The Student Room Group

Why is the IQ so low in Saudia Arabia (84)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teleport1
So you do think people in the west are better than other people

Where did I say in my posts that people in the West are better?
for a country with no alcohol, no women to stare at and a very strict code of practice. 84 IQ is pathetic!
Original post by The Epicurean
Please point to where I have claimed that people in the west are better than other people?

You dont know anything but are just making up things to justify his thinking, which is that people in the west are better than others
Original post by thunder_chunky
There may be money, *doesn't automatically mean they'll be smart. They only have money because of their oil. *Without it, they'd just be nothing more than a country of savages. The answer is obvious though, their religion.

But that tends to be the correlation. Money = Higher IQ over time in nearly most cases.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Where did I say in my posts that people in the West are better?

'Idk maybe because we're actually encouraged to think for ourselves? '

Thats implying it..
'Idk maybe because we're actually encouraged to think for ourselves? '

Thats implying it..

Read my previous posts please. I was referring to the education systems in the West and in Saudi Arabia.
Original post by Bill_Gates
for a country with no alcohol, no women to stare at and a very strict code of practice. 84 IQ is pathetic!

Where did you get 84 IQ from? And I think most of these IQ tests were done in the 70s/80s when the Saudi population was a lot less rich and educated.
From the telegraph- "IQ tests are misleading because they do not accurately reflect intelligence, according to a study which found that a minimum of three different exams are needed to measure someone's brainpower."
Source- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9755929/IQ-tests-do-not-reflect-intelligence.html

Point is that there could be many uncontrollable factors to why someone did badly in their IQ test.
Original post by Bill_Gates
But that tends to be the correlation. Money = Higher IQ over time in nearly most cases.

This thread is stupid. Who has actually measured every single persons IQ. And according to you, the top 5 countries are asian countries which dont have the most money. So what you say doesnt make sense
This thread is stupid. Who has actually measured every single persons IQ. And according to you, the top 5 countries are asian countries which dont have the most money. So what you say doesnt make sense

Top countries are wealthy i.e Singapore, Hong Kong etc. Other countries have a clear explanation why they have a high IQ i.e one child policy etc.

Original post by Ravenous
Where did you get 84 IQ from? And I think most of these IQ tests were done in the 70s/80s when the Saudi population was a lot less rich and educated.

Original post by BrianMcEgg
From the telegraph- "IQ tests are misleading because they do not accurately reflect intelligence, according to a study which found that a minimum of three different exams are needed to measure someone's brainpower."
Source- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9755929/IQ-tests-do-not-reflect-intelligence.html

Point is that there could be many uncontrollable factors to why someone did badly in their IQ test.

I've been speaking with a PHD who is undertaking similar research in the UK. They have used 3 different types of IQ tests and most the IQ tests have been done yearly since the 1950s. Saudi has remained extremely static even though GDP per capita has kept rising.
People are always trying to dissect other countries faults and in their minds people are always superior in the west.

I see. that's interesting.

People also try to dissect their own country's faults too.

That is how we improve as a society and civilization.

That says little about whether people are better or worse. If one thinks the people of one country is better as a human, then that is unfortunate and I apologise for that. But analysing the system or situation of a country doesn't mean its people are worse as a human. I don't think anyone that you have quoted have tried to dehumanise the people of Saudi Arabia.
Read my previous posts please. I was referring to the education systems in the West and in Saudi Arabia.

You are saying smartness depends on the upbringing of people when it doesnt. It just depends on how smart you are naturally. IQ is meaningless anyways. Plus education systems in Saudia Arabia are good. I dont know why you would say otherwise have you even been there?
You dont know anything but are just making up things to justify his thinking, which is that people in the west are better than others

What did I make up?

Again, where have I claimed western people are better than others? Back your claims up if you are going to make them.

I don't know how reliable this IQ figure is, but assuming it is correct, then either one thinks Saudi Arabian people are less intelligent, or that there could be other factors at play. I hypothesised the latter. IQ tests measure abstract thinking. People in the 19th century in the West had a much lower IQ score than people in the modern era in the West have. Read up about the Flynn Effect. There has been a documented increase in IQ, generation upon generation. That does not imply people in the West 100 years ago were less intelligent or that people of my generation are superior to people of my Grandfathers generation.

If IQ measures abstract thinking, and Saudi Arabia has alow IQ, then there could be a factor behind this. Which is why I asked someone in this thread who knows about the Saudi education system whether memorisation played a great role in the Saudi education system .I didn't state a fact, I merely queried someone who might know.

Now it is a fact that memorisation is highly valued in Islamic culture. Christians don't memorise the Bible, as we tend not to have a culture that values memoirsation. However, in many Islamic societies, a great emphasis and value is placed upon memorising the Quran. In fact, so important is this task that there is a term to describe people who have memorised the Quran, namely hafiz.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chemting
I see. that's interesting.

People also try to dissect their own country's faults too.

That is how we improve as a society and civilization.

That says little about whether people are better or worse. If one thinks the people of one country is better as a human, then that is unfortunate and I apologise for that. But analysing the system or situation of a country doesn't mean its people are worse as a human. I don't think anyone that you have quoted have tried to dehumanise the people of Saudi Arabia.

People in the west generally dont dissect their own country's fault. I didnt mean you are dehumanizing them but im just saying in general for this thread.
Original post by The Epicurean
What did I make up?

Again, where have I claimed western people are better than others? Back your claims up if you are going to make them.

I don't know how reliable this IQ figure is, but assuming it is correct, then either one thinks Saudi Arabian people are less intelligent, or that there could be other factors at play. I hypothesised the latter. IQ tests measure abstract thinking. People in the 19th century in the West had a much lower IQ score than people in the modern era in the West have. Read up about the Flynn Effect. There has been a documented increase in IQ, generation upon generation. That does not imply people in the West 100 years ago were less intelligent or that people of my generation are superior to people of Grandfathers generation.

If IQ measures abstract thinking, and Saudi Arabia has alow IQ, then there could be a factor behind this. Which is why I asked someone in this thread who knows about the Saudi education system whether memorisation played a great role in the Saudi education system .I didn't state a fact, I merely queried someone who might know.

Now it is a fact that memorisation is highly valued in Islamic culture. Christians don't memorise the Bible, as we tend not to have a culture that values memoirsation. However, in many Islamic societies, a great emphasis and value is placed upon memorising the Quran. In fact, so important is this task that there is a term to describe people who have memorised the Quran, namely hafiz.

Ok. I thought you were saying it in terms of smartness. But the ed. system is not about only memorization.. its about abstract thinking too. Also I dont think you can learn abstract thinking, either you have it or you dont. So it has nothing to do with the upbringing. Nobody told Newton to go make theorems about gravity. And the IQ measurement is also stupid. Unless you are measuring everyones IQ in the country it wont be a true representative. Even if only 1000 people are measured it wont be. Also there can be many other factors like bias and anomalies so the IQ test is unreliable
You are saying smartness depends on the upbringing of people when it doesnt. It just depends on how smart you are naturally. IQ is meaningless anyways. Plus education systems in Saudia Arabia are good. I dont know why you would say otherwise have you even been there?

What part of read my previous posts do you not get? There's an academic report which concludes educational upbringing is linked to IQ levels first.

THEN

There's an another report highlighting the lack of encouragement of outside and creative thinking in Saudi Arabian education.
People in the west generally dont dissect their own country's fault.

Do you honestly believe that? Do you follow politics, and political discussion? at least on TSR?

The Brits are a very moaning society, all we do is dissect our faults! :biggrin:

Spoiler

im just saying in general for this thread.

I can't speak for everybody, but I'm sorry you feel that.
What part of read my previous posts do you not get? There's an academic report which concludes educational upbringing is linked to IQ levels first.

THEN

There's an another report highlighting the lack of encouragement of outside and creative thinking in Saudi Arabian education.

I did read your previous post. You said they are archaic and whatnot.

There's an academic report which concludes educational upbringing is linked to IQ levels first.

Lol.
Do you believe everything on the internet

Again...^ You seem to believe everything some old reports tell you. There is encouragement of creative thinking. Maybe you should go and see instead of reading some reports.
Original post by chemting
Do you honestly believe that? Do you follow politics, and political discussion? at least on TSR?

The Brits are a very moaning society, all we do is dissect our faults! :biggrin:

Spoiler

I can't speak for everybody, but I'm sorry you feel that.

Arguing about politics is different. Its common in all countries. But apart from that I dont really see any of that. And its not your fault.... just some things ive experienced a lot
I did read your previous post. You said they are archaic and whatnot.

Lol.
Do you believe everything on the internet

Again...^ You seem to believe everything some old reports tell you. There is encouragement of creative thinking. Maybe you should go and see instead of reading some reports.

Considering the report talking about IQ levels being linked to education has been written by a qualified neurosurgeon only 2 years ago, I will believe it sweetheart.

Can you please show me evidence that shows encouragement of creative thinking from a nation which still preaches religious hatred in their schoolbooks? You seem so hellbent on saying that Saudi Arabian schools encourage thinking outside the box. I've put down my evidence that implies otherwise.

Show me yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending