The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

will a B in a statistics A-level module affect my application

hi, i have all a*s at gcse and if i achieve all a's in my exams, will it likely affect my application if i achieve a b in s2 say?
If you have an A overall in maths AS then probably not, maybe if your degree is maths, or like econ & maths, or stats with finance, then it may get affected. I got a B in stats, a D in mechanics but i got an A in AS overall for further maths and maths. They don't ask you what your ums was for each module unless it's those degrees that i mentioned, however if you get above 90ums in c1/c2 i recommend you write it maybe in your reference somewhere.
I'm an offer holder.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Can also reiterate what poster above said. Individual UMS marks are not requested by LSE admissions. You will need a minimum of a grade A at AS level to have a realistic chance at getting an offer though. I am assuming you are looking at a quantitative degree at LSE. If so, I would also suggest for you to consider taking Further Mathematics to at least AS level. It will greatly aid your application! Just to note, just finished studying a quant degree at LSE - I had a B grade at one of the S1/S2 modules but achieved A overall at AS level. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by negin1347
If you have an A overall in maths AS then probably not, maybe if your degree is maths, or like econ & maths, or stats with finance, then it may get affected. I got a B in stats, a D in mechanics but i got an A in AS overall for further maths and maths. They don't ask you what your ums was for each module unless it's those degrees that i mentioned, however if you get above 90ums in c1/c2 i recommend you write it maybe in your reference somewhere.
I'm an offer holder.

are you an offer holder for economics? i plan on doing economics so do you think it will affect it? also i took the full maths alevel (as and a2) this year aswell as s2 so if i get an a* in maths will a bad s2 result matter?
Original post by DarkPeople
Can also reiterate what poster above said. Individual UMS marks are not requested by LSE admissions. You will need a minimum of a grade A at AS level to have a realistic chance at getting an offer though. I am assuming you are looking at a quantitative degree at LSE. If so, I would also suggest for you to consider taking Further Mathematics to at least AS level. It will greatly aid your application! Just to note, just finished studying a quant degree at LSE - I had a B grade at one of the S1/S2 modules but achieved A overall at AS level. Good luck.

thanks :smile: im taking maths early so will an a* make my application advantageous?
Reply 5
Original post by james1221212
hi, i have all a*s at gcse and if i achieve all a's in my exams, will it likely affect my application if i achieve a b in s2 say?

I wouldn't've thought so, as B is still a really good grade at A level.
Remember, courses have a minimum amount of UCAS points, you need to get in. At the top top unis, you tend to need AAB at A level, but most have lower standards than this, and the best, in my opinion, decide if they like you on interview, making it less about your grades, but more about your passion for the subject!
thanks :smile: im taking maths early so will an a* make my application advantageous?

Of course! Lol. I mean A* is the best you can achieve at A2. Just note, LSE hold massive weight also on the personal statement - so make sure it is 100% when you submit your UCAS application.
are you an offer holder for economics? i plan on doing economics so do you think it will affect it? also i took the full maths alevel (as and a2) this year aswell as s2 so if i get an a* in maths will a bad s2 result matter?

I'm a management offer holder. Economics is quite a competitive course so you might want to email the admissions to see if they need your ums for individual modules. However, I don't think a B in s2 will really affect yoir application, especially if you got A* overall. Someone from my school applied with 3A*and an A for economics and maths, and she even got like above 90 in all maths modules, but she didn't get an offer. Lse can be a bit unpredictable, I don't know anyone who deserved an lse offer more than her, but they said that her personal statement wasn't as strong as the other candidates. So make sure yours is, if you want I can inbox you a list of tips for getting into lse.
Original post by negin1347
I'm a management offer holder. Economics is quite a competitive course so you might want to email the admissions to see if they need your ums for individual modules. However, I don't think a B in s2 will really affect yoir application, especially if you got A* overall. Someone from my school applied with 3A*and an A for economics and maths, and she even got like above 90 in all maths modules, but she didn't get an offer. Lse can be a bit unpredictable, I don't know anyone who deserved an lse offer more than her, but they said that her personal statement wasn't as strong as the other candidates. So make sure yours is, if you want I can inbox you a list of tips for getting into lse.

please, that would be much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending