The Student Room Group

GCSEs better than A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
Controversial. :ninja:

Possibly. But I work in a sector in which on the job learning is everything.
I want to do an extra gcse because IT is a bit too easy for me. But I wasn't allowed :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Possibly. But I work in a sector in which on the job learning is everything.

For nursing, I'd definitely agree. :yep:
Original post by Captain Jack
I recently studied the equivalent of a GCSE in horticulture and I'm now doing the A-level one. It got me thinking, the GCSE level of most subjects takes you from zero knowledge to tonnes of knowledge really quickly.

Where as A-levels just build on that knowledge.

So actually, I think GCSEs are better than A-levels. Discuss.

What do you think?!

I wouldn't say you go from zero knowledge, you could say GCSEs build on key stage 3, but then key stage 2 and key stage 1 (etc)

So pre-school/nursery is the most important time?
Original post by Hydeman
For nursing, I'd definitely agree. :yep:

Also for Medicine. You can't learn to be a doctor, not a competent and efficient one (with a good bedside manner), from a book.
Why does everything turn into a league table? What is the point in such a question? GCSEs and A levels are part of a continuum. They serve different purposes to people at different stages in their education. It's not an 'either/or' issue.
Also for Medicine. You can't learn to be a doctor, not a competent and efficient one (with a good bedside manner), from a book.

True, but I'd say for medicine you do need quite a strong theoretical understanding before you can learn by doing.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
If I'm being honest I found GCSEs ridiculously easy and not very stimulating. I remember getting to A level and thinking "I've learnt more in 2 weeks than I did in 2 years at GCSE", especially where the sciences are concerned.

Quite true. For some exams, night before revision could net you an A*.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Why does everything turn into a league table? What is the point in such a question? GCSEs and A levels are part of a continuum. They serve different purposes to people at different stages in their education. It's not an 'either/or' issue.

You're very annoying! You constantly make good posts so I am always left disappointed/frustrated because I can never rep you!
You're very annoying! You constantly make good posts so I am always left disappointed/frustrated because I can never rep you!

:colondollar: It's what I do best...
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

It's not meant as that serious a debate really. Just an observation that GCSEs are often undervalued. I agree with you.
It's not meant as that serious a debate really. Just an observation that GCSEs are often undervalued. I agree with you.

Just as well I didn't move it to Educational Debate, as I was contemplating.
Definitely preferred A-levels to GCSEs but I'm not sure if that's down to my overall sixth form experience being better than secondary and having amazing tutors. I feel as though I had a lot more freedom during sixth form with the material I wrote about (in English Lang/Lit and History) with coursework and exams, which I didn't feel during GCSEs. With A-levels, I was able to showcase my writing properly as it was tailored to my skills and not mark schemes.
That, in turn, prepared me for uni.
There are many different angles to approach this.

A-level is the closest you'd get to understanding the limitations of what we know and don't. In A-level mathematics, you're exposed to harder calculus and trigonometry and vectors. Further Mathematics goes a step further and exposes you to complex numbers/planes and hyperbola and matrices and Euler's, as well as Mechanics if you choose that module.A-level chemisry goes well beyond Bohr's model and delves deep into the theory of electron shells and sub-shells and kinetics/energetics/entropy/etc.

GCSE is a way to introduce you to the basics, but does not expect you to challenge its assumptions too much. A-levels is a much more comprehensive, concept-led approach that demands much more understanding.
Reply 33
gcses are undervalued because you can literally revise the night before and get an A*
Hi guys,

I wondered what you thought of this discussion as you're closest to education?

Jack

Spoiler

You're asking someone that doesn't have GCSEs.... :teehee: :lol:
Wait... Was this Jack trying to gain the upper hand in that CT competition on Friday?! :shock: sorry, still slow... Only just clicked. :colondollar:
Original post by Deyesy
Have to disagree that GCSE's are better than A Levels!

A Levels require 'understanding' of the knowledge whereas GCSE's - I found at least, just required me to 'learn' the information.

I agree with this.

My GCSEs (other than maths) were more about memorising facts, whereas at A Level is was less about memorising facts.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
You're asking someone that doesn't have GCSEs.... :teehee: :lol:

You did O Levels? :ninja:
Original post by Hydeman
You did O Levels? :ninja:

No, I just don't have GCSEs. Well, I got my English and Maths I did at college :lol:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
No, I just don't have GCSEs. Well, I got my English and Maths I did at college :lol:

Hmm. But then you could compare maths at GCSE with maths at A Level (if I recall correctly, you were doing an AS in maths, independently)? :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest