The Student Room Group

aqa chemistry a level hard

hey guys I want to move college but they do a completely different spec for bio and chem I was wonder is aqa harder than ocr in term of application of knowledge ,question ,content and grade boundaries.p.s did anyone do the one as exam this yr and can u tell me how it was
I haven't looked at a edexcel chemistry past paper but from what I have heard is that the AQA is much more strict when it comes to marking and have high grade boundaries compared to others.
Original post by Raizelcadres
I haven't looked at a edexcel chemistry past paper but from what I have heard is that the AQA is much more strict when it comes to marking and have high grade boundaries compared to others.
are you doing ocr and if so how you finding it
Reply 3
Original post by pringles321
hey guys I want to move college but they do a completely different spec for bio and chem I was wonder is aqa harder than ocr in term of application of knowledge ,question ,content and grade boundaries.p.s did anyone do the one as exam this yr and can u tell me how it was

AQA is very very strict! I was doing a paper and asked my teacher for help and the answer she gave was correct but because it wasn't on the mark scene I wouldn't have got marks
Original post by J.Page
AQA is very very strict! I was doing a paper and asked my teacher for help and the answer she gave was correct but because it wasn't on the mark scene I wouldn't have got marks
but how are the question lay out for yo I mean is it worded complicatedly .thx for u reply
AQA is quite known for being more strict on their mark schemes. However, from seeing all the other exam boards, they do tend to have the easiest papers in terms of content and knowledge, other exam boards tend to be a little harder, but more lenient on their mark schemes.
Reply 6
but how are the question lay out for yo I mean is it worded complicatedly .thx for u reply

No more than other exam boards, so no not really. If you did do AQA, I'd recommend printing off the spec and get to know that because then you know what that exam board are after and you'll pick up marks easily (considering you have done your revision obvious💁)

Good Luck!
Reply 7
Just finished doing OCR Chemistry A at A2. From what I saw of AQA papers then they were definitely easier than OCR. This year's AQA CHEM4 received a lot of hate, but the main source of the complaints seemed to be a reasonably complex proton NMR question, which would be standard for OCR.
Reply 8

(Just my opinion) I did AQA bio and chem at a level and have to say the exams appeared much easier in comparison to my friends doing the OCR exam board.

Like the others have already mentioned; I agree the mark schemes for AQA are strict. Exam technique is key and this is something you will develop through doing past papers.
Original post by 06shawm
(Just my opinion) I did AQA bio and chem at a level and have to say the exams appeared much easier in comparison to my friends doing the OCR exam board.

Like the others have already mentioned; I agree the mark schemes for AQA are strict. Exam technique is key and this is something you will develop through doing past papers.
#did u have to learn any extra equation or content for aqa and what do u mean stricter in terms of what.thx you for replying this is all really helping
#did u have to learn any extra equation or content for aqa and what do u mean stricter in terms of what.thx you for replying this is all really helping

Hi,

Not going to lie, there will be a few equations that you will need to learn for the exam, but this is no more than any other exam board. They will not be provided to you in the exam. The equations are not that difficult so I would not worry too much regarding them. The A level equations are obviously a bit more difficult to apply in comparison to the AS equations but that will come with practice and revision. I really enjoyed a level chemistry and found it to be one of my easiest a levels because the content fits together quite well. When I say stricter I mean they are very specific when applying the mark scheme. For example you need to learn your definitions word for word. The examiner will not give you full marks unless you mention every single word for a chemical law/definition. Once you practice using past papers you'll develop a strong exam technique to ensure you don't make silly mistakes.*
Original post by 06shawm
Hi,

Not going to lie, there will be a few equations that you will need to learn for the exam, but this is no more than any other exam board. They will not be provided to you in the exam. The equations are not that difficult so I would not worry too much regarding them. The A level equations are obviously a bit more difficult to apply in comparison to the AS equations but that will come with practice and revision. I really enjoyed a level chemistry and found it to be one of my easiest a levels because the content fits together quite well. When I say stricter I mean they are very specific when applying the mark scheme. For example you need to learn your definitions word for word. The examiner will not give you full marks unless you mention every single word for a chemical law/definition. Once you practice using past papers you'll develop a strong exam technique to ensure you don't make silly mistakes.*
Thank you sooo much this had really helped my desion I was wondering how you practised and nay good notes /website u would recommmand.p.s how do u revise for chemistry when u have done all the practise q monthes before the exam
Thank you sooo much this had really helped my desion I was wondering how you practised and nay good notes /website u would recommmand.p.s how do u revise for chemistry when u have done all the practise q monthes before the exam

Not a problem. *

My advice for AQA chem:

- Past papers absolutely key for A/A*. I know they have changed to linear but after looking at the spec papers the actual content is very similar to the old spec but there is new additional content. This means you have loads of past papers to use for revision at your disposal.
- A great website I would recommend ishttp://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk they also have a page dedicated to the new spec.
- I would highly recommend these revision books alsohttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Student-Support-Materials-Collins/dp/0008180784/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7C3RD4NCYP109R0F2A35
- Make sure you understand the basics before moving onto the harder content. If you need help, ask for it. Don't let yourself fall behind especially since the exams are no longer modular.

Hope this helps.*
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest