The Student Room Group

How to deal with an extremely controlling parent?

I can't deal with this any more; it's driving me crazy. Where to start? I'm an 18 year old male, Christian, coming onto 19 in a few months, and I'm not allowed to do anything because of my unbelievably authoritarian mother. My mother is Belarusian, my dad is English (completely opposite in nature to my mum).I have a car, and am permitted out during the day (I am extremely thankful for this - this is the only freedom I can experience ... I seriously don't know how my mum allows me to drive 1/2 the time), but always have to be home by about 5 / 6 pm, because only maniacs drive at night, and at night visibility is 0, and therefore driving at night is basically a guarantee to crash, well at least according to my mum.My friend is hosting a house party next month, who's very kindly offered me to sleep over. I've never been to a sleepover before (because again, it's too dangerous apparently). I figured that 18 I'd be allowed and that it wouldn't be a problem - nope. I got the bo*locking of a lifetime from my mum. Apparently my friend's house will be full of prostitutes, everyone will be drunk, doing drugs and having sex. And half the people will be carrying knives and stabbing each other. I questioned my mum about university and how she's going to cope without me - well apparently she's going to move into my accommodation with me, so that she knows what I'm doing, and where I am 24/7 hours of the day. And she's talked about how she's going to walk me right up to the university doors with me, so that I don't get lost, raped or attacked. I'll be maybe allowed to move out at 30. 10-year olds have sleep overs without these kind of problems, I AM 18, not 10. Let that sink in. Well, on the bright side, I'm allowed to go to that party (I have no idea how), but not stay the night.Whenever I'm allowed out during the day, she needs to know where I'll be, why, for how long, and asks me to phone when I arrive at each location. It's almost like she's mission control and she's keeping track of my every move. If I'm late home, well the minimum she'll shout and verbally abuse me for is probably an hour. After she calms down, she'll bring up the issue multiple times again over the next few following days. If my phone says "missed call from mum" - oh god ... that is something that absolutely cannot happen. Last time that happened, she almost called the police (I was on a bike ride with friends and couldn't hear my phone ring). That was 4 years ago. To this day, I'm not allowed on bike rides with friends any more.A year ago I wanted to go to London to a concert (DURING THE DAY), and meet up with a friend. Apparently I'm incapable to using the tube (because it's too complicated) and there are too many criminals.Forget girls, forget alcohol, forget clubs, forget all that stuff. I don't care about any of that right now at all. I just want to live a bit. I feel like I'm living on a leash. I've worked my ass off on school work and I just want to live a bit. Absolutely everyone I know is not treated like this, in fact, their parents don't care what they do at all. Their parents just know their children are responsible, and won't get into trouble for doing anything stupid. My friends are going on holiday to other countries for god sake, and I'm not allowed to stay at a friends house at night. I'm fed up of making bullsh*t excuses to my friends as to why I can never do anything.I could go on an on and on about it. Please, I need advice. How do I handle this situation? And I can't just move out, before anyone suggests it. I won't be allowed to work at university, because I need to study all the time, so I won't have any money (and no I'm not allowed a student load either). And yes, I know, my parents can enforce their own rules while I'm living under their roof, but I feel like I'm living with a dictator, enforcing her bullsh*t regulations on me.She thinks I'm incapable of life. Ironically, I'm always the one directing her in airports, as she's incapable of understanding simple directions and reading simple maps. And I will probably be incapable of life soon with her mothering anyway.5 years ago, people were taking the p*ss out of me because I was never allowed to do anything. I though that hitting 18 = more freedom. Since hitting 18 my mum's become more controlling. Please help. I need it. Thank you for reading this through ... I could keep going for another 10 pages about her. Sorry if there are any typos / bad grammar. I cannot read this through without feeling sorry for myself and crying. And yes, I know that sounds incredibly sad, however I am just so done with life right now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just briefly, the worst part is that she doesn't even trust my dad. If I go on a bike ride with him (too dangerous to go on bike rides with friends), we have to use her designated route. "I NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE", apparently. I hear those words all the time, and it's just getting ridiculous now
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
x.

Woahhhh. Not even a Student Loan?? If I was in the exact same situation as you I would actually separate myself from my parents and live by myself (or with friends). You should leave when the chance arises. You don't want to hit 30 and still be treated like that.

Anyway read this article if you are still thinking of going to uni (it explains everything you should do to apply for a student loan even if your parents are refusing to support you).
That's terrible. What would happen if you stayed over at a friend's house? The police can't exactly arrest an 18 year old and bring you back after all.
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
Woahhhh. Not even a Student Loan?? If I was in the exact same situation as you I would actually separate myself from my parents and live by myself (or with friends). You should leave when the chance arises. You don't want to hit 30 and still be treated like that.

Anyway read this article if you are still thinking of going to uni (it explains everything you should do to apply for a student loan even if your parents are refusing to support you).

Hi thanks for the reply!! And yeah, a student loan is completely out of the question. And yes, I will be going to uni - pray to god I get the grades, as I'll never hear the end of it from my mum. My parents (dad, reluctantly) will be paying for university for me ... effectively controlling everything again.
Reply 5
Hi thanks for the reply!! And yeah, a student loan is completely out of the question. And yes, I will be going to uni - pray to god I get the grades, as I'll never hear the end of it from my mum. My parents (dad, reluctantly) will be paying for university for me ... effectively controlling everything again.

Are you an international student?
Reply 6
Original post by Copperknickers
That's terrible. What would happen if you stayed over at a friend's house? The police can't exactly arrest an 18 year old and bring you back after all.

Tell me about it, I don't know how I'm coping with all this.

To be honest, my mum would most likely go over to my friend's house and drag me out. The whole situation is just embarrassing.

They say "be thankful for what you have" ... some people don't realise just how valuable their freedom is ... I would must rather have been born into a poor family, but without the authority. Well I guess I can't really do anything about it unfortunately.
Reply 7
Just tell that ***** to shut the f**k up. ***** slap her right around the face, then take your belt off and give her a warning. If your dad says anything, ask him if he wants some.
Don't let other people tell you how to live. I would never let anyone control my life other than me. Put your foot down mate. Make a stand.
That was a joke. But seriously man you can't let people control you.
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
Are you an international student?

No, I was born in the UK. I have British father, but my mum is Belarusian.
Get the loan. Do what you can to remove yourself from the control.

Do everything you can to move out and take advantage of the university counselling service. I speak from experience.
No offence but your mum sounds like a complete ****
Original post by Ano123
Just tell that ***** to shut the f**k up. ***** slap her right around the face, then take your belt off and give her a warning. If your dad says anything, ask him if he wants some.
Don't let other people tell you how to live. I would never let anyone control my life other than me. Put your foot down mate. Make a stand.
That was a joke. But seriously man you can't let people control you.

Haha this has made my day! Sometimes, when I'm just so goddamn p*ssed at her, I completely feel like just telling her just to shut the f*ck up, however she is my mother after all. My dad would probably approve though tbh, as she controls him excessively as well.

I know I can't let her treat me like this, however I have no money, and have never been able to get a job (during school time, there was "no time to work". during the summer, I always go with my mum to Belarus (again, this is forced). And I do not know the language well enough to work there. When I go to uni, there will be "no time to work" again, because I'm going to be studying pretty much all the time, well according to my mum again). I'm pretty much dependant on my parents; I don't think there'll be a way to escape the trap tbh :/
Original post by Alextaylor6
No offence but your mum sounds like a complete ****

Don't worry, she is.

I feel bad about saying it about my own mother, but I've just about had enough.
You really need to disobey them and prove them wrong. Come back after and be like "see, I'm not dead"

Because of a med condition my parents were quite restrictive, but I ignored them and then they just got used to it, because I always came back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Haha this has made my day! Sometimes, when I'm just so goddamn p*ssed at her, I completely feel like just telling her just to shut the f*ck up, however she is my mother after all. My dad would probably approve though tbh, as she controls him excessively as well.

I know I can't let her treat me like this, however I have no money, and have never been able to get a job (during school time, there was "no time to work". during the summer, I always go with my mum to Belarus (again, this is forced). And I do not know the language well enough to work there. When I go to uni, there will be "no time to work" again, because I'm going to be studying pretty much all the time, well according to my mum again). I'm pretty much dependant on my parents; I don't think there'll be a way to escape the trap tbh :/

Just live with it for now, once you get to uni you would expect you get more freedom.
Original post by That Bearded Man
You really need to disobey them and prove them wrong. Come back after and be like "see, I'm not dead"

Because of a med condition my parents were quite restrictive, but I ignored them and then they just got used to it, because I always came back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have multiple times ... I'll keep it short ... it didn't go down well with my mum at all. It's just increased her authority over me.
Man that's the same exact thing as me, down to the phone calls and that. I wasn't even allowed to apply for Unis out of London because my mum and dad don't trust me living away from home. I'm going to get a degree I'm not going to get pregnant and become a drug addict!It helps to get your mum to get to know your friend's parents so that she feels okay with them. Maybe get your dad to back you since he seems alright? You maybe need to sit with her and explain everything in that original post. You try your best to do well in school, you're dedicated to your future, and you haven't done a bad thing in your life that would make her worry about you. Maybe emphasise your Christian morals, tell her that you'd never compromise those. Maybe tell her that if she lets you go, you promise that you'd call her once and a while to show her that you're safe (I know it'sannoying, but if you really want to sleep over at your mate's house, then you have to just accept it). Bottom line, she does it because she's worried about you. 18 years old, she thinks you're impressionable and likely to get up to all sorts. But I guess making it known that you appreciate her love and that you will always be grateful and this will help her realise that she's not misunderstood. But make her know that you've missed opportunities to really grow socially because of it. I just hope that this upset doesn't become resentment for your mum. And I also hope that you can get the freedom you want.Good luck man.
Don't worry, she is.

I feel bad about saying it about my own mother, but I've just about had enough.

It kind of comes down to if you want to keep your mum happy and maintain a relationship. One thing I will tell you is that you only have a limited amount of time on this planet and it's a shame to waste it
Original post by Alextaylor6
It kind of comes down to if you want to keep your mum happy and maintain a relationship. One thing I will tell you is that you only have a limited amount of time on this planet and it's a shame to waste it

That's the thing ... I don't completely want to cut her off, but I feel so left out when my friends are out having fun and I'm at home, effectively locked up. And by the looks of it things won't be changing for another 10+ years.
Original post by StudentInSociety
Man that's the same exact thing as me, down to the phone calls and that. I wasn't even allowed to apply for Unis out of London because my mum and dad don't trust me living away from home. I'm going to get a degree I'm not going to get pregnant and become a drug addict!It helps to get your mum to get to know your friend's parents so that she feels okay with them. Maybe get your dad to back you since he seems alright? You maybe need to sit with her and explain everything in that original post. You try your best to do well in school, you're dedicated to your future, and you haven't done a bad thing in your life that would make her worry about you. Maybe emphasise your Christian morals, tell her that you'd never compromise those. Maybe tell her that if she lets you go, you promise that you'd call her once and a while to show her that you're safe (I know it'sannoying, but if you really want to sleep over at your mate's house, then you have to just accept it). Bottom line, she does it because she's worried about you. 18 years old, she thinks you're impressionable and likely to get up to all sorts. But I guess making it known that you appreciate her love and that you will always be grateful and this will help her realise that she's not misunderstood. But make her know that you've missed opportunities to really grow socially because of it. I just hope that this upset doesn't become resentment for your mum. And I also hope that you can get the freedom you want.Good luck man.

Thanks a lot for the reply!! I'm sorry you went through this sort of thing as well, it's horrible. My mum isn't as concerned about be doing stupid things as she is about criminals. Whenever I'm out that's all she's thinking about. She thinks I'm going to get raped (she still uses this term --- and I'm a male --- I'm not sure how that works) wherever I go. It's ridiculous. I've tried the conversation thing multiple times, and there's absolutely no convincing her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending