The Student Room Group

A levels are making me genuinely miserable.

I feel like I physically can't do it. I don't sleep properly, my weight is fluctuating and I'm having an average of about 3 panic attacks weekly. My teachers don't seem to recognise that we have other subjects too, and I have both my English coursework which I haven't started and my art coursework (written) due next week. I can't talk to anybody about it because they will push me forward and tell me everything will be fine and it really won't. I failed my mocks last month which means my predicted grades are going to be really low and likely won't get any offers from unis when I write my UCAS/personal statement. Please help, I just posted another question about my english coursework and the advice I got as to pick a different book, which, I can't do. I don't know what to do and I am seriously considering dropping out. My whole family and all my teachers seem to think I am really academic because of my GSCE results but I had to work really hard and essentially have a nervous breakdown to achieve that, and that was only GCSE. I physically don't think I can do well at a-level, and I don't know if I want to go to uni. (But every time I mention this my mum gets angry at me because she didn't finish her degree and regrets it)
Reply 1
Hey, It's okay to feel like this A levels are really hard and the stress that comes with them can be brutal.

What I'd suggest is trying to do as much as you can for you're course work. The art (from what I remember) is likely to be the easier of the two things you've got to write as most of it is reflective of your work and how you've been inspired by other people. Hopefully this will get you in some sort of 'zone' :smile: MAKE SURE YOU TAKE REGULAR BREAKS THOUGH!!!
Even if your art coursework written section isn't perfect you still have got something to hand in :smile: and you can improve on it fingers crossed :smile:

for your english unfortunately its going to have to be a grin and bear it, perhaps go for the the quicker its started the quicker its done approach, I've done this in the past and is super helpful, and don't try to make it perfect straight away, write your thoughts then go back and edit it :smile:

Your predicted grades should not only be coming from your mocks, surely your teachers would have some say in this too, as people can have bad days. I screwed up miserably in one of my mocks, but my teacher still predicted me a decent grade due to what I was doing in class :smile: so don't get beat up about that there is ways it can be sorted :smile:

I can say I was and still am in the same boat as you when it come to the teachers (and peers sometimes) thinking that I am super clever naturally, however they never saw how much work I had to put in behind the scenes, you have got this!! you can do it!!! If you are struggling with a topic when revising speak to someone and explain how you are feeling, or get help, and don't leave until they understand you :smile:

good luck!! I believe in you!!
Reply 2
Original post by meghan.sp
I feel like I physically can't do it. I don't sleep properly, my weight is fluctuating and I'm having an average of about 3 panic attacks weekly. My teachers don't seem to recognise that we have other subjects too, and I have both my English coursework which I haven't started and my art coursework (written) due next week. I can't talk to anybody about it because they will push me forward and tell me everything will be fine and it really won't. I failed my mocks last month which means my predicted grades are going to be really low and likely won't get any offers from unis when I write my UCAS/personal statement. Please help, I just posted another question about my english coursework and the advice I got as to pick a different book, which, I can't do. I don't know what to do and I am seriously considering dropping out. My whole family and all my teachers seem to think I am really academic because of my GSCE results but I had to work really hard and essentially have a nervous breakdown to achieve that, and that was only GCSE. I physically don't think I can do well at a-level, and I don't know if I want to go to uni. (But every time I mention this my mum gets angry at me because she didn't finish her degree and regrets it)

Join the club mate.
Original post by meghan.sp

I really really empathize with your situation. I passed through the same kind of torment during my freshman year. I, too, was under pressure because my mum had also dropped out. I felt like it would kill her if I dropped out, yet the weight seemed too much to bear at the time.
Trust me though, it gets better sooner than you may expect.
Your decision-making faculties might not be working at optimal capacity with all these pressures, but I promise that you don't want to drop out.
Get help from anywhere you can find it. Coming here to TSR is a great step to take. You will pull through this, and if there's any way that we here can help to ease your load, please feel very free to ask.
And take it a little easy on yourself!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest