The Student Room Group

Comparing Much Ado with Clockwork Orange -- coursework dilemma!!

This is a long one but I really really need help so if anyone thinks they can, PLEASE read on!!

I'm currently *trying* to write the first draft of my a-level English lit. coursework whereby we have to write a comparative essay about Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing and a book of our choice. Initially I was going to do some Austen (sense and sensibility) but really felt like I wasn't getting anywhere with it so I decided to completely turn the tables and compare it to Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange (really, really weird yet amazing book).

I really need help with some starting points, I think I have my question decided on (almost) and I know I want to focus on the themes of deception and transformation. I'm thinking my question will be 'Explore the effect of deception on moral reform and transformation in both Much Ado About Nothing and A Clockwork Orange' (does that sound okay?? themes good?? yes yes??).

I was going to write about how Alex is deceived and manipulated by the State to be conditioned against violence and evil, and how certain characters (especially Beatrice and Benedick) go through a complete transformation as a result of deception and end up in love, Beatrice's character almost changed completely. But I don't think I can write 2000 words about that.

Please help me!! If anyone has any suggestions or ideas about other things I can write about it would be very very very appreciated!!! I am ripping my hair out!

EDIT: I really can't change my text as it's kind of too late and have already changed it a few times before. At one point I was even going to replace Much Ado with King Lear but didn't feel up to studying a Shakespeare text without assistance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by meghan.sp
This is a long one but I really really need help so if anyone thinks they can, PLEASE read on!!

I'm currently *trying* to write the first draft of my a-level English lit. coursework whereby we have to write a comparative essay about Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing and a book of our choice. Initially I was going to do some Austen (sense and sensibility) but really felt like I wasn't getting anywhere with it so I decided to completely turn the tables and compare it to Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange (really, really weird yet amazing book).

I really need help with some starting points, I think I have my question decided on (almost) and I know I want to focus on the themes of deception and transformation. I'm thinking my question will be 'Explore the effect of deception on moral reform and transformation in both Much Ado About Nothing and A Clockwork Orange' (does that sound okay?? themes good?? yes yes??).

I was going to write about how Alex is deceived and manipulated by the State to be conditioned against violence and evil, and how certain characters (especially Beatrice and Benedick) go through a complete transformation as a result of deception and end up in love, Beatrice's character almost changed completely. But I don't think I can write 2000 words about that.

Please help me!! If anyone has any suggestions or ideas about other things I can write about it would be very very very appreciated!!! I am ripping my hair out!

Find a different book. However much you are wedded to Orange, its likeness to Much Ado is minimal and it will make your essay thin and contrived to make connections. The art of doing well in Eng lit coursework is finding works where the comparison is meaningful and illuminating, not forced and superficial. Choose a topic from Much Ado which interests you and find a novel that goes with it. Then it will write itself.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Find a different book. However much you are wedded to Orange, its likeness to Much Ado is minimal and it will make your essay thin and contrived to make connections. The art of doing well in Eng lit coursework is finding works where the comparison is meaningful and illuminating, not forced and superficial. Choose a topic from Much Ado which interests you and find a novel that goes with it. Then it will write itself.

Thanks for the suggestion but it's kind of too late to change the text. My teacher wants the first draft on Friday and I've been planning and researching for months about these two texts. Yeah my time management kind of sucks :frown:
Original post by meghan.sp
Thanks for the suggestion but it's kind of too late to change the text. My teacher wants the first draft on Friday and I've been planning and researching for months about these two texts. Yeah my time management kind of sucks :frown:

Speaking as a teacher who has taught this syllabus for many years, I think your teacher would rather you asked for an extension and explained why, with the result that you turned in something good, rather than have something which will require you both to spend hours and hours trying to force it into a mould which it won't fit into. I suggest seeing him/her on Monday and having a serious talk.

Quick Reply

Latest