The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bullettheory
I've got a quick question for you guys. I'm involved on a project working with a major mental health charity to develop a conference for young people with the theme of digital media and mental health. We've been thinking of getting a "celebrity" involved, so just a couple of questions on that:

1) Are there any popular bloggers or vloggers who have used the Internet to discuss mental health that would attract you to an event?

2) Are there any others who have used digital media, or other forms of media to talk about mental illness that would attract you to an event?

3) Would someone like this attract you to an event if they were the main/guest speaker?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Second vote for Johnny Benjamin. I hadn't realised this til my Mind line manager mentioned it, but he is the same age and has the same disorder as me. So he's kinda an inspiration to me :colondollar:

I would love to meet him or at least hear him speak - would def be an incentive to come to a conference :redface: I'd even be willing to pay to hear him! :yep:
Oh okay I wasn't aware of that government loan I will check it out, thank you. Yeah I was thinking of doing the masters part time and get a job as a social worker part time too.

Did you decide on Kingston in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did yeah :smile:
Apparently i 'wont have time to be anxious'. Right.

~Anon 1
I'm starting uni in September and lately been feeling rather lost + inadequate.

I've been feeling mentally worse just in general but dont know if my case is serious enough to talk to someone
on campus mental health as I'm worried about my long-term mental health while at university.
I don't know if I should wait for a certain level of severity otherwise I might just be wasting their time...

I've just constantly been having negative thoughts & self-doubt not in academia but in every aspect in life. . :sigh: :frown:
its been a struggle getting up every day.
Reply 1684
Does anyone else have friends that make out as if their life is superior in some way or another? As in they are busy during the day and they assume that you aren't. Therefore, their life is "superior" in some way or another.
Got some good news today - the council are finally installing a buzzer door system in my block of flats next month so not everyone will be able to walk into the block and cause trouble, start shouting, kick doors etc. That's honestly made my day :biggrin: might not stop all the trouble makers but should cut it down a lot I'd imagine. Hoping that makes me feel a bit safer and more comfortable in my own home :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed my driving test today :woo:

But sadly the entire situation with my uncle is still on my mind... :cry2:
Original post by PandaWho
Not celebs as such, but huge folliwers on social media
Johnny Benjamin (find mike campaign)

Jack Monroe (they are very open about mental health and their past and current battle with depression and anxiety)

Dodie Clark (Youtube doddleoddle/doddlevloggle has been open about struggling with depression in her vlogs)

Then theres jo brand who is ace and fights for MH campaigns and stuff as she used to be a MH nurse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Those are some really good ideas I'll check them out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Second vote for Johnny Benjamin. I hadn't realised this til my Mind line manager mentioned it, but he is the same age and has the same disorder as me. So he's kinda an inspiration to me :colondollar:

I would love to meet him or at least hear him speak - would def be an incentive to come to a conference :redface: I'd even be willing to pay to hear him! :yep:

Okay cool! I met him once, although I didn't know who he was until someone told me later. Seemed a nice guy. Well if we manage to get him I'll send you the details of the conference. You can pay me in cookies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noodlzzz
I did yeah :smile:

Nice one, hope it goes well for you, I've still got one more year at Kingston.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my second CAMHS assessment today and got told that I probably have severe anxiety which was a shock if I'm honest but I have a feeling he's going to diagnose more :s-smilie: luckily I have more meetings arranged with him, the adolescent clinical psychologist, so will wait and see :smile:
Spoilered purely because it's whine

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
I'm starting uni in September and lately been feeling rather lost + inadequate.

I've been feeling mentally worse just in general but dont know if my case is serious enough to talk to someone
on campus mental health as I'm worried about my long-term mental health while at university.
I don't know if I should wait for a certain level of severity otherwise I might just be wasting their time...

I've just constantly been having negative thoughts & self-doubt not in academia but in every aspect in life. . :sigh: :frown:
its been a struggle getting up every day.

Please don't make my mistake of putting off getting help til it's severe - it may be too far gone by then to 'easily' turn things around. Seek help at the earliest opportunity. You're worth it :hugs:

Okay cool! I met him once, although I didn't know who he was until someone told me later. Seemed a nice guy. Well if we manage to get him I'll send you the details of the conference. You can pay me in cookies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:gah: :love: :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
my life is grimmer than grim. I don't have the words to even explain how bleak and hopeless everything is. can't say too much, but truly. just horrific.
Im so fed up of this.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
X

Please poke me tomorrow about the blog thing please! :redface:
Original post by Midnightmemories
I passed my driving test today :woo:

But sadly the entire situation with my uncle is still on my mind... :cry2:

Well Done!!!!!!! :woo:

Aw im sorry to hear about your uncle
I hope things improve soon :console: :hugs:
They don't know if he's going to make it threw the night, ****.

:cry:
Original post by Deyesy
Please poke me tomorrow about the blog thing please! :redface:

Is this quoting me? I can't tell on the app :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
think i'm on the edge of becoming unwell again. mild fleeting voices for the first time in a couple of months and terrible thoughts. night hallucinations are more intense and insomnia is pretty bad. haven't left the house in about a month and noticed this morning how badly i have neglected to look after myself. i still haven't sorted out dropping out of uni i just can't bring myself to do it cause they will probably reject my reapplication. have to get a note from care coordinator for esa application and they will probably reject that as well. head is a shed at the minute

Latest