The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

1st Year English Literature student ready to answer questions!

Hey,
I have just finished my first year at Sussex Uni studying BA English Lit. If anyone has any questions about the course, accommodation, what its like at Sussex ect... I'd be happy to answer any questions/ give any advice :smile:
Gemma

Scroll to see replies

Hi, thank you for creating this thread. I'm considering Sussex for English Literature (2017 entry) but am still undecided because there's so many incredible courses. How have you found living in Brighton? Is it expensive and do you find there's enough to do in terms of the Arts? Also, how's the accommodation and campus life in general? The course looks amazing but to put it simply the only thing holding me back is other universities such as Lancaster which also have great courses. Where else did you apply and why did you choose Sussex over them?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm so undecided haha, thanks in advance for any information :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by gemmaprince
Hey,
I have just finished my first year at Sussex Uni studying BA English Lit. If anyone has any questions about the course, accommodation, what its like at Sussex ect... I'd be happy to answer any questions/ give any advice :smile:
Gemma

hi, what is the course of English lit about?
Hey,
Gemma

How many books did you have to read a week? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
McDonald's or Burger King?
Reply 5
Original post by x-bhakti-patel
hi, what is the course of English lit about?

Hey! Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean in general like an overview of the course? If the 2016 English 1st year is the same as mine in your course should consist of 2 core modules you have to take in 1st term (Texts in Time 1 and Critical Approaches 1) then 2 modules of your choice. The second half of the year has the same layout, 2 core modules (Texts in Time 2 and Critical Approaches 2) then 2 modules of your choice. You are likely to have exams for both Texts in Time 1 and 2 but possibly no exams for Critical Approaches 1 or 2.

In the Texts in Time modules, you look at literature throughout history from medieval literature such as Jonathan Swift to more contemporary texts such as the Wasteland. This module is probably most similar to what you did at A-Level, analysing texts, close reading ect... In your seminar classes you will discuss a book each week (usually not too long) as well as secondary reading that you are expected to read each week. I'd recommend reading some of the texts over summer if you can, as reading them within the week can get a bit stressful especially if you have other work to do.

Critical Approaches I would say it more philosophical and analytical. You learn about how to interpret a text by looking at theorists and learn about their ideas and how you can apply their thoughts when looking at literature. These modules are quite tricky so I would again recommend you to buy the core text for this module (The Norton Anthology of English Lit) if you are taking Critical Approaches before the course begins so you can get an idea of what the module will consist of. You may also have secondary reading for these modules but the majority of the texts for this module are in the Norton.

I hope that helped a bit, if not you're welcome to drop me another message :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by GapYearMedic
McDonald's or Burger King?

McDonalds for sure
Reply 7
Original post by emsybearboho
How many books did you have to read a week? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey it depends on what other modules you take as well as your core modules. For one of the core modules, Texts in Time, you usually have to read a book per week plus secondary material your tutor will tell you about. For Critical Approaches it is usually one essay from the core text and possibly secondary reading too. Definitely try and find the reading list for the course before it starts if you can and try to make a start. Reading them last minute can be pretty stressful, if you read them before its a lot less work.

Hope that helped! xx
McDonalds for sure

Might even make pizza express if you get a first
Reply 9
Original post by ErinEloise
Hi, thank you for creating this thread. I'm considering Sussex for English Literature (2017 entry) but am still undecided because there's so many incredible courses. How have you found living in Brighton? Is it expensive and do you find there's enough to do in terms of the Arts? Also, how's the accommodation and campus life in general? The course looks amazing but to put it simply the only thing holding me back is other universities such as Lancaster which also have great courses. Where else did you apply and why did you choose Sussex over them?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm so undecided haha, thanks in advance for any information :smile:

Hey! I'll just begin with saying that although I did come to Sussex through clearing as my remark came last for my A-Level English (I applied to Birmingham, Leeds, UEA and Liverpool) I've actually had such a fab time and the course honestly surprised me as did the Uni.

Brighton is a great place to live! As a Londoner I love how close it is to my home town but just far enough to have a very different vibe. There's so many galleries, plays and music events going on all the time that you won't be bored. Brighton is a pretty artsy city you will find things to do you just have to look around :smile:

In terms of accommodation, which ones have you looked at? I lived in East Slope and although it was very sociable and pretty cheap if you're looking for a bargain, not the best facilities if Im honest haha. But being so close to East slope Bar was certainly a perk and being so central to everything, Sussex is very much a campus uni. If you're willing to spend more Swanbough is central and really nice! you get your own bathroom and its pretty modern. Don't know much about the House (Park Houses, Kent House, Essex ect..) so I can't advise you there but everyone I know that lived there found it alright. Brighthelm are like little houses and are also pretty cool and central. Northfields is probably as nice as Swanborough but is a bit of a trek to get to. Its further away than most of the accommodation. Stanmer court is completely away from all the accommodation so I wouldn't recommend living there if you want to be more in the centre of campus. Although you get your own bathroom its also a bit of a trek. Stanmer Court is also nice and I heard alright things about Park Village although it doesn't have the best facilities.

Hope that Helped! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by GapYearMedic
Might even make pizza express if you get a first

If only! aha
Thank you, that's really helpful! I haven't put too much thought into what accommodation to apply for because I've mainly been exploring different courses.

Brighton seems like a perfect place to live, especially as a student so if I get it it'll most likely be my first choice.

I can't think of any other questions right now but if anything comes up I'll be sure to ask. Thanks again for the wonderfully detailed response :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by ErinEloise
Thank you, that's really helpful! I haven't put too much thought into what accommodation to apply for because I've mainly been exploring different courses.

Brighton seems like a perfect place to live, especially as a student so if I get it it'll most likely be my first choice.

I can't think of any other questions right now but if anything comes up I'll be sure to ask. Thanks again for the wonderfully detailed response :biggrin:

No problem! Let me know if you do! Hopefully see you around in September! Good Luck! xx
How's the accommodation at Sussex?
What grades did you need (you said you got in through clearing, but what were the grades you would have needed if you'd applied there first?), and what grades did you get?
Reply 15
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
How's the accommodation at Sussex?

Hey I think it depends on how much you want to spend and which you pick, there's a lot of different options. I don't know about all the accommodations but I can give you some brief info on the ones I do:

- East Slope (I lived here): pros- cheap, sociable central and near the bar. cons- not the best facilities, not many bathrooms between people (one bathroom to 8 in my flat).
- Swanborough: pros- modern, ensuite, spacious. cons- pricey
- Park Village: pros- cheap and central cons- apparently the facilities aren't great and its a bit grim.
-Stanmer Court: pros- ensuite and quiet (if thats what you want). cons- away from all the other accommodation.
- Northfield: pros- modern, ensuite, nice. cons- a bit of a trek from the centre of campus.
-Stanmer Court pros- social (depending on which part), mixture of ensuite and shared bathrooms, not the best but not the worst. cons- depends where you are.
- Brighthelm: pros- cool layout (like you're living in a house), not too many people per house (I think its 5 or 6 but Im not sure) cons- haven't heard any.

These are the only ones I have a bit of knowledge about there is also Kent House, Essex House and a few others that I don't remember but there's a variety and all of them are different.

Hope that helped!
Reply 16
Original post by Mactotaur
What grades did you need (you said you got in through clearing, but what were the grades you would have needed if you'd applied there first?), and what grades did you get?

Through clearing (from what I remember) I think it was either ABB or BBB and I got AAC. I think in general you need AAA/ AAB to do English not through clearing.

Hope that clarified things :smile:
Hey! Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean in general like an overview of the course? If the 2016 English 1st year is the same as mine in your course should consist of 2 core modules you have to take in 1st term (Texts in Time 1 and Critical Approaches 1) then 2 modules of your choice. The second half of the year has the same layout, 2 core modules (Texts in Time 2 and Critical Approaches 2) then 2 modules of your choice. You are likely to have exams for both Texts in Time 1 and 2 but possibly no exams for Critical Approaches 1 or 2.

In the Texts in Time modules, you look at literature throughout history from medieval literature such as Jonathan Swift to more contemporary texts such as the Wasteland. This module is probably most similar to what you did at A-Level, analysing texts, close reading ect... In your seminar classes you will discuss a book each week (usually not too long) as well as secondary reading that you are expected to read each week. I'd recommend reading some of the texts over summer if you can, as reading them within the week can get a bit stressful especially if you have other work to do.

Critical Approaches I would say it more philosophical and analytical. You learn about how to interpret a text by looking at theorists and learn about their ideas and how you can apply their thoughts when looking at literature. These modules are quite tricky so I would again recommend you to buy the core text for this module (The Norton Anthology of English Lit) if you are taking Critical Approaches before the course begins so you can get an idea of what the module will consist of. You may also have secondary reading for these modules but the majority of the texts for this module are in the Norton.

I hope that helped a bit, if not you're welcome to drop me another message :smile:

thanks for ur advice, it helped a lot :smile:
What books would you suggest to read this summer before starting?
Reply 19
Hi! I'm not sure what the reading list is for this year but if you want an idea of what sort of texts you might be studying from September, it might be a good idea to check out last years list.

Here is a link to it:
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/english/internal/forstudents/firstyearreading

Although these may not be the texts you study (although some of these texts were also studied in 2014/15) it might be a good idea to read some of these anyway. In general I would recommend you to read books from different time periods (such as the 16th century ect...) like Chaucer, or texts from periods you are unfamiliar or struggle with as during first year you read and study literature from a wide range of periods. It is a good idea to familiar yourself with the language of earlier texts, and even if this does not come up its good to have read some medieval literature anyway before you get to Sussex.

Hope that was helpful if not you're welcome to message me back :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending