fact she lacks any form of respect for others as you only need to check her post history to see that most of them are her insulting others.
Lol you're simply a little troll you sprouted your crap about your views and how dumb everyone is compared to you and then when I call you out and invite you to come in and chat you suddenly cower like a little scared dog because you realise you're talking crap.

I'm not looking to argue back and forth online you say I am full of crap yet I tell you to private message me to arrange a meeting with myself and my team and funnily enough I get no reply and that's because you're a scared little troll who only feels safe berating people from behind his computer screen. People like you are pathetic and disgust me so if you can't get out from behind that screen then why would I waste my time messaging an utter moron like you because you only have to check your post history to see that 99% of your posts are you insulting others. Hopefully mummy and daddy chuck you out of the basement you dwell in and maybe some forced social interaction will teach you not to be such a little twerp but until then don't come to London cause we crush little kids like you who think they know it all when they have zero life experience.

Not to mention the reason you won't come in is because your one argument to present to a team of economists, traders, portfolio managers and risk personnel is simply "I read articles where they say it's not good" lol utterly pathetic.

You have been called out on your utter crap now go run along and troll someone else because I have no more time to waste on you.

I'll message you now then sweet heart. My sister lives in London and I'm seeing her at some point in the summer so put your money where your mouth is.

I'll message you now.
Original post by Desi123

Why haven't you replied to my post?
I'll message you now then sweet heart. My sister lives in London and I'm seeing her at some point in the summer so put your money where your mouth is.

I'll message you now.

Done, though I am betting this turns into "I'm not available in London until a months time" and as for money in my mouth well "sweetheart" I don't think that you could quite afford that wager with me.
Done, though I am betting this turns into "I'm not available in London until a months time" and as for money in my mouth well "sweetheart" I don't think that you could quite afford that wager with me.

I sense the beginnings of a beautiful relationship.
Original post by Desi123

Ummm maybe but comparing gender and social class isn't the same, is it? One is an irrefutable unchangeable biological characteristic and the other is as malleable as the amount of money you bring in, which can fluctuate a lot over the course of a lifetime

twinpeaks just comes across as a total tool who makes assumptions about someone, she was so quick to call me out yet when suddenly she is invited to come in for a chat she cowers away. She's a troll who probably never gets out from behind the computer screen. Social class or education does not come into it at all it's the fact she lacks any form of respect for others as you only need to check her post history to see that most of them are her insulting others.

I'm not denying that she has a habit of making assumptions about people but I don't think she's a troll. Check out my conversation with her on my profile, she actually apologises. Trolls don't do that.
I sense the beginnings of a beautiful relationship.

For your sake I hope so cause the last thing you want is a bad name in the city and the latest email doing the rounds being the girl who presented articles to back up her claims.
For your sake I hope so cause the last thing you want is a bad name in the city and the latest email doing the rounds being the girl who presented articles to back up her claims.

I don't think I'll ever work in the city in my life. Although let's hope you don't suffer the email rounds. You know, "that guy" who met with a crazy Welsh girl off of an Internet forum over a petty debate regarding Brexit :redface:
I don't think I'll ever work in the city in my life. Although let's hope you don't suffer the email rounds. You know, "that guy" who met with a crazy Welsh girl off of an Internet forum over a petty debate regarding Brexit :redface:

Ha I can tell you now that my colleagues are aware of this thread and find the thought hilarious of watching your only aguement being "I read a few articles of economists saying that it's bad" we have students in all the time for debates and to discuss points and even run a program to allow that so this is nothing new for us though I suspect they actually come with a bit more preparation and knowledge.