The Student Room Group

yay or nay- WINDOWS 10- IS IT WORTH DOWNLOADING?

I've had a horrible experience with Windows 10, nonetheless, it does the job and runs smoothly..mostly.

If you're upgrading from Windows 8, go ahead

Scroll to see replies

yay or nay- WINDOWS 10- IS IT WORTH DOWNLOADING?

I've had a horrible experience with Windows 10, nonetheless, it does the job and runs smoothly..mostly.

If you're upgrading from Windows 8, go ahead
My laptop downloaded Windows 10 automatically (I previously had Windows 7), even though I kept cancelling it. I haven't had any issues with it so far though, all of my files and folders are still here and everything else is still pretty much the same apart from the new layout. I wouldn't say it was worth it particularly as it hasn't added much (that I know of), plus I didn't want to upgrade anyway, but everything still works fine with it so I guess that's good!
(edited 7 years ago)
Windows 7 is best
I say do it whilst it's free, you'll end up upgrading one day anyway.. I moved from windows 7 to 10 and i haven't noticed much difference except they call things 'apps' now which i don't really get
I'm not sure about the privacy stuff, but all I can say is that I was using my laptop normally (just browsing the Internet), when all of a sudden it restarted and began downloading Windows 10 without asking me first! No harm has been done though as far as I'm aware
Reply 5
Do you have 7 or 8 atm?

I'd upgrade if you have 8...though I have 8 and I'm still on 8 cause yeah stubborn.

But not if you have 7 cause 7 rox
Reply 6
Anyone with 10 have trouble with it coming out of sleep mode? Dads brand new PC has this problem, which is putting me off upgrading from 8 on my laptop...
Windows 8.1 master race reporting in.
Upgrade if you have 8/8.1, it's a big improvement.
Original post by Inexorably
Do you have 7 or 8 atm?

I'd upgrade if you have 8...though I have 8 and I'm still on 8 cause yeah stubborn.

But not if you have 7 cause 7 rox

Whats wrong with 8?, I have 8 and I love it
Absolutely; Windows 10 is much better. It returns to the traditional windows set-up of a task bar and windows button in the lower left-hand corner.

It gets rid of that ludicrous apps screen they implemented to make Windows seem more like a tablet or phone. I've also found that despite being a major upgrade it actually runs much more smoothly
I tried to find it and there is absolutely no substantiation. The only source I could find was a conspiracy radio show.

Windows wouldn't implement something like that; they'd be terrified of the fallout.
Windows 7>10>8
Windows 10 sounds great and I would upgrade if it wasn't for:
1-all the privacy issues/data harvesting
2- auto updates (unless you faff about settings
3- the disappearance of the traditional control panel
4-All these damn notifications and install me plz pop ups from Microsoft
Well, honestly, it depends on your situation. If you're running Windows 7 and you use Windows Media Center, or Windows XP Virtual Machine... then you're better off staying with Windows 7 because newer versions lack those features.

However, if you do get Windows 10, you get DirectX 12, access to the Windows Store, and Microsoft Edge. I'm a PC gamer, and I like Windows 10. I haven't had a problem with it so far, all my games run on it. I've even played a game called Quantum Break that you can only get via the Windows Store. I expect to see more Xbox One exclusive games via the Windows Store soon, so I'm glad I have Windows 10.

A lot of people out there are really, really paranoid about Windows 10. But it's not nearly as bad as they say. Telemetry collection has somehow morphed into spying and keyloggers. Windows 10 is not any more vulnerable to random hackers, in fact it's probably less vulnerable. The argument is that it makes it easier for Microsoft to spy on their users, and I don't buy that Microsoft is trying to do that. If they wanted to do that, they could have just as easily backported the telemetry updates to a Windows 7 machine.

It's also not true that you can't delay updates. You can change an option to have Windows notify you of an update coming up and let you reschedule it. You can't cancel them entirely (unless you have Enterprise edition), but that's because they need to patch Windows constantly to keep it secure these days. The biggest problem comes when they push driver updates. Those are the ones that cause problems, and they don't improve security, so that needs to be worked on. The whole point was to make Windows easier, and it ended up doing the opposite.

I personally don't see why people that paranoid and distrustful of Microsoft would accept any updates or run Windows at all. They should just switch to Linux and have done with it if that's really their position.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theBranicAc
Whats wrong with 8?, I have 8 and I love it

Always found the metro style quite irritating.

Also, personally, sims 2 compatibility :{{{{{
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, honestly, it depends on your situation. If you're running Windows 7 and you use Windows Media Center, or Windows XP Virtual Machine... then you're better off staying with Windows 7 because newer versions lack those features.

However, if you do get Windows 10, you get DirectX 12, access to the Windows Store, and Microsoft Edge. I'm a PC gamer, and I like Windows 10. I haven't had a problem with it so far, all my games run on it. I've even played a game called Quantum Break that you can only get via the Windows Store. I expect to see more Xbox One exclusive games via the Windows Store soon, so I'm glad I have Windows 10.

A lot of people out there are really, really paranoid about Windows 10. But it's not nearly as bad as they say. Telemetry collection has somehow morphed into spying and keyloggers. Windows 10 is not any more vulnerable to random hackers, in fact it's probably less vulnerable. The argument is that it makes it easier for Microsoft to spy on their users, and I don't buy that Microsoft is trying to do that. If they wanted to do that, they could have just as easily backported the telemetry updates to a Windows 7 machine.

It's also not true that you can't delay updates. You can change an option to have Windows notify you of an update coming up and let you reschedule it. You can't cancel them entirely (unless you have Enterprise edition), but that's because they need to patch Windows constantly to keep it secure these days.

I personally don't see why people that paranoid and distrustful of Microsoft would accept any updates or run Windows at all. They should just switch to Linux and have done with it if that's really their position.

I don't think that the Windows store will ever replace or beat steam, even with their exclusives.
it was on my computer brand new and i find it useable
I downloaded it and after a while google chrome stopped working so I couldn't run CCleaner, had to completely reset my laptop to get it back to Windows 8
Reply 19
Overall, I've found it to be worth upgrading. At first I was annoyed by some of the new stock software but got all of my usual apps back and changed them to default. Overall integration seems to be better, with Phone Companion, automatic photo uploading, Onedrive integration and more. On a few laptops and computers I've had to deal with, upgrading leads to issues because of driver conflicts but they were all fine after a clean installation.

Original post by Al-farhan
Windows 10 sounds great and I would upgrade if it wasn't for:
1-all the privacy issues/data harvesting
2- auto updates (unless you faff about settings
3- the disappearance of the traditional control panel
4-All these damn notifications and install me plz pop ups from Microsoft

1) I've tried my best to avoid data harvesting by changing all of the settings, although this isn't as easy as you think with "Install using recommended settings" options dotted everywhere without telling you what that actually means.

2) I think auto updates can be disabled, at least up to a certain extent, but if anything I've found auto driver updates to be useful.

3) Control panel can still be used by right clicking the start button and finding it on the list or searching from the start bar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending