The Student Room Group

Breaking into FO banking as a graduate.

Hi guys, just looking for some advice on my situation.

I have just graduated from the LSE with a borderline 2:1 (60) in law. Not a great final mark, but I had a host of personal issues in final year, and was just relieved to scrape the 2.1.

I've always considered going into IBD, but didn't get any joy when applying for summers. I decided to do a couple of vacation schemes (magic circle and US firms) but didn't really enjoy them, and it showed.

I'm now considering IBD again, but is too late, considering that I have now graduated? I have quite a lot of work experience, but unfortunately, most of it is legal related.

I was on the exec of the finance soc at LSE/did sports/have a variety of extra curricular, but very little 'tangible' experience in finance. I did lots of research when applying for summers, so have a basic understanding of the technicals needed for internships.

I am also considering doing a masters in Finance, would this help?

Thanks for any advice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Sorry if this is irrelevant but why exactly do you not want to go into law? Like you went into one of the best unis for law right?
Original post by mike1994
Hi guys, just looking for some advice on my situation.

I have just graduated from the LSE with a borderline 2:1 (60) in law. Not a great final mark, but I had a host of personal issues in final year, and was just relieved to scrape the 2.1.

I've always considered going into IBD, but didn't get any joy when applying for summers. I decided to do a couple of vacation schemes (magic circle and US firms) but didn't really enjoy them, and it showed.

I'm now considering IBD again, but is too late, considering that I have now graduated? I have quite a lot of work experience, but unfortunately, most of it is legal related.

I was on the exec of the finance soc at LSE/did sports/have a variety of extra curricular, but very little 'tangible' experience in finance. I did lots of research when applying for summers, so have a basic understanding of the technicals needed for internships.

I am also considering doing a masters in Finance, would this help?

Thanks for any advice.

Advice would be to utilise that fat LSE network you have access to - especially friends that graduated in the same year or a few years above you - to make yourself known and to have an 'in'.

Once you've built up a reputation or gotten yourself a few guaranteed referalls, I'd just start plugging into the application cycle again - for summers mind, full time is nigh on impossible without a summer analyst stint.

The MFin basically fills up a gap on your CV, doesn't boost it much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Advice would be to utilise that fat LSE network you have access to - especially friends that graduated in the same year or a few years above you - to make yourself known and to have an 'in'.

Once you've built up a reputation or gotten yourself a few guaranteed referalls, I'd just start plugging into the application cycle again - for summers mind, full time is nigh on impossible without a summer analyst stint.

The MFin basically fills up a gap on your CV, doesn't boost it much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers, will take that on board.

So just to clarify, are you in support of doing the MFin?

I have a job right now, so wouldn't have any 'gaps'?
Original post by mike1994
Cheers, will take that on board.

So just to clarify, are you in support of doing the MFin?

I have a job right now, so wouldn't have any 'gaps'?

Oh, I assumed you had already started the MFin. I'd say if you have the means to fund it and that wouldn't involve you taking on mounds of extra debt, it would be a sensible option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you cant get a summer why would you get ft

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending