The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP... Graduated with a Diploma in chemical engineering...

So I failed my last year and failed 65 credits due to having depression.... the final decision made by the uni is a DIPLOMA.

What does a diploma mean? Also what are the other avenues I can do? I'm really having anxiety over this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Original post by justdateriguy
So I failed my last year and failed 65 credits due to having depression.... the final decision made by the uni is a DIPLOMA.

What does a diploma mean? Also what are the other avenues I can do? I'm really having anxiety over this.

Could you retake your final year?
Original post by Smack
Could you retake your final year?

I emailed the office yesterday but i've heard no news.

I hope I do, preferably in another university maybe? Not too sure tho.
I emailed the office yesterday but i've heard no news.

I hope I do, preferably in another university maybe? Not too sure tho.

I think a retake, if available, would be the best solution, as I'm not too sure about diplomas etc. Not so sure whether you'll be able to transfer to another university, though, as from what I am aware, universities prefer if you studied at least the majority of your degree at their institution before they award you with a degree.
Original post by Smack
I think a retake, if available, would be the best solution, as I'm not too sure about diplomas etc. Not so sure whether you'll be able to transfer to another university, though, as from what I am aware, universities prefer if you studied at least the majority of your degree at their institution before they award you with a degree.

thanks for the information. Also what is an open university? I've heard i can transfer credits to the OU but don't see much info on their website
thanks for the information. Also what is an open university? I've heard i can transfer credits to the OU but don't see much info on their website

I don't know much about the OU, although I'm sure it has its own forum on this site, down below with the rest of the universities. That might be another option, though.
Reply 6

With a medical diagnosis of depression, you would have been able to apply for your uni's Extenuating Circumstances during your third year. This would have given you things like mark adjustments, extensions, access to uncapped exam/coursework resits and resubmissions. Unfortunately it's too late to go that route at this point and I doubt you have any recourse. It's worth asking at your uni's Student Union or Student Support department, but I wouldn't be optimistic at this late stage.
Original post by Klix88
With a medical diagnosis of depression, you would have been able to apply for your uni's Extenuating Circumstances during your third year. This would have given you things like mark adjustments, extensions, access to uncapped exam/coursework resits and resubmissions. Unfortunately it's too late to go that route at this point and I doubt you have any recourse. It's worth asking at your uni's Student Union or Student Support department, but I wouldn't be optimistic at this late stage.

I had chronic depression and am appealing the results so I can resit the year with help from a letter from my GP saying I was referred to a therapist for cbt and given anti-depressants.I'm writing a letter now, would it be possible for you to check it and see if it would suffice? thanks.
So I've failed my last year of uni studying chemical engineering due to chronic depression and i'm appealing the results so I can resit the year with help from a letter from my GP saying I was referred to a therapist for cbt and given anti-depressants.I'm writing a letter now, would it be possible for someone to check it and see if it would suffice?

Also is there anything else I should to add to give me a better chance of being accepted?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Hi, I've merged your threads together as it was similar to your previous one.

On second thought, though I'm not sure if the Engineering forum is the best place for this question as it's not really an engineering related one. Better places may be the mental health forum or the university life one. Would you like me to move your thread?
Original post by Smack
Hi, I've merged your threads together as it was similar to your previous one.

On second thought, though I'm not sure if the Engineering forum is the best place for this question as it's not really an engineering related one. Better places may be the mental health forum or the university life one. Would you like me to move your thread?

yeah please Smack... appreciate it
yeah please Smack... appreciate it

Where to, tough; I'm thinking University Life?
Original post by Smack
Where to, tough; I'm thinking University Life?

Uni life seems a bit more active than the Mental health so i'd say move it to the uni life. Thanks
Reply 12
I had chronic depression and am appealing the results so I can resit the year with help from a letter from my GP saying I was referred to a therapist for cbt and given anti-depressants.I'm writing a letter now, would it be possible for you to check it and see if it would suffice? thanks.

Nobody here will be able to comment in any detail, as it will very much depend on what your uni permits or is looking for. The best idea is to involve your Student Union and get them to look over the letter. They will understand how your uni's appeals system works and exactly what they expect to see in a GP's letter under these circumstances.

Just as a first idea, I would suggest that you ask your GP to include info on why you were unable to follow your uni's Extenuating Circumstances process in advance of results being published. That's as well as covering why you had such consistently poor results all year.

Quick Reply

Latest