The Student Room Group

Failed last year of university

So i've failed 65 credits and have graduated with a diploma which i don't know what this means.

It says I've failed but i'm graduated with a diploma. Anyone know what this means?

Also is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Reply 1
is it a diploma of higher education you've been given?

I believe you can transfer your credits to the Open University and top it up to get a full degree if you are unable to retake your third year at uni. Speak to your course team to ask them about it. *
Reply 2
Based on my understanding (I could be wrong, so apologies if I'm corrected), a Diploma of HE is usually awarded for 240 credits, essentially Y1 and Y2 of a degree course. It looks like you didn't garner enough module credits to warrant neither an honours or ordinary degree but have enough to graduate with a lesser qualification (the DipHE).

I would have thought your results would state whether or not you have been given a referral (resit opportunity) for those credits. Probably best to clarify with the university, otherwise there is always the OU, as Jenx301 has suggested.
Original post by Jenx301
is it a diploma of higher education you've been given?

I believe you can transfer your credits to the Open University and top it up to get a full degree if you are unable to retake your third year at uni. Speak to your course team to ask them about it. *

Hey, i assume its a diploma of high education as i'm at university and don't know of any other diplomas i could have been given.

What is open university? is it an actual university?

I've emailed my tutor yesterday but have had nor reply so just eagerly waiting now :/
Reply 4
Original post by justdateriguy
So i've failed 65 credits and have graduated with a diploma which i don't know what this means.

It says I've failed but i'm graduated with a diploma. Anyone know what this means?

Also is there anything I can do?

Thanks

As above, you've been awarded a Diploma of Higher Edication (DipHE) which shows that you have completed two years of uni-level education successfully. You have failed your third year so badly that your uni has decided not to offer you the opportunity to resit coursework/exams or to retake the entire year. At 120 credits per year, you failed over half of your third year, which is pretty significant. Your uni must believe that you are not capable of passing your third year.

A DipHE is a stand-alone qualificaton which isn't designed to be "topped up" to a full degree when offered by a brick university. I doubt you can do anything about it, but it is worth asking your former course leader.

If you had any mitigating circumstances for failing such as ill-health, bereavement etc., then you may have been able to get your marks adjustedor other considerations. However it's too late to go that route after the event, especially if your department's Exam Board have already ratified the results.
Original post by Klix88
As above, you've been awarded a Diploma of Higher Edication (DipHE) which shows that you have completed two years of uni-level education successfully. You have failed your third year so badly that your uni has decided not to offer you the opportunity to resit coursework/exams or to retake the entire year. At 120 credits per year, you failed over half of your third year, which is pretty significant. Your uni must believe that you are not capable of passing your third year.

A DipHE is a stand-alone qualificaton which isn't designed to be "topped up" to a full degree when offered by a brick university. I doubt you can do anything about it, but it is worth asking your former course leader.

If you had any mitigating circumstances for failing such as ill-health, bereavement etc., then you may have been able to get your marks adjustedor other considerations. However it's too late to go that route after the event, especially if your department's Exam Board have already ratified the results.

I had chronic illness and am appealing the results so I can resit the year with help from a letter from my GP saying I was referred to a therapist for cbt and given anti-depressants.

I'm writing a letter now, would it be possible for you to check it and see if it would suffice? thanks.
Why did you fail 65 credits? Was it because of your ill-health?

I assume that you failed particular modules that was basically below 40% or you didn't take enough modules and therefore cannot graduate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending