The Student Room Group

should i even pursue a legal career? mitigating circumstances

Hello tsr i am seeking some advice!

I studied law at a decent redbrick university. i have poor gcses bur aabc at a levels.

I want to pursue a legal career as a paralegal/legal assistant for a regional law firm but only scraped a low 2.1 in my studies.

I suffer from severe anxiety/depression and chronic tension headaches and had to defer sitting my final examinations due to this condition. My Uni has acknowledged my extenuating circumstances and i have supporting medical evidence. I only sought help for my condition in my final yr - when i could no longer cope, but begun feeling really unwell in the 2nd yr of my studies itself and I really regret not seeking medical help sooner.

My concern is that i have only a low 2.1 overall and my final yr grades are poor:

70 intl human rights law
67 employment
61 criminal justice
60 criminology
56 family
56 writing credit

second yr results were low too
63 equity trusts
65 admin law
61 property law
research / writing 60
land 54 eu 52

i feel that I have been unable to prove my true intellectual capabilities. Is it even worth pursuing a legal career with my academics? I have considered studying for a llm but I am not sure it will help. I feel very lost and distressed.
You've got a 2.1 from a good uni, you're fine m8.

A couple months ago my sixth form got a visit from a barrister who got a 2.2 from London Met. If he can do it, anyone can. :biggrin:
Original post by driftingaway11

I want to pursue a legal career as a paralegal/legal assistant for a regional law firm

I suffer from severe anxiety/depression and chronic tension headaches and had to defer sitting my final examinations due to this condition.

i feel that I have been unable to prove my true intellectual capabilities. Is it even worth pursuing a legal career with my academics?

The issue you should be focussing on isn't your academic record, but your medical record. You need to focus on creating a change your health status in order to take up work, which is generally much more stressful than University, because you are dealing with real people and real lives. Your grades won't hold you back from being a paralegal in a regional firm, your severe anxiety and depression is very likely to.
GCSE's dont matter really.

I doubt they are bothered too much for paralegals, but they do normally want the LPC.
Do you have experience or good extra curriculars?
Do you interview well?
Obviously the standards for paras is lower as it is a pretty temporary job. It would be tougher if we were talking TC's.

My advice is:

1. Nothing to lose by trying, but they appreciate experience and the LPC. Talk to your local recruitment agencies.
2. If you get your foot in the door, then you cna build from there.
3. If are really determined, then you can get the experience that leads to a paralegal position. To know what it is they wnat look at job adverts.
4. Be aware that firms are businesses. They are less interested in people with mental health difficulties, so you have to think carefully how you are going to put yourself across if you mention depression. They dont want it or at least it has to have veen dealt with. They would be worried it would affect your work.
5. You sat you seem lost and distressed. Just make a plan, decide how much you want it and if you do, then spend a year or two trying imo and then you will know.
6. An LLM may or may not help you a bit. It is also expensive.
7. Depending what region of the country you are in then paras may be common or rare.
8. Maybe look at the cilex route as that way you cna work and study.
9. Maybe look at becoming a legal secretary? That would get you experience.
10. Get your head in the right place first.

ps what happened to Tort and Contract?
Reply 4
Original post by driftingaway11
Hello tsr i am seeking some advice!

I studied law at a decent redbrick university. i have poor gcses bur aabc at a levels.

I want to pursue a legal career as a paralegal/legal assistant for a regional law firm but only scraped a low 2.1 in my studies.

I suffer from severe anxiety/depression and chronic tension headaches and had to defer sitting my final examinations due to this condition. My Uni has acknowledged my extenuating circumstances and i have supporting medical evidence. I only sought help for my condition in my final yr - when i could no longer cope, but begun feeling really unwell in the 2nd yr of my studies itself and I really regret not seeking medical help sooner.

My concern is that i have only a low 2.1 overall and my final yr grades are poor:

70 intl human rights law
67 employment
61 criminal justice
60 criminology
56 family
56 writing credit

second yr results were low too
63 equity trusts
65 admin law
61 property law
research / writing 60
land 54 eu 52

i feel that I have been unable to prove my true intellectual capabilities. Is it even worth pursuing a legal career with my academics? I have considered studying for a llm but I am not sure it will help. I feel very lost and distressed.

I think you're being way too hard on yourself. With your qualifications and your mitigating circumstances you are fit to even pursue a training contract if you chose to. And yes even at a city firm. There are MANY people like you that make it through. You needed a 2:1 and you've got it regardless of if its high or low. Now move forward.

There should be no doubt on your end to pursue a career as a paralegal or legal assistant. You'll do just fine if you want it bad enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you will be fine. Consider pursuing qualification as a lawyer. You may not feel up to it now but if you like law then you will want to qualify you may find. Look into Cilex. Grades really aren't everything. I have only 229 u as points par example, and I am currently qualifying.

Law is actually a much wider church than you believe it to be now. Try not to get a criminal record though. That will put the dampness on it 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
220 ucas points

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending