The Student Room Group

Dhaka shooting: Hostage situation as gunmen battle police

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/01/asia/bangladesh-dhaka-shooting/index.html

Armed attackers are holding as many as 20 hostages at a cafe in a diplomatic zone of Bangladesh's capital. A gunbattle with police left at least one officer dead.As police exchanged fire with the gunmen, the attackers threw explosives at officers, a source at the scene said.

Spoiler

Reply 1
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it too early to assume the religion of the attackers?
I'm so worried :frown:

A very close friend of mine lives in Dhaka, Bangladesh and frequently visits that area...
Reply 4
Original post by physicsphysics91

From the BBC article:

"So-called Islamic State has said it carried out the attack."

"Media reports quoted witnesses as saying that "Allahu Akbar", meaning "God is greatest", was heard as the attack took place."
Reply 5

Why do you care?
Original post by Trapz99
Why do you care?

Wanted to see if it was something other than the usual suspects.
Reply 7
Wanted to see if it was something other than the usual suspects.

Why does it matter to you what religion the attackers believe in? And who are the 'usual suspects'?
Reply 8
Original post by Trapz99
Why does it matter to you what religion the attackers believe in? And who are the 'usual suspects'?

Clearly the implication was islamic terrorism specifically [Which it is].
Reply 9
Original post by 34908seikj
Clearly the implication was islamic terrorism specifically [Which it is].

Extremist terrorism more like. Not 'Islamic' in any way, shape or form.
Reply 10
Original post by Trapz99
Extremist terrorism more like. Not 'Islamic' in any way, shape or form.

Well BBC is saying it was done by IS, so while you may not affiliate them with Islam, their actions are motivated by Islam, or at least they claim. It's still extremism, Islamic extremism.
Horrible, even worse is how it wont even make headlines as Bangladesh is on that side of the scale of countries to care about when sickening terrorism like this strikes.
Reply 12
Original post by Craig1998
Horrible, even worse is how it wont even make headlines as Bangladesh is on that side of the scale of countries to care about when sickening terrorism like this strikes.

[video="youtube;aVQLJ-NBIWE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVQLJ-NBIWE[/video]

incorrect.
Original post by 34908seikj
[video="youtube;aVQLJ-NBIWE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVQLJ-NBIWE[/video]

incorrect.

I'm sorry but I thought it was implied that it wouldn't make headlines in the UK or in Western Media. The events in Brussels months ago were covered extensively, but whenever there is a terrorist attack in Iraq or Syria or wherever (there were >10 reported yesterday worldwide), it gets no headlines or anything like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending