The Student Room Group

What to learn in the Summer for CompSci

Hi

What online courses would be short and a good intro into the CompSci degree?

I have thought of:

Intro to CS50X
Python the Hard Way

any more?
How do you guys go about learning this, pen and paper or more watch and observe?
Reply 1
+1
for me i will learn the a level computing by myself.
Original post by y1999zk
+1
for me i will learn the a level computing by myself.

That's not necessary. Just do some coding online (i.e. Codecademy) or take a coursera/edx course in something you find interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
That's not necessary. Just do some coding online (i.e. Codecademy) or take a coursera/edx course in something you find interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking about both looking through some of the A Level computing course and an edx course because I think the A Level course (which you probably know about more than me) will cover more of what you should know prerequisite for uni and has progression so you do not encounter a problem which you can't do. I know it's stupid but I'm kinda scared of just getting stuck into programming by myself incase I miss out something important along the way which I should know for my uni course. Any advice?
Original post by Xabier
I was thinking about both looking through some of the A Level computing course and an edx course because I think the A Level course (which you probably know about more than me) will cover more of what you should know prerequisite for uni and has progression so you do not encounter a problem which you can't do. I know it's stupid but I'm kinda scared of just getting stuck into programming by myself incase I miss out something important along the way which I should know for my uni course. Any advice?

The a level course honestly doesn't help with uni level CS, I don't know a single uni that requires it ergo they don't put much stock in its importance.

Getting up to speed with a programming language and maybe doing a course on algos and data structures is enough prep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
The a level course honestly doesn't help with uni level CS, I don't know a single uni that requires it ergo they don't put much stock in its importance.

Getting up to speed with a programming language and maybe doing a course on algos and data structures is enough prep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, unsure if your the right person to ask or not as I don't know your background so I apologise if my post is completely irrelevant :-/

I am starting a physics degree in September and have been told learning basic coding could aid in the long run and its eventually used to work out higher level calculations.

I cant completely priorities coding over the summer as I want to learn some ODE and matrix for maths prep. My questions is would taking the CS50x course be optimal in terms of teaching me basic level of coding, if I were to try to complete it before staring in September/October would it take up most of my time?

Or would I be better off just trying to go through as much of the codeacademy python course while learning maths and physics, as the cs50x course seems rather intensive and very heavy on independent study, which I am all for but it requires more time.

Thank you for any help!
Most unis teach java, so learn that.

Also, learn some of the basic algorithms (quick sort, dijkstra's algorithm, basically D1), they're very very useful.
Python and java

Posted from TSR Mobile
write some programs and implement some algorithms
Original post by philo-jitsu
Hi, unsure if your the right person to ask or not as I don't know your background so I apologise if my post is completely irrelevant :-/

I am starting a physics degree in September and have been told learning basic coding could aid in the long run and its eventually used to work out higher level calculations.

I cant completely priorities coding over the summer as I want to learn some ODE and matrix for maths prep. My questions is would taking the CS50x course be optimal in terms of teaching me basic level of coding, if I were to try to complete it before staring in September/October would it take up most of my time?

Or would I be better off just trying to go through as much of the codeacademy python course while learning maths and physics, as the cs50x course seems rather intensive and very heavy on independent study, which I am all for but it requires more time.

Thank you for any help!

Go on YouTube and search for thenewboston, he's pretty good and funny. Makes complex stuff super easy. For physics degree I recommend learning Python. cs50 is more of comp sci theory than programming which you don't really need to know (but still good if you're keen)

Posted from my phone, excuse my typo's

Quick Reply

Latest